Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #1

Do you drink the water from your RV water tank?

Curious...

While I do understand the "cleansing process, procedures and chemicals (bleach etc.) " used for this purpose, I remain curious.

After all of the cleaning efforts, "Do you drink the water from your RV water tanks or do you only drink store purchased water?
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
99% of the time we use the water from the tanks. Occasionally we will get a free flat of water with some other purchase and we consume that bottled water at our convenience.

We make ice as well from the tank.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Curious...

While I do understand the "cleansing process, procedures and chemicals (bleach etc.) " used for this purpose, I remain curious.

After all of the cleaning efforts, "Do you drink the water from your RV water tanks or do you only drink store purchased water?
We used the cleaning process for the fresh water tank in both our 2001 motorhome and our 2013 motorhome. We and the dogs drank the water from the tank of our first motorhome for over 12 years and from our current motorhome for another 3+ years.

We do purchase bottled water in addition, but it's used when we're on day trips away from the motorhome.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use the tank unless we are dry camping long enough that we supplement it with bottled water. I disinfect it every year, and add water freshener when i fill the tank. After 4 1/2 years the tank and water are pristine.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not concerned about the safety of the holding tank water...if I were I'd do what I have to do to remedy. We use it for coffee, iced tea, etc., but tend to drink bottled water for just drinking because of taste.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use bottled water for drinking and cooking. In the studs and stucco as well as the motorhome.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #7

Our home town, Anacortes, is one of the top 5 in the country for its water quality. When we were still active RVers, we always left home with the tank full and used it for drinking and cooking while it lasted. We hooked up to the CG water spigot for all other uses, but kept the rig's water tank separated so it didn't get contaminated.

If we were away from home long enough to empty the tank, we switched to bottled water unless the CG supply was good enough.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Our home town, Anacortes, is one of the top 5 in the country for its water quality. When we were still active RVers, we always left home with the tank full and used it for drinking and cooking while it lasted. We hooked up to the CG water spigot for all other uses, but kept the rig's water tank separated so it didn't get contaminated.

If we were away from home long enough to empty the tank, we switched to bottled water unless the CG supply was good enough.
We been drinking the fresh holding tank water for 23 years. Our travels have had our two motorhomes in 49 states, many of them multiple times.

The worst water we have encountered was in the Roswell, NM area, which was incredibly hard. I do use a water softener most of the time and always use a filter and a carbon filter in series.

We're full timers and have never had a problem when drinking the water from our tank.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Yes we use the tanks water when on the road and the parks when hooked up.

We have more filtration plus a water softener on our MH then we have on our SB why not use it?

Rving for 25 yrs no problem yet.
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #10
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Ours has full system filtration. I don't worry about it and use it. I just make sure I treat the tank every spring and let the water run a bit before putting it in the tank to get rid of possible rubber hose taste.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We have an inline water filter with a tap by the kitchen sink. We only drink, or cook with, filtered water. We use the water directly from the tank for everything else.

Buying water in bottles is not only bad for the environment, it's costly and a waste. The big water bottlers are Pepsi, Coke, and Nestlé. You're drinking glorified distilled water that costs more per gallon than your fuel. If you must have it, then buy plain old distilled water which cost around 45 cents a gallon.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #12

I drank water from a hot rubber garden hose growing up.
I drank water from a mountain stream while out hunting
I drank water made from sea water while in the NAVY
I drink water from our RV fresh water tank....it is nothing more than a large bottle for holding water.
What you put in is what comes out.

And the ONLY time I even bother with 'sanitizing' tank/system is when I first purchase the RV.
After that...no need to...................UNLESS you went and put crap water in.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All water entering the RV passes through an activated carbon filter

All water for DRINKING passes through (currently) a PUR filter as well (used to be a Brita but it broke and the thrift were I was voulenteering had a PUR, cheap).

Bottled water is, in most cases, a racket (Some places, like Flint, MI it's a must, though my filters likely could clean up Flint water.. i'd need to replace them every week).

Some states, Well all the water is "owned" by a company. so again you may not (Soon) have a choice.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #14

From the tank. We worked with rvwaterfilterstore on appropriate filtration. This includes a kitchen under the counter filtration that we used for drinking, coffee, etc.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com

Water quality varies greatly across the nation. From full municipal water systems, to water wells - you just never know what you may find.

We also carry a water softener, for times when it's needed.

Yearly water tank sanitation.

Proper hose, and proper hose hook up process. (We keep a spray bottle with a bleach solution in the water bay, always spray the hose bib before attaching the hose. Run the water for several gallons before hooking up to the coach.)

It only takes one bad source of water, to cause a problem. Some problems are a few days of discomfort. But some water born contamination, can be life changing.

As with your RV, proper maintenance adds to safety. We consider water source and common sense water handling/filtering processes - to be an extension to safety.

$.02... Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water