Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While I've driven many thousand of miles in the snow and blizzards that was all in cars and 4x4 trucks. Done 600 miles with chains on one trip. When I chain up all four tires on the RAM 4x4 I have no issue with pushing fresh snow up to about 24 inches. Doing this on rough unimproved mountains roads can be a different experience.

Since we live in the Rocky Mountain west and most winter trips anything north of here means mountain passes. The shortest route t[o our son's house includes four passes. We are retired and I will not drive either RV on snowy roads. I'll sit and wait it out until the roads are clear. Whereas I'm not afraid of snow I do respect it. It's the other drivers I worry about.

This pic was taken on second to last trip. We just waited two more days and the roads home were dry.

ATTACH]309748[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3154.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	309748  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 10:24 PM   #16

Got caught in 2 or 3 days of heavy snow in West Texas a couple years ago. Most car drivers were in the slow lane doing 30 mph. I got in the fast lane behind a convoy of trucks doing 50 or 60 mph. No problem because their 70000 lb weight and 18 wheels cleared the snow down to the pavement. Do the same in heavy rain, any depth of water is moved off the pavement before I get to it.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #17

Triple E Owners Club
We live in Alberta and its winter. We did two trips in the snow, one in the 5th Wheel and one in the 40' DP. Its ok but not relaxing at all. As said in a previous post, I'm not worried about my driving, its others I worry about. Its just not fun to drive as the roads are unpredictable. We hit a bad snow storm at Tremonton,UT on the I-15. Pulled over and waited for the snow to stop and the plows to clear the roads.
Its one thing to get caught in a snow storm, but another to start out in one.
Check the weather and be safe.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:35 AM   #18

Until recently we always used the coach for Thanksgiving and Christmas travel to be with family in the Midwest. We encountered plenty of winter weather over the years. Those days are over. Driving in it didn't rattle me. But the winter weather with snow, ice, salt, sand, etc. takes a heavy toll on the coach. Even the tow bar gets aged out quicker. However if you have a clear shot to get through with no weather predicted I'd have no problem with that. Cold temps are no issue.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:29 AM   #19

I have but it’s certainly not anything I like to do on a regular basis. It handled better than I thought it would but I would rather be safe than sorry, if I have the choice.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For more than 20 years we always left WI around the first of March for our favorite camp ground in Fl, It was a 3 day trip for us and we always made reservations at our favorite camp grounds on the way down. We had to get into southern IL on the fist day to find any camp grounds open in the winter months.

We quite often either left while it was snowing or would encounter snow along the way. We never had a problem with the snow as we always used the interstate highways and the trucks kept the roads fairly clean of snow. The problem was the salt treatment used on the highways. As we got further south we hoped to run into rain to clean off the salt on the under carriage.

We always planned to be home by April 1st and that was the problem for us. We usually encountered snow and ice when we got back to WI. We were lucky to have an enclosed attached garage for our RV when we got home with water and a floor drain. I would set up a lawn sprinkler at the back of the garage and after backing in the MH I would turn on the sprinkler and slowly pull the hose forward and wash the salt off the under carriage. After that I would hook up the nozzle to the hose and spray off the salt on the body.

We never had any concern driving in the snow as we were used to it but the salt was our big concern.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Even if you would start out in a snow storm with your RV you can be trapped in an unexpected storm. Happened to me in 2018 on the Dempster Highway in the Yukon in late June. Eight inches of snow and 60 mph winds on the open tundra. Turned it around and took shelter in a canyon about 20 miles back.

Driving in the snow in one thing, but when stuff goes wrong, flat or other trouble you may have no place safe to pull off the road. Many shoulders are way too soft when wet or very slick side slope. You may slide off more than intended or not be able to get back on the road.

Yea IF you have enough heavy truck traffic ahead of you the road maybe beat down to the pavement or compacted into slick ice. Many of our roads lack much any semi traffic, a different beast.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #22

On our snow ski trips we have been stuck several times. The most humorous time was when falling snow became too much so we pulled into a Walmart parking lot for the night, and await the road crews to clear the roads. We could hear snow plows scraping parking lots and roads all night long. When we woke up in the morning I was shocked to see 8 foot mounds all around the coach blocking us in!

I climbed up over one of the mounds and went in Walmart and as I passed a instore McDonalds I could hear several men laughing and saying " yea, when he wakes up and sees all of the snow surrounding his camper he will be royally PO'd". I stepped up to their table and said "that would be me, and can you tell me how on earth I can get out?" They all let out a loud belly laugh slapping each other and me on our backs and said "give us 15 minutes and we will have you ready to go.

Boys will be Boys
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #23

The simple answer here is that you WILL get as many opinions as there are snowflakes in a blizzard.
Just the fact that you asked this question says that you are concerned about the possibility of getting snowed in somewhere or driving on slick roads. Follow your gut instincts and do what you are comfortable with. I have no problem driving South from New England in the Winter but am not going to intentionally start out in nor drive into a snowstorm.
Again, do what you ( and DW ) are comfortable with.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Got caught in 2 or 3 days of heavy snow in West Texas a couple years ago. Most car drivers were in the slow lane doing 30 mph. I got in the fast lane behind a convoy of trucks doing 50 or 60 mph. No problem because their 70000 lb weight and 18 wheels cleared the snow down to the pavement. Do the same in heavy rain, any depth of water is moved off the pavement before I get to it.

- You ever try to stop 44,000 Pounds at 50 Miles Per Hour In even a Trace of Snow -

-

Wrong Answer.

I have driven in snow - Pushed Snow - Played in Snow - and have even Driven the Coach in the Colorado Mountains in the Snow - Best thing I can Suggest is not to Follow this ADVICE!

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #25

As Petro says. Snow is not the problem. Salt is. I totally agree.

People have gotten used to salted roads that they expect dry summer roads in the middle of a blizzard!

My thoughts are that when I spend many, many dollars times ten on a coach I will not want to expose it to salted roads. Frankly I just cannot afford it.

Driving on snow is no big deal. I have many years of winter driving in semi's including one winter to Newfoundland each week.

I think you have the right idea. Plan your trip.
Good luck.
We will be hibernating at home. Border is closed.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #26

Here in Minnesota, I drive snow - light snow, deep snow, whatever - routinely. In cars, trucks, and the RV.

But I draw the line at driving the RV anytime the temp is right around 31 degrees. A little moisture on the road and it's ice. And RV's don't do well on ice.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are those people who have the experience and skills to handle snow driving and those that don't. The two don't always mix well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-30-2020, 10:15 PM   #28

I assumed I would get a variety of suggestions. Didn’t anticipate I’d get one to drive fast behind trucks in the snow. I appreciate that suggestion but that’s one I wouldn’t feel comfortable trying. I’m going to leave myself plenty of time and try and dodge bad weather as much as I can. Thanks for all the help!