RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2020, 06:21 PM   #1

Do you drive when it's snowing....

We're leaving for Florida from Illinois in mid December. I have absolutely no desire to drive when it's snowing at any time. My wife seems to think we'll never get there and should drive if the snow is not predicted to be heavy. We now have a larger diesel (2021 Tiffin Phaeton 40IH) so at least it's heavier than our previous 34' gasser. I just don't feel comfortable testing this out. My plan is to get as far south as we can in a few days when the weather is predicted to be good. After that, I can deal with rain (no way with ice). Anyone drive in the snow or am I'm just ultra cautious?
EcoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have. Really nothing to it if you're careful and so is everyone else. One mistake by either party can be a disaster though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:37 PM   #3

Snowing is fine as long as it is not sticking on the roads. No way will I drive the coach on icy roads. And I've lived in Alaska and Montana the better part of my life. If you slide off the road it's most likely a total. Not worth the risk vs reward to me. (I was a truck driver on the pipeline haul road, I'm not afraid of it) I just drove from Boisie to Pahrump Nv with it snowing all the way past Tonopah, but the roads where staying wet, not icy.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #4

Yes, but in a snowplow. Never in the motorhome.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Shootist said it, as long as its not sticking. I also maintain extra distance from others.
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #6

I've driven in the snow alot over the years...Try not to in the Motorhome but have had to a few times. The biggest thing I don't like is a the deicer they put down now is really hard on a rig, and hard to clean after.
OldCoastG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoastG View Post
I've driven in the snow alot over the years...Try not to in the Motorhome but have had to a few times. The biggest thing I don't like is a the deicer they put down now is really hard on a rig, and hard to clean after.
Took the words right out of my mouth...
That CalMag crap they put down will really wreak havoc.
Our old 97 MinnieWinnie was mint. Drove it to Seattle one Christmas, snowed all the way there. No issues driving at all. Driveway mooched at sisters house a couple days, drove back home on a slush/ice covered mess. Parked in our driveway and waited for it to finally stop snowing, so about two weeks later I finally got around to clean up. Oh what a mess. The outside compartment locks were completely corroded, handles seized up, hinge pins frozen. Underside of chassis looked like it aged 30 years with rust. I literally sprayed a gallon of LPS everywhere.
It was never the same rig, Not even close.
So no, I won't intentionally drive my Rv in the snow.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #8

100% of replies say no, I agree with them. One solution is to leave 2-3 days early if snow/ice is expected, if necessary hole up until roads are cleared.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If there is an option not to I wouldn't drive in the snow.

I drove north through Wisconsin in late March and although it wasn't snowing the roads were covered in packed snow and black ice. This was in 2011 and they had just had a bad storm roll through. My butt cheeks puckered every time I approached a section of this stuff. You just never know. I stopped at a Walmart and there was snow banks around the entire parking lot, it was like a deep freezer, I ran the generator all night with space heaters in the basement to keep everything from freezing.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #10

We drive in snow several times every year when we take the coach to snow skiing areas. Our coach does real well in snow, not so much in icy conditions. Once on a rural mountain road in West Virginia the road was sort of clear, but where the plows windrowed the snow along the sides of the road it looked like we were in a snow tunnel!

Got stuck on a Interstate for several hours once when a truck vs truck accident shut things down. It was snowing to beat the band and by the time we all got underway again there was several inches to get through. It wasn't all that bad. Now when we got to the campground it was a different story. It was so slick I went ass over teakettle while walking around trying to dig out a spot.

Bottom line, driving on Interstates in snow usually is a no brainer. They are first to get treated.
One picture last year at Canaan Valley State Park (can you fine the satellite dish?) , the other one was 5 years ago at the same park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ski Caanan 2005 056 800 x 600.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	309737   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200126_130852.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	309738  

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #11

What you're driving is basically a commercial vehicle . I sure you've noticed snow doesn't shut the big rigs down.

I was raised in Chicago with family up through Green Bay , Wi. so driving in the snow was second nature . The Holidays were always an adventure traveling between family.

Drove Class A gassers and Class C's for hundreds of miles through snow storms. However it was in the Midwest where there aren't any mountains to deal with.

On the freeway I would shadow big rigs , letting them break a path . Keeping it slow with proper distancing. Compact snow actually provides decent traction and directional control.

Since moving to the Pacific NW there are two things that I draw the line with . Ice covered roads and snow in mountain passes . There were times when I had no choice and had to drive in both conditions . Fortunately no incidents , but it was exhausting and stressful .

Since being retired , I now wait for the roads to clear before continuing.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:13 PM   #12

Living in Chicago my entire life I’m accustom to driving in snow. For me, some of the worst times are when it’s not sticking but cold enough for the bridges to freeze from the moisture. I appreciate the comments and will hold my ground. We’ll make the trip when we have a good weather window. I try to trust my gut these days and I have fewer regrets.
EcoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:24 PM   #13

Your initial plan of checking the weather and finding a window of no snow/ice is a solid plan. Normally, we leave Chicago after Jan 1 and find that window to get us to Southern Illinois— preferably Nashville then you have less chance of snow. One mistake on snow could ruin your trip— so what’s a day or two ?? Good luck!
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:30 PM   #14

We carry snow chains, when we travel every year for Christmas. In California it is a must to carry (even if you don't plan on using them) while traveling through the Sierra mountains. You never know when rain will switch to sleet or snow.

Having lived in the Sierra foothills I've seen hail cover a dry road inside of 2-3 minutes, on a partly cloudy day. The higher you climb the mountains, the more unpredictable the weather can become. I'm sure Coloradans can vouch for being prepared.

We do our best not to get into a bad weather situation, but sometimes work, school and other obligations mean you need to travel in less than perfect weather. That does not give you license to be foolish and push through when you should not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chains.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	309747