Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2018, 09:19 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you drive with Jacks powered on or off

Recently my Jacks have been doing unexpected things. Noticed the other day that the pump ran when I switch on the ignition after the RV had set awhile. This indicated to me that the jacks had partially extended without a command.
I typically turn the power off after retracting or extending the leveling jacks.

Should the powers be on when traveling?
travelinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 09:27 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Depends on the system. Some say to drive with the system on so they will stay retracted. Others, like our HWH manual system on the '02 DSDP I shut off completely before moving.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've had 2 RV with power jacks and they both do what you have indicated. Often after parked for a time when I start the engine the jacks are powered on and the jacks will reset or withdraw into their full up position.

I don't know why they come down but know they won';t allow me to drive with the jacks not seated in their up position. Since it's not an issue for me I'm not going to take it in to be fixed. That is unless the jacks come down more than just off the up indicator.

There was one time while driving the jacks powered up and the buzzer sounded and I was not sure if I should activate the jacks to draw up. Eventually I decided to stop and returned the jacks to their rest position. The next time I was in traffic and just drew them to the up position without stopping. That only happened once.

With the jacks coming on after setting for some time I'm not worried about it so won't pursue any fixes.

Unless for some reason the buzzer alerts you and the power comes on NO the jack power should not be on when traveling. There's no reason to do so.

According to Mr. D some jacks systems are supposed to be on while traveling. That's a first for me but then again I never said I knew everything. If some say so then I guess that's just fine.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHogan View Post
Recently my Jacks have been doing unexpected things. Noticed the other day that the pump ran when I switch on the ignition after the RV had set awhile. This indicated to me that the jacks had partially extended without a command.
I typically turn the power off after retracting or extending the leveling jacks.

Typically,
Most Jack systems WILL NOT power up or activate WITHOUT the parking brake on. The parking brake normally provides a ground for the electrical side of the pump. In other words, the pump will not work unless there's a ground to run it and, without the parking brake on, there's no ground. At least that's the way I've been explained the HWH systems work and if I'm not mistaken, the Power Gear systems too. I could be way off here but, I know mine won't budge unless the parking brake is set. So, if your Jack system is powering up WITHOUT the parking brake on, well, that's a new one on me. It will be interesting on what you find is the problem.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Our hydraulic jacks on my Monaco are retracted by springs,(4 on each jack), and if the MH is started with the jack power on, a alarm will go off till you shut the power off on the jack controller! I have never tried to put it in gear with that alarm going off, so don't know if it would or not? I am betting it has a transmission lock out of some kind!

I would think a hydraulic up and down system, would have safety systems in place, that if your jack/jacks bleed down, the system would come on and retract them back to a stored position? Don't know? I guess reading the manual would give you a clue? Rail!
Old 10-31-2018, 04:09 AM   #6

I drive with my electric jacks powered off. The controller is on the arm rest and I do not want to accidentally hit a button while driving. I found out by accident if the jacks are down just a little when I put the motorhome in drive, they will go into retract mode even with the power off.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
happened to us once......coming to a stop, jack panel sounded an alarm..........jacks still retracted......found out, on ours anyway, the hydraulic fluid tank had rusted and sprung a leak, the low fluid level sent a signal that triggered the alarm.........evidently the stop sloshed the fluid to the point of triggering an alarm..........solution, new hydraulic tank..............no more leaks, no more alarms.........................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:46 AM   #8

I travel with the jacks powered off unless I forget. Mine are manual control so there is no way for them to deploy unless the lever is moved and held to the down position. Nice and simple , but no auto level feature.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:05 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sure the different systems have different ways of locking out doing something stupid by accident.

On our HWH system on the 1999 Dutch Star it could be activated while driving because that was the system I mentioned in my post above. I remember alerting us while driving that a jack was not seated. I did activate the return while moving.

On the current Lipert system if you put it in drive with the jacks down it will automatically activate the return. Ask me how I know? Only did it once in our driveway. All the other times when I start the engine if 1 or more of the jacks are not seated it will activate manually or if you put it in gear with the parking brake on or off.

With either system we never had to have any repairs. The HWH system had return springs but there are no return springs on our current system.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:20 AM   #10
Commercial Member

its in the manual. you know, that bunch of papers gathering dust in a cupboard.
each jack mfg has their own way of having that safety feature built into their system.

the hwh system is designed so that the pump will not run unless the park brake is set. the store function will. this is the only feature that works without the park brake being set.
thats so the jacks can be retracted while moving.

in fact, if you leave the system on, and drive away, the system will time out, shut off, and monitor the jacks so that if one comes down, it will automatically retract.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
its in the manual. you know, that bunch of papers gathering dust in a cupboard.
each jack mfg has their own way of having that safety feature built into their system.

the hwh system is designed so that the pump will not run unless the park brake is set. the store function will. this is the only feature that works without the park brake being set.
thats so the jacks can be retracted while moving.

in fact, if you leave the system on, and drive away, the system will time out, shut off, and monitor the jacks so that if one comes down, it will automatically retract.

Didn't understand this when I bought mine as I had been instructed differently at the time of purchase. Although I often times forget, once I do the final start to begin driving, I hit the "store" button and the system will time out at two minutes Iif just moving the coach to connect the towed, etc. I don't bother). Previously, or when I forget, especially if it is hot out, the jacks will come down some while driving and the alarm will sound. If I hit the "store" button prior to beginning to drive this doesn't happen.

I have the HWH system, can't speak to others.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:13 PM   #12

Mine used to go off when we went thru Birmingham down I65. Checked the fluid level and it was fine. Read the manual, and it said the fluid level was low. Added a pint and all is quite now when we go thru Birmingham
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHogan View Post

Your jacks retract with hydraulic pressure. Lets say that your retract switch has a cut-off pressure is 3000psi and a cut-on pressure of
2000 psi. When you retract, the pump runs with all the valves set to the retract position, It takes almost no pressure to retract the jacks but when all the jacks hit bottom in the retract position, the pressure will go up to 3000 psi and the pressure switch will shut the pump off and all the valves will close.
If one or more of the closed valves leak slightly over a day, a week, or whatever and allows the pressure to drop below the 2000 psi cut-on pressure, as soon as you turn the key on, the pump will start and re-establish the 3000 psi retract pressure and then shut off. This could also happen wile driving and the system doesn't need to be turned on.

This doesn't mean a jack is down, just that the retract pressure has dropped below what the switch limit calls for.

Tags
jacks, power