Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2020, 07:20 AM   #1

Do you give your RV a break?

Hello all

We have a lot of questions lately. Every day is a learning curve for us.

A little back story…..Our family would like to plan a trip from Illinois to Yellowstone. We had thought about driving about 7 hours the first day which would put us around Fairmont MN. We had planned on stopping for a night and then driving the next 7 plus hours to the Badlands. We also thought about driving straight through from Illinois to the Badlands and then stopping for a night. This would give us extra time to sightsee around this area before heading to Yellowstone.

My husband had questioned the amount of time driving. He is worried about driving the RV for 14 hours straight. Please keep in mind, he is not worried about the mental or physical exhaustion of driving. We have 4 drivers who can take a turn at the wheel. What he was wondering is if it would be too taxing on the RV itself.

How long is too long of a drive for an RV? Do people stop not because they are tired but do they stop to give the RV a break? I know this may sound like a silly question as we never gave our truck a break when we used to vacation with it but RV travel is new to us.

Thank you!
6ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2020, 07:32 AM   #2

in My opinion it isn't hard on the RV at all to drive all day, hardest part on engines is extended idling and start/stops. It would prefer to keep going until scheduled maintenance is required.
Leonandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:37 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Assuming the RV has no mechanical issues, driving for 14 hours, or 24, or however long you can take it without a proper rest break is fine.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ofus View Post
Hello all

A little back story…..Our family would like to plan a trip from Illinois to Yellowstone. We had thought about driving about 7 hours the first day which would put us around Fairmont MN. We had planned on stopping for a night and then driving the next 7 plus hours to the Badlands. We also thought about driving straight through from Illinois to the Badlands and then stopping for a night. This would give us extra time to sightsee around this area before heading to Yellowstone.

My husband had questioned the amount of time driving. He is worried about driving the RV for 14 hours straight. Please keep in mind, he is not worried about the mental or physical exhaustion of driving. We have 4 drivers who can take a turn at the wheel. What he was wondering is if it would be too taxing on the RV itself.

How long is too long of a drive for an RV? Do people stop not because they are tired but do they stop to give the RV a break? I know this may sound like a silly question as we never gave our truck a break when we used to vacation with it but RV travel is new to us.

Thank you!
It's really no different than the Truck you drove with no thought - would help if we knew what you were driving - but not change the answer.

Diesels love to run - many stay in service for thousands of hours straight - Think Generators and Boats - The RV will just need good standard safety/service practices - Tires and Oil come to mind along with the Temperature and Batteries.

Pretty much the same with all the latest gas vehicles - just keep an Eye on the basics.

We often travel 12-14 hour days - not as much as we once did but not all of us are retired, so time is still critical to the Kids and Grands.

I have never been much for Reservations - BUT - this year is Different - things are Filled - You Need a Solid Plan and Good reservations to make this trip a success.

Last note - carry a few tools - and a few spare items that are often needed in RV land - Hoses and washers - Electrical tester and a few fuses - antifreeze - oil - good Duck Tape - luck and a little knowledge will also help. We just did a family reunion trip for three weeks in the Rockies - Yellowstone to Taos - Dad (ME), fixed a lot of RV's issues while we were out, in all three RV's - Class A Diesel - Class C rental Gas - and Travel trailer - all needed something often as we toured, so just keep that in mind.

The Trip was Great and would not Trade it for Anything,

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #5

Remember that your RV is just a truck with a house on it. As long as it is within its design limits, you could run it 24 hours a day stopping only to put fuel in it. The RV isn't the limiting factor in distance or time traveled. The comfort and safety of the passengers is the primary consideration. Traveling in an RV should be a relaxing experience. 400-500 mile days is our comfort day. Four people riding in an RV for 14+ hours would not be fun.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't see any problems with doing that unless you would be driving a lot of steep mountain passes where the RV could overheat. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's a machine not a horse, dog, goat, hamster or even a human. It can be operated continuously, within the designed limits, with only occasional stops for routine maintenance. It doesn't need a rest, a break, a warm shower, a cool beverage or anything other than recommended maintenance performed within the recommended interval.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Do you give your RV a break?

I would make sure to check oil level, coolant level, tire pressure, etc after each “break”. Check around, and underneath the engine area for any leaks, drips, etc. I find these “breaks” are necessary to make sure everything is working as it should.....the consequence of not doing this is a possible breakdown on the side of the road, in the dark, when trouble could have been seen coming.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:01 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ofus View Post
Hello all

Thank you!

Many good replies here and all factual.
That said possibly what your husband is referring to is leaning towards the fact that it is somewhat new to you.
In other words leaning to the side of caution.
No sense on your first time out on a long trip finding out the quirks of your rv by surprise.
It's nice in my opinion to go easy does it until I get to know my machine a bit better.
I hate learning things the hard way. Once you get a feel for it and how it acts then you can let it feel her oats, so to speak.
FusionKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:52 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
We used to leave north Alabama at 5:00 Friday night and arrive in Cheyenne Wyoming by 5:00 Saturday night. Did that trip many times. You don't indicate what kind of RV or it's condition, but any RV in decent condition should be capable of driving more or less continuously except the half hour stops to pump 75-100 gallons of fuel.

The comfort of those driving and riding in said RV will depend significantly on the RV in question though!
Old 07-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I did several 12 hr days by myself. Usually at least 500miles. I did 1050 one day. If the coach is older you might end up having some of your engine compartment heat insulation begin to lose its adhesion.. just make sure it doesnt drop down on anything.

looks like you got a v10 triton, Id watch coolant temps and see if you can monitor oil temps.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
The RV doesn't care. Id even say that starting/stopping does more wear and tear than keep going.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:56 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Waiter and a few others are right—— the machine is made to go from A to B, and does so with aplomb and finesse... almost as if it enjoyed it, which in point of fact it DOES! Experience has shown that heavy work vehicles do their best when they run regularly. Big engines love stability. Long haul OTR truckers might run their engine several days non-stop; fishing trawlers and long liners run continuously for two weeks or more; and the 747 freighters I used to fly averaged 17 hours/day in the air.
So gave a ball!!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:27 AM   #14

Driver fatigue is the primary concern
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote