Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2021, 06:54 PM   #1

Do you have an In Motion Satellite?

I’d you have an In Motion Satellite. Would you order it again if ordering a new coach?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
YC1

Had one when we bought our RV new in 2008. It was a great setup and worked till the day I sold it. I changed to a Travler because of the HD signals.

I am not familiar with new systems at all. I think we might have used the in motion feature two times in all. It was great when pulling into an rv spot. It would find the satellite quickly and if not, often moving just a few feet would get the signal.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #3

Never owed one but think it would be great if your traveling with kids, would keep them occupied.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:33 PM   #4

Bought one ~15 years ago and installed it. Used it every trip, driving and parked. Still use it today.

BUT. Wouldn't spend a penny on one now. Same money will by a lot of internet access.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:14 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The set up I had the prior owner paid for. Was OK but with most of my travels being east of the the Appalachia Mountains along the east coast with lots of trees and such had a lot of signal losses while on the move. The biggest down check was once we arrived at a camp site that did not have a clear view of the southwest from where the coach was parked.

When the antenna died I replaced with a carry out that I can place just about anywhere for a clear view of the satellites. I would not order again due to where I travel and camp. I also would not install a roof mounted antenna for the same reason.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:54 AM   #6

Yes, and yes.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We had an old TracVision SL5 but replaced it with a Tailgater when we switched to Dish last year. We used it some when traveling but it wasn't a big deal with us!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:59 AM   #8
YC1

When traveling with grandkids they always had a pile of movies to watch on DVD. Mostly Disney stuff they have seen dozens of times but it sure kept them content.

So our in motion while traveling was very very rare indeed.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:11 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We had one on our Dutchstar when we purchased it. In 2016, After a trip up to Alaska and then up to Maine for the fall, we took it to the dealer and had it replaced with the Winegard Trav'ler. The in motion worked less than 50% of the time due to trees, clouds, etc. We never used it while driving. We now receive satellite around 80% of the time.

Ken
Old 01-13-2021, 11:12 AM   #10

We have an in motion satellite as well and never used it in three years. So many options out there as stated earlier. And mostly it’s my wife and I and how much is worth watching anyway?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:16 AM   #11

Absolutely.. YES !
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I had an in motion satellite on my last MH. Rarely used it for in motion use, even when the g'kids were with us. DVD player works just as well for them. Now using a Trav'ler dish.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:29 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
DW uses the in motion feature to record day time programs for later viewing.

We do the same thing when parked, except do not need the in motion.

I hate commercials even if someone else is watching them.....! So most TV is recorded.

Mostly sports and her favorite soaps etc.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I've had two expensive in motion satellite dishes. They were both terrible and expensive to repair or update.
Current satellite TV providers use multiple satellites to provide programming. A home dish is large enough to pull in all three satellites without re-aiming. The in motion dish is so small that when you change channels it has to reposition on a new satellite. It always seems to fail when my wife is watching her favorite show. It even looses the program when the auto-leveling system re-levels.

The other issue is satellite providers "spot beam" local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox) to the local area you have your address assigned to. Many times it's difficult to get the satellite provider to change this and you miss the main channel programs.
Never again.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite