Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #29

erator
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
you are correct, mel. 120v for fridge on main panel is on, but the power outlet at the back of fridge reads 3v. not sure why no power there as microwave works so inverter is working....
CountryFit
Your inverter may not have anything to do with the operation of your refriferator.
In many (most?) coaches the refrigerator receptacle is not powered by the inverter, (only when there is shore or generator 120VAC power).
While driving on the road the only way to operate the refrigerator in my coach is with LPG, (unless I run the genset)....but I can run my microwave on inverter power.

If you have shore power and the refrigerator receptacle reads only 3V that needs to be corrected.

BTW, if the fridge receptacle is dead you can test the 120V operation of the fridge, and it's automatic switching, by plugging it into an extension cord that's plugged into shore power while it is running on LP.

Good luck.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #30

We've been RVing over 30 years and have always run ours on propane on the road.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #31

Yes.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #32

Yep. They were made for it.

Dave and Nola - RVM1
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #33
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
erator

CountryFit
Your inverter may not have anything to do with the operation of your refriferator.
In many (most?) coaches the refrigerator receptacle is not powered by the inverter, (only when there is shore or generator 120VAC power).
While driving on the road the only way to operate the refrigerator in my coach is with LPG, (unless I run the genset)....but I can run my microwave on inverter power.

If you have shore power and the refrigerator receptacle reads only 3V that needs to be corrected.

BTW, if the fridge receptacle is dead you can test the 120V operation of the fridge, and it's automatic switching, by plugging it into an extension cord that's plugged into shore power while it is running on LP.

Good luck.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel, i plugged in 110v at the back access door to fridge, the indicator on front panel stayed at ac, which was good. but, somehow the compressor didn't kick off, looks like i need to dig in more on this.

another thought is to run on solar-inverter. i am thinking the compressor might consume just a little power, maybe 50-100 watts? if so, with a small mod, the inverter 120v power can be provided to the fridge, then the fridge will be full time on ac.

thoughts?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
We've been RVing over 30 years and have always run ours on propane on the road.
Ditto here..... Since about 1968 propane always on while traveling.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Did a quick check on the web. Ontario allows travel with propane on but all propane appliances are required to be turned off while refueling the vehicle.

In Ontario anyway it appears to be your choice.

We travel with it off as we feel we do not need it on. Beer is cold and steaks are frozen at end of day.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Did a quick check on the web. Ontario allows travel with propane on but all propane appliances are required to be turned off while refueling the vehicle.

In Ontario anyway it appears to be your choice.

We travel with it off as we feel we do not need it on. Beer is cold and steaks are frozen at end of day.
OK now fess up. In Ontario beers and steaks left outside 65% of the year are cold and frozen. I know I usta live there about 600 miles northwest of Trauna. Twenty or so years ago I moved to Bring Cash.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #37

Quote:
mel, i plugged in 110v at the back access door to fridge, the indicator on front panel stayed at ac, which was good. but, somehow the compressor didn't kick off, looks like i need to dig in more on this.

another thought is to run on solar-inverter. i am thinking the compressor might consume just a little power, maybe 50-100 watts? if so, with a small mod, the inverter 120v power can be provided to the fridge, then the fridge will be full time on ac.

thoughts?
CountryFit
You could do that.
However, there's a reason that most RV refrigerators aren't wired to operate on power from the inverter....(they draw quite a lot from the house batteries).
An "absorption refrigerator", (like your Dometic RM1272), running on LPG 24/7 uses very little battery and not much propane.

May I ask why don't want to simply run the fridge on LP when you don't have shore or genset 120V power?
That's what I do, (and I expect most other boondockers do as well).

BTW, absorption refrigerators have no compressor, (nothing kicks off, or on, or makes a noise when they are operating on 120VAC).

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles, (mine since '01)
Old 06-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Arch, even one fire was too many for me to take the risk!
What about one crash too many. Do you leave the RV in the driveway so as not to take that far bigger risk.

Yes, I travel with the fridge running on propane, and the inverter running, and the furnace running if it is cold, and the generator powering the AC if it is stinking hot and the dash AC can't cope.

And I wear my seat belt at all times and the rig is fully insured.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #39
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
May I ask why don't want to simply run the fridge on LP when you don't have shore or genset 120V power?
That's what I do, (and I expect most other boondockers do as well).

BTW, absorption refrigerators have no compressor, (nothing kicks off, or on, or makes a noise when they are operating on 120VAC).

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles, (mine since '01)
hi mel, cost of lp is minimum, not my concern. my major concern is the fire from lp/fridge after seeing so many fire incidents. maybe i am overreacting... the fact that quite a number of users are opting resi fridge, which has no propane, and overwhelmingly happy about the swaps, could explain. since my fridge rm1272 is relatively new, if i am just using the ac function (shut off lpg supply), it should be as safe as resi fridge... i could be wrong, and my mind could change as well
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #40

Quote:
hi mel, cost of lp is minimum, not my concern. my major concern is the fire from lp/fridge after seeing so many fire incidents. maybe i am overreacting... the fact that quite a number of users are opting resi fridge, which has no propane, and overwhelmingly happy about the swaps, could explain. since my fridge rm1272 is relatively new, if i am just using the ac function (shut off lpg supply), it should be as safe as resi fridge... i could be wrong, and my mind could change as well
CountryFit
Far more houses catch fire every day than RVs.
Nothing or no place is safe.
A % of people that go into the hospital don't get out alive.
I know that a lot of people die in bed, (but I don't sleep on the floor).
If everyone worried about everything that might happen nobody could enjoy anything.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Do you keep fridge running on LPG while driving?

Yes, we ran the fridge on LP the entire time during our month long 5,000 mile trip last summer and we'll do it again this summer. After all that and many more trips and running the heater some during the winter I'm still at 1/4 tank. Time for the annual propane fill, lasts at least a year for us.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #42

I like living life on the edge, so yes, over the years of owning four RV's with both Dometic and Norcold brands, I've always ran the refrigerators on LP while traveling. I do try to remember to turn it off while refueling and in California, I'm required to turn it off going through tunnels.

Knock on wood, I've never had any kind of failure with any of them.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge