Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #1

Do you know of a GPS for rural America?

I currently have "CoPilot for RV" and I'm very pleased with it. The ability to plug in the size, weight and hight of your Class A and be routed accordingly is a big deal.

My DW and I plan to take a lot of rural trips getting from one place to another. If we're in a time constraint we'd obviously use the interstate system. But mostly we're thinking of going through rural America to see the small towns and enjoy the local small town things offered.

It's great looking through an atlas and plotting a trip, but we'd really like to be able to do this with a GPS. If not CoPiolet than something else!

I really don't want to start a conversation on "what GPS is best etc? There are all kinds of that information here already. I'd just like to know if there is a GPS system oriented specifically towards rural travel? And something easy to understand and use! Some things are so difficult to understand its not worth the learning curve!

Thanks guys,

Harry
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Harry, I don't know of a GPS specifically geared toward rural America, but the Garmin GPS units have detailed maps of every highway, county road, gravel road, dirt road and even ATV trails all over the country. I use an RV760LMT in my motor home, which has a 7" screen and a Zumo 350 on my motorcycle and in the Jeep that has a smaller screen. Both of them use the same maps and you can plan routes ahead of time using BaseCamp then download them to the GPS. The RV760 also lets you put in size and weight of the motor home to help avoid roads you don't want to be on. The smaller Zumo sometimes tries to route me down a gravel road on the motorcycle, even though I have avoid those types of roads turned on. Either the roads aren't properly tagged, or it's a fault in the unit's software.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Harry, we use Google maps for a lot of things. Like you we also travel the off the beaten path. Finding places or roads we'd like to see is easy to do. I usually will go to satellite views and zoom in and it allows me to actually see if the side trip is worth it or if it's a waste of time. You can even use it to see what the road is like as you can virtually travel the road.

Hope this helps!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #4

WyoFree-

The answer to your first question is "No."

As to your follow-on questions, as you point out, many other iRV2 threads have already answered them.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #5

And if you did not get it the first time get a unit that takes the size and weight of the motor home as inputs. That should do most of the work for you. Then keep in mind your size and weight and try to stay on marked truck routes.

At least part of the issue is what you are driving. A 23 ft C is light enough to run down a lot of roads a 45 ft DP can't go. You are probably somewhere in between.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #6

I would assume any GPS would work on rural roads. I know a Garmin will. Every road is in its base except for, perhaps, some one-track forest roads.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #7

They will work but the one's that take an input for weight and size should also know about bridge problems and local weight limits.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #8

You could consider looking at Memory Map. You can load any map into the computer...Topo maps to road maps.
The program needs to be loaded into a laptop. You then hook a small gps unit to it via cable and it then marks your tracks. You can plot routes etc.
oldgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #9

Thanks for your input guys,

I think what I'll do is use the old (actually new) Rand McNally and plot my course manually by city. That way I can plug my cities into CoPiolet and have it plot my course. In other words, force if off the interstates based on the cities I input.

I also like that from the standpoint of spending time actually plotting the course with a map. I'll understand where I'm going better and should work well for me.

Thanks again for you help.

Harry
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps