Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #43

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I know that your post goes back to 2013, but just for the record there are 4 states the require a CDL to drive an RV if certain conditions are met. Just don't want anyone in those states to be unaware of the law:

DC >26K pounds requires CDL to drive a motorhome. (According to officials, a CDL is required above 26,000 lb. Must pass the CDL knowledge test, but the road test is not required.)

HI >26K pounds requires CDL to drive a motorhome. (Class 4 license required for trailers weighing more than 15,000 lb and less than 26,000 lb. CDL implied above 26,000 lb.)

IN > 45 feet requires CDL to drive a motorhome

WI > 45 feet requires CDL to drive a motorhome (RV exemption in CDL manual: "motor home, fifth wheel mobile home,... provided it isn't longer than 45 feet" )
-----------
Information from Changing Gears with links to DL Web Site(s)
That is just what I said, you are required to have a higher class of license, but not a CDL for a private vehicle. You are not driving a Commercial vehicle unless you do it for pay.
Quote:
Commercial Driver's License

When discussing driver's license requirements for large RV's, the Commercial Driver's License (CDL) topic often follows closely behind. To answer common questions about the CDL, we have compiled the following summary:
  • CDL is administered by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
  • FMCSA defines minimum requirements that all states must meet when issuing CDL's
  • States are free to define more stringent CDL rules
  • FMCSA regulations only address commercial motor vehicles (CMV)
  • RV's used strictly for recreational and other non-commercial functions do not meet the FMCSA definition of a CMV
Note the above
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #44

Wink California Class B

Calif. requires a class B for "HOUSECAR" over 40 feet. The interesting thing is not any of the DMV's I dealt with knew anything about it. Read up before you go. It requires a drive test which specifically is NON-COMMERCIAL Class B. technically checking brakes for the test is not required.
Jimmyb12015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #45

do you need a CDL to be driving these class A RVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionist View Post
hi there
i am a newbie looking to get a class a diesel pusher soon. some one asked me if i had my CDL. as far as i know from the research i have done i dont need one.
can any one provide some info.
i will be on the road for 10-11 months in 40+ states. my home base is PA
thanks for the help.
sam

PA requires non-commercial class B if over 26K lbs gross weight. Mine is 44,600.
I studied the CDL manual and learned a great deal about brakes and maneuvering.
No written test. Must know the air brake stuff. 15 minute driving test. It was 15 bucks.
I can maneuver where many folks would not dare to, nor have a clue. And I know air brakes well enough to know if there is a problem. So, it is more than being legal and qualified, it is, MOST IMPORTANTLY, about safety!!!!
I think studying the CDL manual can be valuable to ANY RVer. PDFs are easily available online.
Here is for PA:
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/drivers_m...l_manual.shtml
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #46
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I guess it all comes down to the eye of the beholder, the officer that stopped anyone, and the judge, as to how the law is to be interpreted. I wonder which one would win.

I went to the WI DL manual and it specifically states in their manual that a CDL is required if the length is "longer" than 45 ft. I wonder how many MH's there are longer than 45'. I'm not going to take the time to research any of the other states manual. The person in their specific state can do the homework.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited: In regards to the question "do you need a CDL to be driving these class A RV," I guess the answer is, "It all depends on where you are and who you talk to."
Whatever Mr D. I don't write the rules and regulations. I can tell you about Texas. What you see in my posts is what I read. The states can use there own more stringent rules. So those four states require a CDL if the conditions are met. Those are the state rules and have nothing to do with the FMCSA.

I will not replay anymore to this thread as this topic has been covered over and over and over again.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #47

do you need a CDL to be driving these class A RVs

Glad I don't have to worry about any of this. KY requires no special license. When I move back to FL they don't require anything other than regular operators license.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:00 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
Here's a question that I have never seen answered. WE know about reciprocal agreements, i.e, if you are legal in your state of residence, you are legal in all states. But, what if you are not legal in your home state (like for instance you have a 41 footer and no class B Non-commercial) can you be legal in a state where there is no special licensing requirement?
I can answer your question. NO is the answer. The reason why is because all of the posters that used the term reciprocity used it incorrectly. If you are an attorney and your state your licensed in has reciprocity in another state you can apply for a license in that state without taking the bar exam. In the case of drivers licenses it is not actually reciprocity but a section of the US constitution. It is under the Full Faith and Credit act. If you have a drivers license issued in another state for example my state of Arkansas. All other states have to honor Arkansas law for the requirements of the license. If i was violation of Arkansas law with my license I would be in violation no matter what state I was in.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
Look at the back of your drivers license and you'll see the 26,001 notation. From what you say you want to buy, you'll need to get the Class B license in PA.
This was the perfect answer for me. I had been wondering if I needed a Class A or B or maybe even just get a CDL. Then, I looked at the back of my Florida license. It simple states "Endorsements: Class E Any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR less than 26,001 lbs. or any RV" A Class E license is the normal license issued.
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Priherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #50

This is also a good website I found that lists every states requirements:

RV Driver's License Requirements
Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
If anyone is reading this from Ontario, a Class D is required for about >26000 pounds (rounding from metric), and an air brake endorsement is required if you have air brakes. License plates are unrelated to this and insurance companies don't ask (and I don't understand why).

The Class D requires a medical and is a limited form of CDL. It is the same as a full CDL, except that you are limited to towing weight of about 10000 pounds. You are not road tested for tractor trailer related topics. When I took the brake road test, it was a full CDL test, including tractor trailer topics.

A class D driver can drive a dump truck or similar vehicle.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs