Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Do you perform your own maintenance tasks on your DP?

If you do your own maintenance on your MH, where do you order your filters?
I want to do the Trany, Oil, Genset, Oil and Air and have the filters but I don't think you can just pick these up at any autoparts store. Perhaps I am wrong.

My guess is Truck Stops, Speedco, CW.

I could not find a on-line source. If you have a good source I can order from let me know.

Thanks
James
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 10:46 PM   #2

I do all my own maintenance and get the filters at Cummins for engine and gen. The transmission filters set I get at Allison. If you don't have oem engine service in your area napa can cross all filters but I prefer to obtain fuel,oil and coolant filters from cummins.I used cat filters when I had a cat.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:52 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Filter Barn or Direct from the Cummins site although I do go direct to the Cummins dealer at times.
Today i got my Cummins Power club renewal. Saved me about $1,200 last year, just not sure it'll save enough this year to pay for itself since we aren't going to be doing much, if any, traveling.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:17 PM   #4

If you could not find any on-line info about DIY maintenance or where maintenance items can be found, Speedco or similar might be your best bet.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:56 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
I do all my own maintenance and get the filters at Cummins for engine and gen. The transmission filters set I get at Allison. If you don't have oem engine service in your area napa can cross all filters but I prefer to obtain fuel,oil and coolant filters from cummins. I used cat filters when I had a cat.
Yep, not worth trying to save a few ¢ and end up paying $$ for repairs!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, not worth trying to save a few ¢ and end up paying $$ for repairs!
Do you think the OEMs actually make their own filters? No, no they don't. They do however mark them up a fair bit. If you know who makes the filters, you can often find them for less through a third party. They just won't have "Cummins" or "Cat" on them. For example: $21 each for the hydraulic filters in my rig from Cummins, or $15 each for the exact same filters from the local parts store. That's not just a few cents.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:09 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Do you think the OEMs actually make their own filters? No, no they don't.
But they are made too the OEM specification. And the cheaper ones?
And they cheaper ones are not the exact same filter inside.

Ever hear that saying. Pay me now or Pay much more $$$ later.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:14 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Good info.... I wonder if I can do maint in a RV park?

Thanks everyone! & Mr D for the Filter Barn info. I know that at one time I read about Filter Barn but could not remember the name or find that thread any place. My google searches were not finding any leads either.

It appears that an aftermarket device was placed on the drain plug by the previous owner to help simplify oil draining. I have at the ready 5 clean, empty gallon jugs to drain oil and I purchased a Cement mixing pan at Home Depot. They are rectangular and large enough to catch any spill. Also salvaged some cardboard & smaller poly tarp to keep ground clean.

I had hoped to do this in storage area, but just IF we are out on the road where are good places for "do - it yourselfer's" to work on your DP?

It would be ideal to do it in a RV park but something tells me they frown on us working on the DP there. I know many do not want us to wash them there or post on park rules. Yet, I have seen it done. If it is not posted, just do it? Or ask then be told NO. Practice the Don't ask, Don't tell policy....?
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
Do you think the OEMs actually make their own filters? No, no they don't. They do however mark them up a fair bit. If you know who makes the filters, you can often find them for less through a third party. They just won't have "Cummins" or "Cat" on them. For example: $21 each for the hydraulic filters in my rig from Cummins, or $15 each for the exact same filters from the local parts store. That's not just a few cents.

Actually Cummins owns Fleetguard. There is a poster here, who hasn't been very active lately, who is a retired field engineer for Fleetguard. He has vast experience in the filtration business and was an enormous help to me on several occasions. Gary posted as "Spike45".
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I try to as much of my own maintenance as possible.

The internet is a great tool to do research on how to do something, almost every aspect of any maintenance job can be found.

I use Fleetguard filters on the engine and I have a list of all my filters, when it is time to do maintenance I get on line and search for the best prices including shipping. There is a wide range of prices for the same filters so it pays to shop around. If practical I will buy enough filters for a couple of services to save on total cost.

Allison filters can be found at numerous sources and it pays to shop around there also, same with the Transynd oil. The first time I did my oil & filter change it was actually cheaper to buy it on line and have it shipped then buy it locally.

I will perform my regular maintenance at home. I will do normal checks on the road and if necessary do repairs.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'm like Jim, I do as much of my own maintenance as I can. I think I can do most of the routine maintenance and even some of the minor repairs. I've been collecting tools that I don't have like 12 ton jack stands and a jack that can lift the coach. I still need a big torque wrench or torque multiplier.

I order filters from Ryder Fleet services and use Cummins oil, fuel, and coolant filters. They also carry the Nelson hydraulic filters at $10.29 each. Are they the cheapest? No, but it's convenient and the parts show up in two days with a reasonable shipping charge.

I bought hydraulic fluid locally because I could buy it in 1 gallon jugs instead of a 5 gallon pail. It cost about 30% more, but it was more convenient.

I'm going to pay to have my transmission fluid changed from regular to synthetic because I don't want to dispose of that much ATF. It'll cost more, but I live in the country and don't have a good place to get rid of it.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:11 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
If you do your own maintenance on your MH, where do you order your filters?
Thanks
James
Not seen the recommendation for Amazon or Ebay yet, have had great luck getting my Fleetguard filters from both these sights. Also just Google your filter number and every now and then you get a pleasant surprise.
Anyway do most of my maintenance now. I did pay $450.00 for transmission service a few months back, then found a YouTube video to do it myself next time. Labor where I live starts at $85.00 to 120.000 an hour, do not know about you, but I will do everything I can do to save the labor/shop fees, not to mention the vendors mark up on parts.

Good luck brother!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:14 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
ryder fleet products or my local fleetpride

Heavy Duty Truck Parts, Truck Repair Tools, Shop Safety Products
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I use filterbarn.com, fleetfilter.com, local NAPA stores, or even local Cummins shops (last resort!). None of this stuff is hard to find if you know the part numbers, and most brands can cross-reference if you have the part # for another.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance