Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2021, 06:04 PM   #1

Do You Polish Your Motorhome?

I just washed and polished our 43' coach. I keep telling myself "Never Again", but when another year rolls around, I just don't want to pay someone else $10/ft to do it. I shouldn't complain too much, as I get to do it in my sons 80' X 110' building out of the bugs and sun. I complained last year about having to climb the 10' step ladder so many times to do the top 5-6', so he bought a used E-Z Lift. He made it sound like he did it for me, but he also has a 45' coach and 26' enclosed trailer, so I suspect he had other motives. It worked great. I could lift myself to the top and move along a side front to rear. It didn't make the job what I would call fun, but it was a lot easier and safer. Maybe I'll do it again next year.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Yeah, we pay a guy. He does a great job and it is worth it.
GrantR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I do my coach once a year...start about 8 AM work until 11 AM, takes about a week. I do everything, sides of the slides, engine rear and side radiator grills, all items on the roof, windows, all lights, mirrors, and basement door handles. I use about three different protectants based on what the item is...clear coat, plastic, glass, rubber, etc.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Gosh I hope you are using a professional auto detailed / buffer. I had my shop do the wifes car for $110.00. After that I spent the money for the variable speed buffer and the good wax. A total of two cars and pick up truck and they all look great. Like others have said I do sections at a time to break it up on the RV. The pick up is mulit day project too.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:03 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our coach gets an annual wash and wax as we travel through Yuma. Typically under $150 for 40' a DP.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:08 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Polishing now. Will be for few days (ugh)
I will ceramic it when I am done.
I use a spray on ceramic that can be sprayed on and chamoied dry.
I have very sore arms .
30 foot Triple E
aint been shined for a while.
Latech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:50 PM   #7

I used to hand wax my Discovery 40G twice a year. I also washed and waxed the roof. It was as much a good inspection as much as anything else. It’s almost a zen or ASMR type of thing. Not much thought required so your mind is free to go anywhere while you clean.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hmmm. I just use the Wash and Wax in a bottle. I get on my roof 3x a yr and it still looks like New, after 8 yrs. Then I use the same Wash and wax in a bottle on the rest of the coach. Some times I do the whole rig in one day. Some times I do the top, front and passenger side one day and the back and driver side the next day. I lather it down 2x then rinse it. It shines beautifully. Do I buff it? Hell no. Do I have some water dry spots, sure, but you can't see them 10-6 ft away. And very few people get to come that close to my rig. Even at most campgrounds people pass by and still say:"oh man what a nice rig." Just like I complement folks on their rigs if it's well kept. If it's not well kept I say nothing. Have I buffed it before, absolutely, but I don't make it a must-do. I wash my roof 3x a yr and the body 4x. That's enough for me.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #9

So are we talking about actual polishing or just a cleaning and wax/protectant application job?

BTW, does anyone use an RV cover?
RVforTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:00 PM   #10

Several times a year, myself. Brought a random orbital polisher with me but usually just do it by hand. I just break it up into sections or do one side one day, the other the next. Between polishing, I use a spray/wax/detailer. Did the upper half tonight with a waterless/wash wax. Tomorrow, I'll do the lower half. I can do a quick detail in less than an hour. Just about every campground I stay in has someone stop by and ask two questions. One is, what year is it and the second is it a new paint job. Answers are: 1998. Nope, original paint.

I've used dozens of different waxes and polishes and find it really doesn't matter what you use, just as long as you use it. I find it therapeutic, even if I get sore arms and shoulders. I've done this with all my vehicles. It's easier to keep them nice looking than to try to get them back to looking nice after letting them go.

This is after a quick detailing spray. No high dollar polish needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03000.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	337616  
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #11

I do mine also, and yes it's a BIG job, but the coach looks so nice when it's done, it is worth the effort. I have gone to a ceramic wax which is much easier to apply and remove and does seem to hold up much better than conventional wax.

I also have an older Brother that is a retired Firefighter who will still help me get the job done. After 34 years waxing fire equipment, throwing a coat of wax on my RV is nothing, even though he is getting up there now. I don't get near the work out of him as he used to get out of me back in the day. LOL
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #12

Well,
This is one of those things in RVing that really doesn't have a definitive answer. There's folks that are in shape enough, aren't too old, shoulders-back-arms-hands and more that can take the abuse and, and this is a big AND, they simply don't mind doing it. I have waxed our full body paint, 2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP probably around 5-6 times in the 10 years we've owned it. I've done it by hand, and I've done it with a pro-random orbital Porter-cable polisher.

Without a doubt, using the random-orbital for both application and removal of the wax, is incredibly faster than by hand but, there's lots of detail work around edges etc. that the random-orbital can't get so, there's still some hand work to be done.

As for this "ceramic" stuff, well, I have yet to see any difference in shine or color or staying power of it that outlasts or out looks one of my wax jobs. I'm presently using Maguires liquid wax/cleaner and it's so far, about the easiest to apply and remove and, lasts just as long as any wax which, is never more than about 6-8 months, even with its own cave to park in.

It's a lot of work to keep a coach looking nice. One of these days, I will more than likely give up the chore too and either sell the coach or maybe pay someone to do it. Whatever happened to kids wandering neighborhoods looking for work?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:14 PM   #13

Doing it yourself is great exercise, peace of mind and a great way to meet people! The only problem I have is remembering where I left off!

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #14

I've always done mine myself once a year. Complete buff and wax. It used to take me a day sun up to sun down when I was still in the working world. I paid the price in terms of pain for the next day or so. Now that I am retired I take two to three days to do it. Not as sore this way.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome