Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
YES!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #16

I looked at the online Surge Guard manual and it states "must be installed by licensed electrician or RV dealer". Doesn't look too difficult for a do-it-yourself installation. Has anyone installed their own?

Thanks, Ken
Camper Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
I looked at the online Surge Guard manual and it states "must be installed by licensed electrician or RV dealer". Doesn't look too difficult for a do-it-yourself installation. Has anyone installed their own?

Thanks, Ken
I have a hard wireed Progressive EMS (Electricity Management System) that came with my RV. It developed an issue and I took out the components (as directed by Progressive Tech) sent it in and got a new part back. Further issues developed and I had to remove the whole box and send it in to have it repaired. I reinstalled it myself. As long as you pay attention and tighten everything properly I don't know why it would take a licensed electrician. You would need to cut the shore cord and insert the ends into the EMS and put the wires on the correct posts. Not a difficult install. It would be a little more complicated if you wished to install it in between the transfer switch and the rest of the RV so it protects generator and shore power sources.

By the way, Progressive was very helpful, even talked to the CEO (he answered the help line phone) and at no time did they ask for my qualifications to work on the EMS myself.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
This is the best in the business:

EMS-HW50C

This is the hard wired version but they have a portable also.
X3 ! I would not leave home without one!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
We use the progressive ems it has protected us a couple of times that I know. First time was during a thunderstorm the second was from a high frequency while plugged in at our storage barn.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwokhunter View Post
We use the progressive ems it has protected us a couple of times that I know. First time was during a thunderstorm the second was from a high frequency while plugged in at our storage barn.
Yep!
My EMS cut out, came back on. All okay. My neighbor blew $3500 worth of stuff. I had it only 2 weeks before it saved my cookies
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed a 50 amp Surge Guard Plus RV power monitor and it saved me on two occasions. The automatic check when you plug in would not open the electrical circuit because there was an open ground on the pedestal in the campground. We have had ours for three years and it was the first item I installed on the coach. It is a must item to protect the electrical systems in the coach.
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
A true case of how our Surge Guard saved us big bucks Our Surge Guard unit indicated a problem at a site in Asheville. The park sent an employee down and the first words out of his mouth were "its your Surge protector. We've seen a lot of problems with these surge protectors so let's just take it off and plug your motorhome in direct". He had done nothing to verify his theory! I didn't agree with his advice so I opted to use an adjacent 30 amp plug. It worked fine.
The moral of this story is if the Surge Guard says its bad believe it and choose an alternative site. Don't take the word of a wannabe electrician who has nothing in the game. He would have been dead wrong and I would be paying for the repair. Just this one instance paid for my Surge Guard many times over.
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #23

Newbie question - We have a class C. It's 30 amp. I can see eventually upgrading to a class A. I believe they are generally 50 amp. Would it be possible to buy / use the Progressive Industries portable 50 amp model? Would i need some type of converter plug so it could plug together? I figure it would be a little more expensive now but would be cheaper in the long run since it would also work for a class A.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, a 50 amp SP will protect against all surges. Adaptors to fit 30 or 20 amp plugs are available. Check at Amazon, Camping World, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote