Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Of course you can run the furnace at night.
If your home had propane heat you would run the furnace at night.
That is what a furnace is for.
True, but our house isn't a tiny box.
rvingfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #16

I bought this one...
https://www.amazon.com/lasko-5511-os.../dp/b002p7cems
Old 12-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvingfamily View Post
True, but our house isn't a tiny box.
The tiny box has a tiny furnace.
Size does matter.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #18

Have run the propane furnace in ever RV we've owned. That goes back to the mid 80's. Yes I run my propane furnace in my home to.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
Have run the propane furnace in ever RV we've owned. That goes back to the mid 80's. Yes I run my propane furnace in my home to.
Like I said, I've been running it, and then someone mentioned to me that they thought it was unsafe. So that's why I'm asking. BTW, just found the CO/Propane detector on the bed panel.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #20

I usually look at the heat control for a giant red or yellow, government sticker stating " Do not run at Night "

If I don't see one, I run it at night.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Hi all. My husband and I are relatively new to the RV life. We had a 35 foot trailer we purchased in June but decided we ultimately wanted a driveable with our 2 kids (6 and 9 yo) and pup. We traded it in back in September for a 29 ft Thor Ace. We live in coastal SC so we don't deal with a ton of cold weather. We've had mixed recommendations on whether or not it's deemed "safe" to run a propane furnace while sleeping. Obviously with 2 young children, our first priority is safety. We travel for soccer tournaments a lot, and we will be traveling during the cold weather season.

So should we feel comfortable running the propane furnace while sleeping or would you recommend heated blankets, space heater, etc as an alternative? I recently purchased a thermostat controlled cool to the touch space heater. I didn't give the propane furnace much thought until I had several people mention to me they don't run theirs at night. I purchased a CO alarm, but the pamphlet says not to use in the RV. I assume this is due to close proximity to the tank?

So help me out here!
Your RV is absolutely totally safe to use your LPG furnace at night.Its designed with that factor in mind.your unit will have a LP detector from the factory ;most of them are a LPG/CO combination.
so yes you can use your LPG furnace at night just as designed
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
..... BTW, just found the CO/Propane detector on the bed panel.
If you're detector is like mine you can use a butane lighter to check that the detector does indeed shut off the propane. Your manual gives instructions most likely.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
LP gas is heavier than air, so if there is a leak it settles on the floor. You need to have a LP detector down low on the baseboard next to the floor.

There is no reason not to use propane while sleeping or driving. However, the order of preference we use is:
- Fireplace, because if I have electrical hookup it's quietest, builtin, and I've paid for the electricity already in my CG rate.
- 2 Elec cube heaters, added to above when it's colder out and the fireplace can't handle it. Limited by the shorepower current rating. 50A no problem, 30A max of fireplace and one cube. Quiet, and cost rolled into the CG rates.
- Propane, if it's below freezing out, since the rear furnace is the one that heats my wet bay and keeps pipes from freezing. Leave the fireplace or cube heater up front, run the propane furnace in the rear.
- If driving, the propane furnace
- If stopping overnight while on the road, propane furnace.
- I avoid using my heatpumps, because if I have electrical hookup the fireplace/cubes will do the job, are much quieter, and avoids wear/tear on the A/C units.

This assumes that the kids are behaved enough to not touch/mess with cube heaters.....else, I'd stick to the built in propane heaters and use roof heatpumps if your A/C's have that feature.
I agree, but they were talking about CO (carbon monoxide) detectors, which are totally different from LP detectors!

I prefer to mount the CO detectors low on the wall instead of the ceiling, since the furnace vents are in or near the floor. I have a CO detector on the wall next to our bed at about the same level as we are when sleeping. The one up front is about 3' above the floor behind the loveseat/recliners.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
We will run the furnace at night instead of the electric heaters. I have heard there is more protections built in to the furnace than the electrical space heaters. What will happen if during the night if the electric space heater gets knocked over by pet/accidental bump while sleepy human? I don't think it would shut off that could cause a fire. The furnace is built into you RV unit therefore cannot be knocked over and if you use it during the day why not use it during the night?

Anyway do what you want.

Alan
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #25

I truly appreciate all of the responses. We all know that the RV life is a learning process. I'm loving every minute of it. I grew up camping in a Class C with my grandparents so I'm enjoying continuing the tradition with my children!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
All the propane appliances are safe to run while you are in and around your RV. We have a three way fridge in our unit and we always leave the propane on while running down the highway. Our unit is 22 years old and does not have a pilot light so there is really no possibility of a pilot blowing out like was possible but highly unlikely in the old pilot light versions.

BTW most cube heaters have a fail-safe to off feature if they get knocked over accidentally. The two we carry have this feature and seldom cost any more than the ones who don't have the fail-safe.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Only since I started RV'ing in 1957! Although now I have a diesel/electric AquaHot unit, heated floor and three heatpumps, but I still carry a couple cube heaters. The cube heaters are small, efficient and quiet compared to the heatpumps and not much noisier than the AquaHot.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
If your Thor is equipped with propane it should have a propane detector. Adding a CO (if you do not have one) is a good idea as well.

Running propane at night is OK. We used to do it all of the time. The air intake and exhaust are outside so there should be no issues if the furnace is in good shape.

If you doubt the furnace I suggest you get a qualified service man to inspect it. Some propane dealers may inspect it for a minimal service fee. If not a qualified RV tech should be able to do it.

If you are doing short stays in RV parks the power is included so electric heaters are economical to run. They do have minimum clearances so take care where you locate them. Having someone throw off covers over the heater is not a good thing.

Tags
ace, furnace, propane