Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
All the propane appliances are safe to run while you are in and around your RV. We have a three way fridge in our unit and we always leave the propane on while running down the highway. Our unit is 22 years old and does not have a pilot light so there is really no possibility of a pilot blowing out like was possible but highly unlikely in the old pilot light versions.

BTW most cube heaters have a fail-safe to off feature if they get knocked over accidentally. The two we carry have this feature and seldom cost any more than the ones who don't have the fail-safe.
Yes, we ran the propane for the fridge in our 35 ft trailer, but now with the RV we run the generator. Propane is off when driving. We have no need for it when driving, because it's not crazy cold here in SC during day.

The heater I purchased is supposed to turn off when knocked over.
rvingfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #30

A propane furnace at night is perfectly safe.

When you've heard that they are not, perhaps they were talking about a propane catalytic heater which is altogether different than your RV furnace. Many people think the heaters are unsafe but again, they are not - if you vent them as instructed. We used one for 16 full-timing years. Regardless, that's not what you're talking about.

A free-standing electric small heater can also be dangerous, especially if you keep one next to a bed. We had a friend that the blanket fell on the heater overnight and he awoke to the smoldering smoke-smell. It could have been a tragedy.

Bottom line, yes, your propane furnace is safe. Also, all RVs are required to have a propane detector installed during manufacturing. Yours should be placed near the floor somewhere but it's there.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #31

One thing to remember is check the expiration dates on your CO detectors, the sensors have a limited useful life (although they are getting better on the newer one). I am particularly paranoid about CO from furnaces as well as generators. When I was a kid my parents were friends with a couple that died from CO poisoning due to a generator exhaust leak on their boat.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Yes, we ran the propane for the fridge in our 35 ft trailer, but now with the RV we run the generator. Propane is off when driving. We have no need for it when driving, because it's not crazy cold here in SC during day.

your not serious? you run your generator while driving just to run the fridge?
WHY?
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #33

DO you use the water heater on propane?

DO you use the fridge on propane?

Furnace combustion side is separate/isolated from room air side.
Heat from propane goes into/thru a heat exchanger which transfers the heat to the air which then flows inside RV.

Heat exchanger has to fail (ie: crack) in order for combustion products to possibly enter RV.

Can that happen...sure

Can you have a wreck while traveling .....sure
Can you slip/fall on ice....sure
Can you, can you......sure

RV propane appliances are SAFE to use.
RV propane systems/appliances have built in safety devices. More then the fuel system of your RV---but you don't think twice about jumping in it and driving on down the road

Your choice...........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure how or why a combo LP/CO detector could possibly work correctly, since LP is heavier than air, and CO is lighter than air. Most RVs made in the past 10-15 years (at least) have both; a CO detector on/near the ceiling (usually in the bedroom area) and an LP detector at floor level (usually in the kitchen area), plus a smoke detector (also at ceiling level, kitchen or living area). As has already been said, it is perfectly safe to run your built-in LP furnace while sleeping.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Not sure how or why a combo LP/CO detector could possibly work correctly, since LP is heavier than air, and CO is lighter than air. Most RVs made in the past 10-15 years (at least) have both; a CO detector on/near the ceiling (usually in the bedroom area) and an LP detector at floor level (usually in the kitchen area), plus a smoke detector (also at ceiling level, kitchen or living area). As has already been said, it is perfectly safe to run your built-in LP furnace while sleeping.
well they do and that's how my 2008 ABDP is lpg/co all in one at floor level in the hallway
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #36

We dont run our furnace at night because the constant cycling keeps me awake. I get up in the morning a half hour before dw and turn it on. The bonus of this method is the propane savings and its easier on the batteries. The negative of this method is if you have a week bladder you will still want to hold it till morning and any exposed limb outside the covers will get a wee bit chilly
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvingfamily View Post
Hi all. My husband and I are relatively new to the RV life. We had a 35 foot trailer we purchased in June but decided we ultimately wanted a driveable with our 2 kids (6 and 9 yo) and pup. We traded it in back in September for a 29 ft Thor Ace. We live in coastal SC so we don't deal with a ton of cold weather. We've had mixed recommendations on whether or not it's deemed "safe" to run a propane furnace while sleeping. Obviously with 2 young children, our first priority is safety. We travel for soccer tournaments a lot, and we will be traveling during the cold weather season.

So should we feel comfortable running the propane furnace while sleeping or would you recommend heated blankets, space heater, etc as an alternative? I recently purchased a thermostat controlled cool to the touch space heater. I didn't give the propane furnace much thought until I had several people mention to me they don't run theirs at night. I purchased a CO alarm, but the pamphlet says not to use in the RV. I assume this is due to close proximity to the tank?

So help me out here!
CO alarm, LP Detector, Carbin Dioxide Detector, etc.

Purchase and install a quality unit SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR RVs!!!!!

Do NOT go cheap on this. They also sell dual sensing units. These can potentially be lifesavers!!

With that said, we have been camping in colder weather in our coach for the last 17 years using the LP internal heater confidently.

Happy trails.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
stated simply....YES
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I'm assuming the Ace motorhome is newer. Even my 2005 travel trailer had a CO and LP detectors. Our 2013 tt we use a small electric heater when the outside temps are above 40. If the nights are going to be in the 30's, I'll set the propane furnace on maybe 60, to help the electric heater catch up.

All I know is I have a smoke, CO and LP detectors in our RV, which I feel fairly safe with.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #40

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just keep asking the questions, none of us know it all, except for the couple that do. Sometimes the threads become a presentation of totally different opinions, but a lots of information gets exchanged in the process and we all learn a little more.

Many happy and safe travels, esp with those kids!
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I usually look at the heat control for a giant red or yellow, government sticker stating " Do not run at Night "

If I don't see one, I run it at night.
You see...twinboat is a perfect example why gov't intervention is so necessary to protect us from things that we have no understanding about. If that sticker wasn't regulated to be there twinboat would probably die. So think about that the next time you're tempted to rip off that 4" yellow warning label off an extension cord or an appliance.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
You see...twinboat is a perfect example why gov't intervention is so necessary to protect us from things that we have no understanding about. If that sticker wasn't regulated to be there twinboat would probably die. So think about that the next time you're tempted to rip off that 4" yellow warning label off an extension cord or an appliance.
I have to cut the tags off the extension and appliance cords. They get in the way of the stacked up outlet adaptors.
Attached Images

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace, propane