Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
that's a new one to me. where does the smell emit from? the lines are sealed; the tank is sealed ; where and how could it emit a smell??
the only way u may get a wiff of LPG is the thing fails to fire and a small amount of lpg flows before the valve shuts off
Odor: In order to detect if presence and prevent an explosion from a buildup of*propane*gas, odorant (almost always ethyl mercaptan) is added to liquid*LP-Gas. Ethyl mercaptan has a distinctive order and has a high*odor*impact.

Empty*Propane Tanks. It's also good to be aware that you may*smell*a strong odor of*propane*gas when yourtank*is empty. This is because the odor can sometimes settle and collect in the bottom of the*tank. When thepropane*supply runs*low, you are left simply with the concentrated odor.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
There is a world of what-ifs and could-happens. I doubt there are any significant number of deaths caused by CO from a properly tuned and exhausted gen set and exhaust system. Show us the stats that this is any real problem. Many RVs run their generators in camp and the news is not full of stories about people dying from it, at least not that I've ever seen.
The generator on my RV is practically under my bedroom... I've done a winter exercising of the generator with out the Gen-turi system hooked up and the CO alarm went off...

You're more than welcome to roll the dice, but I'll error on the side of caution (especially when it comes to my children).. They don't call it the silent killer for nothing..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #87

I appreciate you bringing up any and all risks no matter how small. I have honestly just never had anyone mention a risk to running the generator at night. It makes sense. I will look into that. Thank you.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #88

The remote possibility of CO poisonings is why I have a CO detector in my home as well and my motorhome. I also have a Fire alarm and a LP gas detector in both places for the same reason. Once I have taken these reasonably cheep precautions and maintain them as suggested by the manufacturer, I stopped worrying about the what if's. None of detectors have ever gone off in over 50 years in either place except when my wife or I burned something in the stove. It is with this experiences I say the possibilities of danger are remote. I will also noted that my earlier motorhome had the generator in compartment under the bed while my newer diesel pusher has the generator in the front while the bed is in the rear.

Is it possible that CO could seep into the sleeping area, yes, is it possible for the LP gas to leak in to the sleeping area, yes, is it possible for the furnace to set fire to the whole matter, well yes to that as well. Do squirrels drop hickory nuts from the top of the hickory tree in my yard, yes. Do these nuts fall with enough power to hurt me if they hit just right, probably yes, but I can not live my life worrying about any of these things.

I take reasonable precautions, then live my life worry free and deal with the results when they happen. It has worked for over 70 years so far and counting. In fact I will be traveling from Nova Scotia to Key West next year with my refrigerator, generator, furnace, water heater, and all other appliances operating at all times just as they would if I were in my stationary home. After all my motorhome is just my second home that happens to be on wheels.

I hope to meet many of you on my travels and exchange stories. I am sure many of you have more interesting stories that I and I would like to learn from each of you.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhotoWizard View Post
The remote possibility of CO poisonings is why I have a CO detector in my home as well and my motorhome. I also have a Fire alarm and a LP gas detector in both places for the same reason. Once I have taken these reasonably cheep precautions and maintain them as suggested by the manufacturer, I stopped worrying about the what if's. None of detectors have ever gone off in over 50 years in either place except when my wife or I burned something in the stove. It is with this experiences I say the possibilities of danger are remote. I will also noted that my earlier motorhome had the generator in compartment under the bed while my newer diesel pusher has the generator in the front while the bed is in the rear.

Is it possible that CO could seep into the sleeping area, yes, is it possible for the LP gas to leak in to the sleeping area, yes, is it possible for the furnace to set fire to the whole matter, well yes to that as well. Do squirrels drop hickory nuts from the top of the hickory tree in my yard, yes. Do these nuts fall with enough power to hurt me if they hit just right, probably yes, but I can not live my life worrying about any of these things.

I take reasonable precautions, then live my life worry free and deal with the results when they happen. It has worked for over 70 years so far and counting. In fact I will be traveling from Nova Scotia to Key West next year with my refrigerator, generator, furnace, water heater, and all other appliances operating at all times just as they would if I were in my stationary home. After all my motorhome is just my second home that happens to be on wheels.

I hope to meet many of you on my travels and exchange stories. I am sure many of you have more interesting stories that I and I would like to learn from each of you.
Very well said. I totally agree. And one has to look at reasonable precaution. Not extensive, beyond the realm of possibility type precautions.
You cannot spend your life curled up in a secure plastic bubble.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
running the generator while "boondocking" (camping with no hook-ups) has the potential to be very dangerous...

The fumes from the generator (co2) can "seep" into the RV.. depending on the wind, the fumes from the generator exhaust can be blown under the RV and then the co2 can enter from the bottom of the RV.. Having a Gen-turi guarantee's the fumes are moved up and over the RV.

Gen-turi™ Generator Exhaust System - Camco
If this is such a dangerous activity, why are manufactures still doing it.

Wouldn't our government regulators see this danger and mandate a rooftop ehxaust ?

Wouldn't the industry, itself, see this danger and self regulate ?

You can't pull the string on a portable generator without seeing the warning messages about the dangerous fumes, if run inside a structure.

I understand needing something in real close quarters, like a race track infield but otherwise the exhaust is blown out, away from the MH and quickly dispersed into the surrounding air.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
A buddy has built a genturie out of easily locatable DIY store parts. I haven't seen it yet but he tells me it is damn effective and really does the job. SO if that is what skeers yuh then maybe look into one of these apparatuses.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
BS mines 9 and still functions correctly.

Do you have life insurance?

Because the chances of dying are really pretty remote, until you do die that is..........
Old 12-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #93

I always leave the overheat vents open a little
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:56 PM   #94

Propane heaters suckered up propane like a milk shake in summer. Some of the electric heaters are small and have a remote control.
two22penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #95

Yes we use heat pumps as our first choice. We actually only use the one in the front and send the heat through ducts. But if the temperature drops below 34 degrees, it will automatically switch from Heat pump to furnace. No problem using the furnace while in a campground or while driving down he road.
But your coach should have all the safety alarms. It surprises me if it did not come with them.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #96

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I didn't even realize there was a separate approval for RV use. I bought a battery powered combination smoke/CO alarm at Lowes and installed it on the ceiling in the bedroom to replace a CO only unit. Any reason that won't work?
jt
The only difference between the RV units and the Home units when it comes to CO detectors, and Smoke detectors is the name on the case and the price.. When my Atwood "RV" co detector went south I got a Kidie (Sp) from Lowes or Home depot or Wal*mart (forget which) and found one major difference that I had to adress.. Mine is a battery operated.

The battery cover (Removable) on the Atwood had a sticker applied with the different alarm statuses explained... (CO detected, Low Bat, internal error) The Kidie did not.. However the battery covers are otherwise identical so I just swapped 'em.

The mounting bracket is also identical...

And half the pages in the atwood owner's manual.. Said Kidie not atwood on 'em.. (Print shop error).

The units are identical in every way save the name on the label and that sticker I mentioned.

SMOKE and CO detectors both mount on,or near (within 4 inches) of the ceiling.

PROPANE (Explosive gas) detectors near the floor
NATURAL GAS (Explosive gas) detectors are identical to propane detectors save they mount high as well So those are different, but only in how they mount.

RV type Propane detectors usually run on house 12 volt however and THAT is different from the ones you find at Lowes et-al.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My propane detector (floor level below the stove + across from fridge) still works after 22 years. I have a small propane heater that I use to warm Gracie up when I get in her to work and didn't hook the whatzit to the bottle properly and after about two minutes, maybe less, the alarm went off. Quite loud and I know able to wake this person from a dead sound sleep. Being its hard wired to the house batteries it also sounds a slightly different alarm if the house batteries get low. The propane is a loud continuous alarm and the low battery is a nagging repetitive beep, kinda like it just became OCD. Just because of this thread I replaced the CO detector with a unit I bought at a local DIY store.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace, propane