Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #1

Do you use a shield or rock guard for your Toad?

I am in the process of assembling the necessary hook ups, tow bars etc. so I can tow my 2008 Malibu 4 down and am wondering if I need to buy a rock guard or shield of some sort to protect the windshield and front of the car from rock chips . So I am asking how many folks who tow vehicles use nothing or what do you use if you use something?

Thanks in advance.
John
John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #2

Hula skirt
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #3

We have a Kar Kard II for our Durango. Recently completed a 7400 mile trip and it worked very well.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #4

We use protect-a-tow, relatively cheap and works well.
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've towed three different trucks over the years. FOR ME, I find it easiest to put a bra on the car. "Le Bra" makes a bra for any car, are reasonably priced (about $80-$100). I install the bra before each trip. It's fairly easy to maintain and unobtrusive.

When I get home or on a long trip, I wipe the bra down with some Pledge to keep it clean.

There is a company that makes a full front end bra that covers the front end and windshield. My BIL had one and it was a pain. If you're driving a rear radiator DP, the thing will be filthy by the time you arrive at your destination. Consequently, when you stop you have to remove it to drive the car and you can get nasty dirty. Even to move the vehicle around the campsite, you have to remove the upper half.

I wouldn't trust just a mud flap for protection, yet some say they use nothing and have no issues.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Roadmaster Guardian rock shield that I bought with our coach from the previous owner. I also have the hitch-mount storage bracket for the unit. The Guardian works very well. I've had no damage to the car, but it is a little cumbersome in the on and off department, although storage is easy with the bracket.

Shortly after we hit the road I discovered the Protect-a-tow, which is a tough, PVC coated fabric screen that stretches horizontally down low from the coach rear bumper to the toad front bumper. I like the design because anything thrown up from the road will impact the screen at a very oblique angle, making it very likely- almost certain- to be reflected back down to the road surface. An additional plus is that the screen also protects my tow bar and umbilical cable.

I bought a Protect-a-tow to check it out, and have actually been using them both together. Obviously that's overkill, and I've been thinking of selling the rock guard.

On the other hand, most of the MH-toad combos I've seen on the road have no protective device at all. Makes no sense to me, but you'd think if they were all getting pummeled by rocks they'd have something.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #7

I have a FRED with about 12 ft from my regular mudflaps to the rear bumper.
20,000 miles. No chips. Dust, yes.

Thought of a bra but then saw the rubbed paint from trapped dust when neighbor removed it.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have a rock guard on my rig. Towed my jeep 20k miles in the past year. Absolutely no damage at all to the Jeep. I pretty sure I bought it at CW. it also bends when you lower the rig for leveling. That's my experience.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #9

Protect-a-Tow does well for us. Very pleased with the product.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
We have towed over 130,000 miles with only the mud flaps that came on the MHs. Three MHs towed 2 Jeeps ans 2 pickups ..... no chips..... loys of dirt, dust & mud!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Protect-a-tow, also keeps rear of motorhome clean. It has worked well for us since Nov 2011, not a ding one on my Honda and I don't have to clean the front of the Toad after towing it. I used a windshield cover on my old Toad and when I hit rain it allowed the water to enter the Toad. Good thing I carried a shop vac.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #12

Towed several vehicles with several RV's. All RV's had good mudflaps. My A's had the big Monaco flaps. Never put any guard on the toads and never had any rock chips etc. Good mud flaps do the job for me. Now have a B+ and the same applies. No marks on the toad.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #13

We also are first timer with motorhome (04 Allegro 31') and toads (06 sature vue). We found on the internet a "tow shield" which covers from the front of car to the top of the windshield. Easy to install, my wife does it while I'm hookup toad. So far so good. Happy Camping!!!
jastinjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #14

Protet-a- tow works great
rebel
rebelcarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad