Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2021, 09:36 PM   #1

Dodged a bullet

A few days ago we stopped at a mid-point to visit with my daughter.

That stop led me to redue the tow procedure on my CRV; where I found it wouldn't start. Opening the hood to jump start it I found the battery all acid'd over, a condition I observed two months prior and thought I'd cleaned/resolved. With a jumper cable it started but I knew that evening I'd try and find a replacement battery ($108). Got lucky here too, Turkey eve and I found an open Walmart, 6PM arrival time.

But the scary part is when I went to the hitch where I found one of the locking cross-pins missing and the actual locking cross bar almost out of the two pieces. Fortunately I had more from a different lock-pin and was able to fix it as well.

The good new was all this happened in a truck stop that had cheap(er) diesel ... $3.49. I plan on revisiting them Wed (on my return trip).
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2021, 10:53 PM   #2

Now the real question is:
Why had battery boiled over?
Overcharging, bad cell etc

And WHO pulled the pin?
Any stops between leaving and that truck stop?
Pin Sheared?....WHY/How?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
But the scary part is when I went to the hitch where I found one of the locking cross-pins missing
When you say "locking pins" do you mean something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	locking-pins.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	350055  
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:19 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tommy View Post
When you say "locking pins" do you mean something like this?
The locks used to lock down a trailer hitch bail will fit into your "crosspins"
Old 11-29-2021, 07:45 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
On a recent trip I forgot to store the cross pins from my tow bar in a safe “locked” place after disconnecting my Jeep. When we went to leave a few days later, one of the pins was mysteriously not where I left it. I didn’t have a spare so our departure was delayed a couple of hours while I drove around town searching for a replacement pin. While I was gone my Wife was walking the dogs and happened to find the pin a few hundred feet from where our coach was parked! We didn’t find the keeper pin, but I had a spare one of those. I guess someone decided the really didn’t need it after all. ��
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:03 AM   #6

Had this happen to me as well about two months ago. The wire was missing from this type of pin on the crossbar on my Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain tow bar when I went to disconnect the toad, so nothing was keeping the pin from falling out. Fortunately, it didn't. This wasn't sabotage, as I had checked everything that morning when I connected the toad. We then drove 170 miles to our destination without stopping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chrome_screenshot_1638194055690.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	350070  
Old 11-29-2021, 08:27 AM   #7

I had a similar issue with the lock pins that come with the tow bar so I purchased keyed locks for all connections.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #8

On a trip last month. We stopped and parked in a grocery store parking lot and did some final shopping. Did a walk around like always. All seemed good. 150 miles later we're set up. I go to remove the hitch from the truck. (Anderson.) Safely pin not there, gone. No way it could have fallen out, no way. Now, I look for the pins each and every time I have eyes off the rig. Got lucky on that one. Carry extras anyways. If that ever happens again, I'll be flying the finger in the parking lot as I install a replacement pin.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:21 PM   #9

As for the cause of my battery going all acid - I don't know. I will keep my eye on it and if it happens again (with a new battery) then I'll look into whether its the bus charge line or the car. I'm hoping it was just the battery gone bad.

As for the missing pin, again I don't know how it happened, but it did (while on the road - no stops). I replaced it with one of my other (locking type) pins. As I don't like carrying extra keys I will return to that system - once I gain another pin (or even a bent nail).

Pic shows the type I lost.

These two failures have shown me I need to check everything each time I stop - or don't stop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	locking pin.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	350086  
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
As for the cause of my battery going all acid - I don't know. I will keep my eye on it and if it happens again (with a new battery) then I'll look into whether its the bus charge line or the car. I'm hoping it was just the battery gone bad.

As for the missing pin, again I don't know how it happened, but it did (while on the road - no stops). I replaced it with one of my other (locking type) pins. As I don't like carrying extra keys I will return to that system - once I gain another pin (or even a bent nail).

Pic shows the type I lost.

These two failures have shown me I need to check everything each time I stop - or don't stop.
A mystery. I definitely do a quick walk around every time I stop and before getting on the road again .... these pins you show that attach the tow bar to the baseplate are something that I always check to make sure they are in place. I have never had one come loose - not sure what might have happened in your case??

That said, from the first time I started towing flat, I have carried a couple extra of these pins, as well as an extra of the bold that secures the tow bar into the towbar on the RV. My first thought was ... "Hmmm ..... if I lost one of these I would be stopped, best to have extras.....". I had heard stories of people taking these in rest areas and campgrounds. Again, not sure what happened in your case....
Old 11-29-2021, 08:30 PM   #11

First off I think most of the so-called "vandalism" is really the result of the pin falling out on it's own for some reason. One solution I have come up with is purchasing 3/4 inch Master locks that are keyed alike. If you search the Internet for Master padlock keyed alike you should be able to find something. I would go for the solid brass ones for corrosion resistance. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:49 PM   #12

I also have a road master tow bar with that type of locking pin. There is a cable on the larger pin and to the locking pin , so they stay attached to one another. After I put them in place , I use a 11" plastic tie to keep them from dropping out , or coming apart by passing it through the ring on the locking pin and ring on bigger pin. That safety cable that is on there has broken before.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
I purchased keyed locks for all connections.
Yep that's what I did also from the very beginning. I keep a small tool bag in our toad with all our tow parts, connections, locking pins that use a keyed lock, the keys themselves, gloves etc. When we get ready to hook up, everything is right there. But even with that system, I always check everything again after stopping for any reason. After 5yrs. of FTing and 10's of 1000's of miles have not had any mishaps.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #14

For the battery issue, I installed a switch to disconnect the battery from the coach power. Had to jump start the toad a couple times before installing the switch. The "manual" for our Roadmaster tow bar and electrical hook-up said the toad did not need a battery disconnect. Whatever. Zero battery issues after putting in the disconnect.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge