Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Does AAA Have Roadside Assistance for RVs?

We're looking to purchase roadside assistance for a motor home and since we have AAA it seems like a no brainer to use them and not have to deal with different companies. My card says Premier RV, but I don't remember anything about RV coverage and my membership package is at home. Does basic AAA cover RVs or can you purchase RV coverage?
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, it does! But, sadly they think they can tow a MH just like a car. I wouldn't have AAA roadside service for my MH. Don't ask how I know!
Happy Camping!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #3

AAA has nationwide "zones". Each zone may differ in policies. Where you are may provide RV road service, another may not where you will be next week.
Call and ask them to verify that is still true.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
It is called RV Plus and is ok but if you are considering to go to northern B.C. or Alaska go with Good Sam.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
With a MH AAA Plus is about worthless, read the fine print about what thy will or WILL NOT cover, i.e. changing tires - NO.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

We had AAA RV coverage but after they left us stranded on I-15 for 5 hours while they determined what "zone" we were in, we changed to Good Sam. We still belong to AAA for maps and tour books.
CoachNet also seems to have plenty of supporters but I haven't any experience with them.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #7

I found this interesting. This web site reports to be unbiased when comparing companies. Looks like you can change the companies to compare.
https://www.thezebra.com/state-farm-vs-aaa/
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
We're looking to purchase roadside assistance for a motor home and since we have AAA it seems like a no brainer to use them and not have to deal with different companies. My card says Premier RV, but I don't remember anything about RV coverage and my membership package is at home. Does basic AAA cover RVs or can you purchase RV coverage?

Don't go to a steakhouse and order fish. It may be ok but it's not what they do. An extensive search of the forums will show that Coach Net is the gold standard and Good Sam is next.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #9

Long time AAA'er here but canceled it after talking to them on the phone. They will not get us back on the road after a flat unless we have a spare.

Good Sam will supply a replacement tire if needed while on the road.

We also have Hartford insurance on the MH but their roadside will not fix a flat either.....best to call before you choose.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #10

A couple of things to consider...

1) If buying a new (ish) gasser, Ford offers free roadside service for 3 years I think. Have no experience with it, but am real curious about how well it works.

2) Progressive insurance (others too) has RV insurance with optional roadside coverage for very little money. Used it once and they handled well.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roadside coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
A couple of things to consider...

1) If buying a new (ish) gasser, Ford offers free roadside service for 3 years I think. Have no experience with it, but am real curious about how well it works.

2) Progressive insurance (others too) has RV insurance with optional roadside coverage for very little money. Used it once and they handled well.
As stated your insurance company is a good place to look for roadside coverage. I have Hartford and they have unlimited towing amongst other features.
National 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I have Good Sam and AAA...have AAA for my cars and adding on for RV was not all that much.
In our area AAA will cover a tow up to 200 miles, to whereever you want to go. Good Sam will tow to the nearest facility that will fix your vehicle.
In a recent water pump failure Good Sam wanted to take me to a Freightliner facility 105 miles away (in the wrong direction) vs. 140 miles to the one that is 25 miles from my home and is my "home" freightliner service facility. That is their policy and I am not complaining about it. With AAA They towed me to the facility near my home. I was able to leave the DP there and drive home to the bricks and sticks and not have to drive 5 hours home and back when the repairs were done (took several days to get it all done. That time AAA was better. If I was in Montana (I have no knowledge of Montana, just making up an example) and the nearest place was 300 miles away Good Same would have been the better choice. Also...both GS and AAA used the same tow company...
Old 01-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the replies. I logged into my AAA account and don't see anything about RV coverage. I'll look at coachnet and good sam.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Thanks for the replies. I logged into my AAA account and don't see anything about RV coverage. I'll look at coachnet and good sam.
Just go right to Coachnet, When needed, Goodsam has to call another company to do the work and get answers..........Goodsam is just a "Middle Man" between you and the needed help. Coachnet "Is the company" that is going to help you when needed, no middle man.............
Read this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/openi...ce-272286.html , pay attention to post#28
This is what made me go to Coachnet, along they are the only one that will cover our enclosed trailer, Goodsam does not cover them anymore.......
This is who GS calls "Transit Pros" http://www.transitpros.com/

Tags
rvs