Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2017, 12:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Does anyone have a deionized water system they would recommend

Just like the title states, do you have a system that you have experience with that you would recommend? All of the mobile guys are no longer wiping down the RV's after they wash them because they have DI water systems and they look spotless! I've seen them in luxury parks with seven Prevost busses lined up after being washed with these systems and they look fabulous, not a spot in sight!

Would love to hear what you are using.
relaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 12:42 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I use and recommend CR Spotless from San Diego. It works well, no spots. It is a little less expensive than others and well built.

You can see my on board system in my thread "On board pressure washer/deionizer mod".

Here's the link,
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328026

It lands you at the last post when I tested the link, you'll have to zip back to page #1/post #1. [emoji4]
Regards,
W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a thread in I think the Entegra owners forum, which recently gave the parts to order to build one yourself.

Found the thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/if-y...it-339615.html
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
I use and recommend CR Spotless from San Diego. It works well, no spots. It is a little less expensive than others and well built.

You can see my on board system in my thread "On board pressure washer/deionizer mod".

Here's the link,
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328026

It lands you at the last post when I tested the link, you'll have to zip back to page #1/post #1. [emoji4]
Regards,
W.D.
I have the CR spotless also. Works great. Costco was having a sale on them a few years ago and that's what enticed me to get one.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #5

I have the CR Spotless DIC20 which is the perfect size for doing a MH. It works great and better than advertised. Using the DI water not only leaves it spotless, but also a lot cleaner and does not take off the wax. It cuts down the washing time of the MH to about an hour total, leaving the paint spotless and brilliant. We also use it on our cars and house windows ect. After using one you'll never wash with regular water again. The DIC 20 was just on sale for $349 and worth every penny.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I use the one from Griot's Garage. The main thing I like about it is the built in bypass valves. Just turn the valves and the water bypasses the DI tank. I had a severe water spotting problem before and now I practically zero water spots without any wiping down or drying.
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...fType=&from=fn
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I bought the CR Spotless unit from Costco. I don't know how often it comes on sale.

IMPORTANT- When using the CR Spotless unit, it says to not exceed 15 psi. Which means, don't just attach a hose and rinse your coach. You need a regulator so that the output from the tank is 15psi. I had an old regulator with a psi dial and added it to the unit. At 15 psi, it doesn't spray hard or far. I use one of those garden spray heads with the 24" extension for rinsing. It gives me the additional height to reach the top edge of the coach when rinsing it off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I purchased the same fitting my pressure washer wand uses and this is my output from the DI filter. This allows me to spray a nice low pressure mist conserves water and allows the water to flow slowly over the resin. I have interchangeable tips so I use a wide fan.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I bought the CR Spotless unit from Costco. I don't know how often it comes on sale.

IMPORTANT- When using the CR Spotless unit, it says to not exceed 15 psi. Which means, don't just attach a hose and rinse your coach. You need a regulator so that the output from the tank is 15psi. I had an old regulator with a psi dial and added it to the unit. At 15 psi, it doesn't spray hard or far. I use one of those garden spray heads with the 24" extension for rinsing. It gives me the additional height to reach the top edge of the coach when rinsing it off.
Hey Don,
I've scanned all over the CR Spotless site and I cannot find it anywhere where it states "not to use over 15 psi". The site does reference that their units (the blue cartridges) are tested to 90 psi and, the average home regulator, regulates the average home water pressure to 65 psi. And their units are fine to operate at that psi. Can you show me where I'm missing the 15 psi thing? I'd appreciate it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's been about 5 years since I bought my CR, but I remember they give you a flow restriction disk with the unit.
Marty
Old 05-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #11

Scott, on the instructions that come with the unit it tells you to not turn your faucet on full force. I think that is where it says something in relation to the PSI. But they give you a nozzle and the settings they tell you to use are less than the 15 psi ratings. I think it is more that the less PSI you use the longer the resin will last as you won't be wasting water. I don't think it is anything that will damage the actual unit.

I am on my original resin, which I have had since October 2016, and it is still producing spot free water. I only turn on the faucet about one turn, and that gives me plenty of pressure to wash the MH. I have washed the MH 3 times, washed my cars several times, and all the house windows. I also use the DI water to wash and rinse when doing the MH just to get the best wash out of it.

I went to the CR Spotless shop in El Cajon and spoke directly with them prior to buying. I think the guy's name was Chuck, but he gave me the recommendations on how to use it. When I asked him about the water pressure all he said was you will get whatever the pressure at your house is, but they recommend to restrict it just to save water and the resin will last longer. So far it has worked better than advertised and the resin has lasted longer than I thought it would.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Scott, on the instructions that come with the unit it tells you to not turn your faucet on full force. I think that is where it says something in relation to the PSI. But they give you a nozzle and the settings they tell you to use are less than the 15 psi ratings. I think it is more that the less PSI you use the longer the resin will last as you won't be wasting water. I don't think it is anything that will damage the actual unit.

I am on my original resin, which I have had since October 2016, and it is still producing spot free water. I only turn on the faucet about one turn, and that gives me plenty of pressure to wash the MH. I have washed the MH 3 times, washed my cars several times, and all the house windows. I also use the DI water to wash and rinse when doing the MH just to get the best wash out of it.

I went to the CR Spotless shop in El Cajon and spoke directly with them prior to buying. I think the guy's name was Chuck, but he gave me the recommendations on how to use it. When I asked him about the water pressure all he said was you will get whatever the pressure at your house is, but they recommend to restrict it just to save water and the resin will last longer. So far it has worked better than advertised and the resin has lasted longer than I thought it would.
Hey Mike and Cha,
I certainly appreciate your answering me on this. Flow (otherwise known as VOLUME) and PSI are two different animals. After 40 years + on four different fire departments, I kind-a got that stuff down, (takes a while for us slow folk). You can have 90 psi intake pressure on that unit but, if you're only flowing ONE to TWO gallons a minute out of their supplied nozzle (gun type) then that's all they care about in terms of preserving the run time of the resin. Just because you have high intake pressure, doesn't mean you have HIGH FLOW.

It all depends on the restriction size of the nozzle. Hence, PRESSURE WASHERS could have a fairly high flow rate but, due to the size of the orifice in the tip of the nozzle, there's minimal flow. The pump is going nuts but, you're barely putting any water out. Yep, it's a high pressure for sure but, it's a low flow in GPM terms. It pretty much doesn't matter what the intake pressure is, as long as the flow from the nozzle is flowing the low requirements of the system preservation. Their system cartridges are tested to 90 psi and they say that the pressure regulators on most homes regulate to around 60-65 psi. And they say (in their website) that as long as you DON'T go beyond that 65 psi intake pressure, your unit will provide good service.

Another example would be, on the FD, I'd be pumping at 300 psi into what's called a Hard line or Red line, (it's like an severely heavy duty garden hose, with a 3/4" inside diameter) and a wall thickness of about 1/4" and, at the end, on the nozzle, we'd be flowing only 30 gallons a minute. But, the effective fire stream was perfect for the given situation. Again, the pump is going nuts but, the flow was low. Hope this helps.
Scott

P.S. You're extremely lucky to get that kind of time out of your original resin. You must be dealing with ultra low PPM of TDS (total dissolved solids). Meaning, your water must be very close to soft water. Ours however, is like sledge hammers coming out of the main lines to our residences. In other words, we have some ultra HARD WATER. Hence, this is why I only got a month and a half of service from our first set of resins. I recently got new cartridges and shipped mine back to the company. I think I got (2) motor home washings, (6) Jeep washings and (2) truck washings before I started seeing spots and the numbers on the little LCD, were sky rocketing. It is what it is, we got hard water so, I'll be going through the resins a bit more that some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am not in the business to do advertising for anyone, but here is a Youtube review for a new solution. https://youtu.be/8Dzh93vM45I
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We purchased and use the CR-Spotless dual cartridge filter system and are pleased with its performance. That said, we still periodically wipe our coach down with a mixture of distilled vinegar and water (1:3 parts) to remove water spots that come from other sources than our washing our coach.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water