Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

Does anyone know how to jump these relays?

Hi All,

This is for a 1993 FleetWood Pace Arrow 37J W/ Ford 460 7.5L

When I first acquired my motorhome it had absolutely no power. When I turned the key on with new batteries or on a charger, nothing would happen. Someone proposed I should try and jump the relays to see if I could get power. Well, it worked, in a way. It supplied power, I can't figure out which leads are supposed to have a hot connection and ground.

On modern day relays, the little body schematic is really helpful to know when you've closed the circuit, but on these old things, I have no clue what I am doing.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this, or know of anyway to test the relays?

When I "jump" them, I place a wire on a positive and negative terminal of a battery and directly onto the to center leads on these relays, I hear a click, but how do I know they aren't reversed?

Is there an empirical method on determining which ones are faulty and which are sound?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1431.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	116995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1433.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	116996  

Name:	IMG_1437.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	380.7 KB
ID:	116997  
coolkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You could take a battery and apply voltage to one coil at a time. Then check with a meter for a short.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #3
YC1

I assume you have removed the little wires before applying your own power?

If not, you could get a hand full of hot wires.

Assuming you did, the polarity does not matter. These are very simple electromagnets. A coil of wire wrapped around some metal. When current passes through, the magnet activates. The magnet pulls a metal bar down and shorts the large connectors together.

Once the relay is activated the large posts should be a dead short. That is, any voltage on one side should be exactly the same on the other side. Think of it as putting a screwdriver directly across the large terminals or just bolting them together.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #4

are you aware of the "salesman switch" over the door that kills all power?
also there is house batteries and chassis (engine) battery?
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:55 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Here is what I've come up with so far. See attached diagrams.

K1 ties your batteries together. Probably with the Aux start switch.

F1,2 should be a short at all times unless tripped. They look like they auto reset but there may be a reset switch on the side.

You can bypass K1,3 if you want to start the genset.

You can bypass K2,4 if you want to start the Engine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	panel pic.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	117033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay panel.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	117034  

Old 01-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
are you aware of the "salesman switch" over the door that kills all power?
also there is house batteries and chassis (engine) battery?
I would be very cautious about jumping any of those Solenoids !
Call Fleetwood and ask them for advice , I'm sure there is a remote Panel disconnect Switch somewhere in your Coach that is turned off.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
I would be very cautious about jumping any of those Solenoids !.....
I agree! Don't short the positive to ground. Otherwise you should be ok. It's a very simple circuit that includes four switches. In most coach's the positive of the chassis and the house batteries are connected at times. This is ok.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you say " no power" what are you trying to say. Do you have power to energize the relays? No 12V anyplace? What happens when connected to shore? More info would be helpful..
Old 01-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On those solenoids you have 4 connections, Two are BIG and I mean BIG and two are Small

To jump wither move one big wire to the other big terminal and connect or jumper the two BIG terminals together.. Leave the little wires alone.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #10

Which is gonna be worse - the $100 service call or the many hundred dollar repair from jumping the wrong terminals - just for a second?

You have gotten some good answers, but it is too easy to blow things if you don't know what you are doing.

IMHO

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
We'll said Tim !

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
Which is gonna be worse - the $100 service call or the many hundred dollar repair from jumping the wrong terminals - just for a second?

You have gotten some good answers, but it is too easy to blow things if you don't know what you are doing.

IMHO

Tim
I think I have blown things already, lol. Grr. I am so inept in this department.
coolkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
coolkx
The lower black/gray solenoid is for the chassis, says on the label COACH CHASSIS, it is has to be closed to power the chassis and start the enigine. You can tell by the large cables on each side. The upper black/gray is for the house 12V power. It needs to be closed to supply power to every thing in the house that requires 12V+ to operate. Both those solenoids are latching solenoids they stay closed or open without having power supplied to the small terminals all the time. To energize the house or chassis the rocker switch for either one is pushed and 12V+ is supplied to one of the small terminals and the other small terminal is grounded to close the contacts. To kill the power the switch is pushed again but in the opposite direction 12V+ is supplied to the opposite terminal then before and the other terminal is grounded. You should hear the clunk each time the switch is pushed. The only time 12V+ is supplied the either terminal is when the switch is pushed. The other two shiny metal solenoids are non latching and have to have 12V+ supplied to one of the small terminals to keep the contact closed. The other small terminal is always grounded, they do not switch polarity as the latching solenoids do. While they look like the old Ford starter solenoids they are not. They must be CONTINUOUS DUTY a starter relay is not continuous duty and will burn out if used for a continuous duty application.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #14
YC1

http://www.metrotrekkers.org/utility/electrical.htm

This site is a fun way to learn about these systems. Don't worry that it may not match your setup exactly. It will give you a good visualization of how things can work.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
relays