Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #1
UAV

Does Depreciation Ever Stop?

I know this has been talked about a lot and has been a topic in the past, but I was wondering when depreciation stops, if ever?

We hear about it all the time but is there a formula (I think I saw one on this fantastic forum once before!) that one can use to sort of know values?

Also, my guess is that if you keep a coach in excellent condition with some nice updates/upgrades, etc. that the value can only go down so far? Or am I wrong?

Thanks all!
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
At 20 years old, anything is a "Classic" and at 25 years old....."Antique"
I am going to say at these years.....just about bottomed out........As far as condition, yes, I am a person that will pay extra for the condition of a item if it is/was taken really good care of. Once something is in the 20 - 25 year old range in the RV world, most are hard to sell......not like a classic muscle car that gains value......
My Coach is still on NADA and at 15 years old this year, it is still going down.......
Old 12-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are useful thoughts and ideas here... http://www.myrv.us/pgs/rv/depreciation.htm
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

I'd say in general, the answer is that is accelerates down quickly as you drive it off the lot new, slowing down to mere free fall from age 4-6, slowing down more in years 7-10. And from 10 to say 20, not too painful of a hit each year.

We actually were in a bit of luck when we bought our then 6 years old Country Coach, as it was very close to the bottom of the tremendous downturn on RV's, boats, etc. after the economy was hit so bad. Soo many people were getting 'out from under' expensive toys - that we got a good price on our coach. (And our deal was not one of the many 'killer deals' that were available. Ours was a 'fair price' for the what the market would bare at that time.). We actually saw some price increase as the economy turned around. Not the norm for sure, but suspect others who bought at the bottom, saw some of this too.

I also will share my opinion that certain rigs, will in their golden years, retain and may actually increase in value. Old Birds/Wanderlodges, GMC Class A, FMC Rear Engine Gasser, Airstream Class A, Airstream trailers are some examples. I feel restored rolling classics, say like the Country Coach Concept's, Country Coach Prevost's, etc. Are also showing collector like rolling classic price increases, for well rejuvenated models.

But as a general rule of thumb, the value to ownership of most of our Class A's and other RV's - are paid by the dividends of smiles by the miles as we're using them. That is priceless, as we only go around once on this trip!!!

All are just my opinions, and opinions due vary!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I'm selling my 20 year old class A rig for what I paid for it 2 years ago. Of course, it's in much better shape now that when I bought it. Gotta get my sweat equity back.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
I'm selling my 20 year old class A rig for what I paid for it 2 years ago. Of course, it's in much better shape now that when I bought it. Gotta get my sweat equity back.
I think you and Smitty77 have hit upon the big factors in that condition matters in determining residual value. The problem can be finding a cash buyer or one with enough cash to put down to bring it to bank financing value, assuming an age a bank will loan on. And then their is your ability to offset $'s with smiles.
When you spend $200 or more to take the family through the gates of the magic kingdom or a Waterpark or a pro-football game - you don't think about getting money back. You grab the adventure and good times by the scruff of the neck and enjoy the heck out of it. With RVs the time to get out is when the dollars going in don't equal or exceed the smiles coming out. And you should have a good idea about your ability to "bank" smiles and good times long before you ever buy one.

Somebody once said - The Journey is the Destination!
Old 12-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #7

I just checked the NADAguides for our coach, and the retail listed is actually slightly higher than when I checked earlier this year. It has not changed much in the last two years.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #8

Yep, upside down leaving the lot......
Old 12-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Don't like being "upside Down".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Yep, upside down leaving the lot......
Not when I bring my best friend with me to the lot, maybe you know him? ........"Cashis King"?
Old 12-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Not when I bring my best friend with me to the lot, maybe you know him? ........"Cashis King"?
know him/her well
Old 12-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Maybe it's different in the RV world, but when I bought my new car with cash a few years ago they wouldn't budge on the price for a cash sale. With the instant financing dealers have at their hand these days, there is little incentive left for cash sales. They get their money just as fast.
Perhaps it's a bit different with RV sales, but I doubt it.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Burns, I agree, to some extent, the "upside" down comes from owing to much money for a long time on anything in the "Motorized" world............A home or land is about the only things that can gain if "over financed".........in time.
There are folks on here that have a 20-30 year loan on their Coach's!.....
Old 12-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Maybe it's different in the RV world, but when I bought my new car with cash a few years ago they wouldn't budge on the price for a cash sale. With the instant financing dealers have at their hand these days, there is little incentive left for cash sales. They get their money just as fast.
Perhaps it's a bit different with RV sales, but I doubt it.
I suspect there is some difference - for instance - new RVs often sell 20 to 25% off the MSRP sticker. I did not find anything close to that possible in buy new CR-V in September or shopping Jeeps - GMC and other 4 down toads. Cash is King in the used market for RVs - but when folks are under water - they can't sell at cash offer without bringing their own money to the table on the way out the door.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
My opinion is that NADA prices on 20 year old rigs do not reflect issues of condition of the vehicle and its true value.

At NADA values for my current rig ($13,700), there is not another motor home made (Prevost or Bounder) that I would take that price on sale and apply it to a newer rig to obtain its possible additional features.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote