Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #127

I would think if you are not comfortable with 4000 miles behind you it is never going to be peaceful. It may even get worse.
My wife is getting more stressed as she ages. She is only a passenger. That may be because I have had a couple of accidents in the last 10 years. Or she reads too many horror stories.
Attending a driving school may help. Lazy Days offers one at their stores.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #128

Towing an Equinox

I drove an 08 Kountry Star for over 8 years. The driving never got easy. I could not relax as it tended to wander and I was continuing to correct the wheel. I purchased new Michelin Tires and had the wheel aligned. It still required constant adjustment to keep it on the road. I assumed that this was the way of a 40' class A. 3 years ago I moved up to a 40' Class A Tiffin Allegro. I could not believe the difference. I must pay attention or my speed will drift up over 75 MPH and it is closer to driving my car. If you are finding it stressful and difficult to make long drives on your 40' Kountry Star, I suggest you go to a dealer and compare it to another RV.
hwycruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:32 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Johnson View Post
Greetings!

We have just returned from our first long trip in our 08 Newmar Kountry Star, and I have a question for the group, particularly those new to the Class A world. This is our first RV, and we felt it was a good choice, given the "buy your second RV first" suggestions others have made.

I now have around 4k miles behind the wheel, and I still find it very stressful on the road. The coach has performed well and done everything asked of it. However, I still find myself tense and with sweaty hands almost all the time. It tends to be particularly bad in construction zones where the Jersey barriers make things feel like there is no room for error, or narrow winding roads heading for campgrounds, etc. Add the truckers who fly by considerably faster than I go (62-65 mph). It is very nerve wracking for both of us, and has stolen some of the joy we expected from the RV experience.

Am I just too new to relax? Will it get better? Or did we just take too big a bite with our RV choice?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

TC
Much of my driving stress is due to anticipating stuff that can go wrong. For this reason I'm going to get the Rettrobands for my steer wheels. (www.Rettroband.com) This way on a front tire blowout the wheel will only drop a couple of inches becoming a run-flat tire. Will have almost no force vector to push the coach out of it's lane.
Very expensive however I believe my sweaty palms will soon be a thing of the past.
mgoldstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:53 PM   #130

I suffered from the same things, especially those pesky barriers! I would get really nervous going over bridges and close to a drop off edge on mountain roads. Some of the things I did to made my life better: I replaced the aging (Non-Michelins) with some nice new Michelins; I replace the shocks with Konis; I installed a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer; I moved the driver's seat so it was directly behind the steering wheel, instead of 3 inches to the left; I got a good alignment. After all this was done, it occurred to me that a big part of the issue is the fact that the driver's head in a DP is level or ahead of the front wheels, so the sensation when turning or correcting is very different from that in a conventional vehicle. I think you will find it easier as time goes on, but, like me, you may enjoy the parking more that the driving!
Canusa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:56 PM   #131

An acquaintance who bought a Super C told me that Super C's are meant to be driven and DO's are meant to be parked. I kind of agree!
Canusa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:07 PM   #132

Time and Tricks

When we got our first Class A, I also was quite nervous and then realized that if I get behind a "big truck" (like an 18-wheeler) it gave me some help. For one thing, if "he" goes there, I can because "he's" bigger than me! I used this mentally also ford driving through towns, etc. Secondly, for a long time, I would back off the gas coming into a construction zone so I could get behind one because, again, if "he" goes through the "cattle shoots," I can! It really helped in building my confidence. Then when we were preparing to upgrade to a diesel-pusher, I took a one-day course in driving large units (they train tractor-trailer drivers as well) and it was worth every dime (about $250) especially since my on-the-road part was in the worst weather they had experienced on record! When the instructor asked if I was okay, I said, "Well, I've been better and will be glad to get back to the university." That also helped in the long run and, btw, here in PA I was required to get a non-commercial CDL based on weight. Now, after 50,000 miles or so, can't say I'm over-confident (and pray I never get so), but I definitely feel much more comfortable behind the wheel--Hope this helps!
DJsAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #133

I have driven over 75,000 miles with my Class A RV. You should always be somewhat nervous and you have to pay close attention at all times. It doesn’t take much to get into trouble. You will always worry about your next trip. That is part of living on an RV.
Ian2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:13 PM   #134

National RV Owners Club
Yes, at least it seems to be getting better! I just completed a 3000 mile round trip from Ga to NM in a new-to-me 40' Class A DP. In my previous 38' DP Class A, I had never driven over 150 miles one way through the N Ga/NC mountains on state highways. I was pretty stressed even driving it home to load up for the trip. We traveled state 3 digit highways to get to I-20 for the trip there, and I-40 for the trip back. Unfortunately, the cruise went out halfway there in MS, followed by blowouts in my inner rear tires in Dallas and Post, TX (if anyone needs RV tires in Post, TX, i highly recommend John at J&J Truck and Tire!) I was traveling for work with an inflexible traveling companion, so drove 1500 miles in 2.5 days there, and 1500 miles in 2 days back (886 miles on last day home.) The drive wouldn't have been too bad except for the cruise going out. My 2007 Coachmen requires a LOT of pedal pressure, so made the drive much more tiring. Other than the tires blowing and the cruise going out, the coach performed well. I averaged 9.4 mpg at 65 mph. The most stressful areas were Jersey barrier construction zones. I tried letting my companion drive, but had to take over again after he almost hit numerous barrels and ran over several curbs. Don't recommend my overly ambitious, deadline based travel requirements though!
Combatphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:23 PM   #135

Look way ahead

First you should be more aware when driving a 40ft rv

I have driven everything known to man and have raced motorcycles and cars and flown airplanes

I drive the RV like a drive a motorcycle looking very far ahead and never fixate on anything... notice the pothole but never fixate on it... or you will hit it every time...

use the cruise control... use the cruise control one less thing to process

get comfortable... sit in the RV and just make sure you know where everything is by instinct, move things where you want them... play with the mirrors adjust them outside to where you like them you are not limited to where the electric takes you, at night i often run with my side dock lights on so i see down the side in my mirrors, Put white dots on your gauges that mean something to you... I tend to drive about 74mph... a white dot on the instrument that lines up with 74mph lets me glance very quickly and know where i'm at... I like to refill the fuel at 1/2 tank... a white dot...

Relax... teach yourself to NOT try to respond to sway ... don't death grip the steering wheel, know that 18 wheelers are far bigger than you and they are using the same road with the same concrete barriers on each side without issue... the less you think about it the easier it becomes... I like my wife in the right seat... I like her to navigate... if you give your right seat driver a job they tend to tense up less ... for me i upgraded to a larger flat screen GPS... I like GPS but I also plot my route before i go... i make a paper note with the route simple 150miles to exit 31 north, 70miles to exit 281 south ect... with a note about when i might need fuel in 200 miles... ect...

I'm learning not to rush and to take my time... it's hard to learn to enjoy the journey when all your life it has been a race to see how fast you can get somewhere...

cheers and enjoy the journey
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #136

After having read through all ten pages of this thread, I am absolutely amazed at how many of you are afraid to drive your own motor homes! I read here and elsewhere about the “white-knuckle experience” of driving a coach and how “scary” it is to drive in a construction zone or heavy traffic. I feel sorry for you folks…that can’t be a pleasant experience.

I have been blessed with an ability to drive large vehicles without stress. Candidly, would rather drive my motor home than my car - anywhere - and I’ve done so for almost 100,000 miles. I drove more than 6,000 miles in October alone, including through some heavy traffic near the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and in some early season snow on I-80. I enjoyed every mile.

Many years ago when I was in my 20s, I drove a 36-foot cab-over straight truck for a tire company, making regional deliveries. I had a good teacher back then, and the lessons learned then are still valuable today. I think there should be a driving test and special drivers license for driving a motor home. The training that would be required to get that license could go a long way towards raising the bar of the overall skill and comfort level of motor home drivers.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:42 PM   #137

Have a stiff drink before heading out - just kidding. As for narrow roads, I have found that a key is to keep my eyes down the road at least a hundred yards. I do this all the time to identify upcoming issues, but it also helps in close quarters. Never look/glance at barricades etc - see them, but don't focus on them. Focusing down the road will
naturally keep you in the center of the lane. A little stress is normal in threatening situations, but it should not be overwhelming. Good luck.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #138

Steering stabilizer device

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Johnson View Post
Greetings!

We have just returned from our first long trip in our 08 Newmar Kountry Star, and I have a question for the group, particularly those new to the Class A world. This is our first RV, and we felt it was a good choice, given the "buy your second RV first" suggestions others have made.

I now have around 4k miles behind the wheel, and I still find it very stressful on the road. The coach has performed well and done everything asked of it. However, I still find myself tense and with sweaty hands almost all the time. It tends to be particularly bad in construction zones where the Jersey barriers make things feel like there is no room for error, or narrow winding roads heading for campgrounds, etc. Add the truckers who fly by considerably faster than I go (62-65 mph). It is very nerve wracking for both of us, and has stolen some of the joy we expected from the RV experience.

Am I just too new to relax? Will it get better? Or did we just take too big a bite with our RV choice?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

TC
We had a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer device installed on our Jayco Precept 35UP motorhome and this really helped the steering problems. It made passing and being passed by large trucks much more manageable.
Rlewis115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #139

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here are some tips to make driving easier

Take your time driving. Limit the number of miles you drive each day. When trip planning determine what you want to see at a destination in advance. Stay an extra day at some destinations so you aren’t on the road every day. Ask your partner to keep an eye out for road obstructions, emergency lights, lane ending signs, etc so you don’t need to worry about them. Buy a pair of comfortable leather driving gloves. Pull over at rest stops, get out, and walk a bit. Set the maximum number of miles you drive each day. Some days we drive 300 miles (our maximum limit) and others we drive 75 miles. There is no rule that says you have to stay in the right lane. If there are obstructions in the right lane or if you are uncomfortable, move over to another lane. Flash trucks that pass you to tell them it’s safe to move back to the right lane. Be aware that some truck drivers are jerks and others are helpful. Always try to be a helpful driver. Drive defensively. Be aware of where other traffic is around you. You don’t have to arrive at your destination as quickly as you can. Make sure your coach is aligned and ride height is properly adjusted. Inspect your tires. Calculate your tire pressures based on your weight and use these measurements, not the maximum tire pressures on your tires or the placard near your driver seat. Each tire manufacturer has a chart you can use and many truck stops have scales. Use a tire pressure monitor on both your coach and your toad. Make sure your coach weight is balanced plus or minus 200 pounds front to back and side to side as best you can. Decide on a preferred speed, consider fuel consumption, and try to stick to it. Maximum tow speed for my toad is 70 mph so I try to stay around 65 mph. 65 mph gives me about 8.5 mpg. 70 mph is much less. Consider a steering stabilizer like a Safe-T-Plus. If your ride is too harsh, consider softer shocks. I moved from Bilstein to Koni and the difference was night and day. Adjust your mirrors and, if you can, side cameras to give you the smallest blind spot. My coach is adjusted for no blind spot. Be aware of your total length but don’t obsess about it. As long as you have room you can pull over. My partner helps to make sure I am clear before changing lanes. If I am driving in a city with a lot of traffic I know that probably lanes will disappear. I select the right most lane that won’t merge and stay there until I am out of the city. This works especially well in cities such as Atlanta, Chicago, and El Paso. Some cities I avoid driving in altogether. Take an RV driving course. As long as you remember that you are sitting above your front wheels and you need to turn later than in a car driving an RV will be easier. My wife and I have an agreement. I drive the coach and she watches the scenery in addition to her copilot duties. Once we arrive somewhere she drives the car and I watch the scenery. It works well for us. As long as you aren't afraid and follow these tips you will get comfortable quickly. If you can't get past your fear find some other way to travel because you will make mistakes driving an RV.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:53 PM   #140

Confidence

If you have successfully logged 4000 miles with all that the road tosses at you (Jersey walls/construction zones, 18-wheelers, etc.) then I think you should try to accept that you’re doing pretty well and try to de-stress a bit. All of us experience some white knuckle moments but they should really only be relatively short-term moments. I would suggest not trying to drive too many hours each day, don’t drive at night, and if/when you are feeling a bit overwhelmed… find the next exit with a good place to stop, refresh, and relax. Getting there and back is a big part of the enjoyment of a Class A. Safe travels!
toomey369 is offline   Reply With Quote