RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Wonder why our rv fridge still works fine after ascending and descending 8% grades???
Because when you're moving up and down the road the motion keeps the coolant in the refrigerator moving - it's when you're stopped, and have to rely on gravity that problems occur...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Wonder why our rv fridge still works fine after ascending and descending 8% grades???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Because when you're moving up and down the road the motion keeps the coolant in the refrigerator moving - it's when you're stopped, and have to rely on gravity that problems occur...
Actually it is because the damage is ACCUMULATIVE over TIME

YES.........overheating can/does occur while in transit.
Typically when climbing/descending steep grades (long runs)

Noone pays much attention to it because there is NO obvious indications.......UNTIL one installs an ARP Device.
It monitors perk tube temps in real time and has lower temp set points vs Dometic or Norcold (especially Norcold)

Atwood HAD a helium model that incorporated a 'TILT' indication.......passive as it didn't shut down it just monitored and had a visual tilt reference.
Dometic acquired Atwood and shortly after..no more Helium models.

Too bad neither Dometic/Norcold use a real time temp control system......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #31

After this experience, of having the refer cooling unit fail, and reading this and other threads, AND having spent quite a bit of time in the process of removing and replacing said cooling unit, I have much new respect for the care and feeding of absorption refrigerators. And other than the smell of new paint heating and gassing during the first couple startups, I'm glad I stuck it out and got it done, at approx half the price of a new unit, if you don't count my time, which was considerable. Refer is keeping 36 degrees, and freezer making rock hard cubes. Anyway, anyone thinking of doing it please feel free to get in touch, happy to share the particulars of the experience. And see the attached picture, a device which will hopefully keep this from happening again, with any luck at all.

I have now turned the rig around in its parking spot to keep the afternoon FL sun off the outside wall of the refer compartment, and also will start turning off the unit when driving, just to be safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180429_134542.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	200910  
Old 04-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #32

ZigZag03

WHY turn it OFF when traveling???????

You have an ARP Device installed.
Let it do it's intended job.....monitor temps and shut unit down IF temps increase above safe levels.
ARP will turn it back on when temps are back within safe parameters

That is what the ARP Device was designed to do.....let it handle the overheat conditions IF they occur --- as designed.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #33

I have the ARP installed for several years now. Have never heard it alarm. I test it every now and then to make sure it is working right.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #34

I have never shut off the fridge while driving. It works fine and stays cold.

There is no reason to shut it off while driving.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #35

I was reading about this on the web, don't recall the site. But it said if you were in a long climb, (like going out west to Ca.) can hurt your refer.
I was surprised about that.
Having been that way a few times, and always had mine on. Didn't seem to hurt as long as you are moving.
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric