Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
The main door on my building is 18 feet wide 14 feet high, room to spare. When inside I can open all 4 slides and still have room for a work shop and storage. The entire building is 50X65, So, make the building big enough, you won't be sorry.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #16

40' is big enought for us

You need an angled storage with 14' door. We had a had time finding one.
Forget the ones that are 90 degree back in that only have 50' road between the buildings.

MBMyers

40' National
MBMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #17

I will add all the above with one thought, while I have been shopping for an RV, when I see that it has been garaged, it tells me it has been taken care of better than those that are left outside, the owner has enough resources to care for it properly so that will usually translate into the care they have given the entire coach. I won't look at one that has not been stored properly most of its life. this could be a sign of how other issues about the coach was dealt with. This may relate to how important it is to you to house your RV while you own it.
Christian51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #18

Great comments- thanks everybody!
retiredtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My 2 cents, if you're going big, go bigger than 40 foot so that you can get a tag axle. Much more weight carrying capacity, most likely a 15K # hitch, and a far superior ride. Yes more expensive, but if you are going to spend a lot of time and tow a heavier trailer, you need the extra torque a big rig engine will have available.

Most states have a length limit of 65 feet, but do not generally enforce this too strictly. Even with a 45 foot coach this leaves 20 feet (with tongue length included) for the trailer.

My coach says it's 13 feet high. I generally will not go under something labeled 13'6". Know however these bridges were original labeled less than actual height, but repaving in road could have changed this bridge height. Most 18 wheelers run about 13' 6 " in height.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
If you are in the area (or if not, met many out of state people there)
try these two places:

Texas RV Dealer, Used RVs for sale, motorhome sales, new RVs

Preowned Motorhomes and RVs - Buy or Sell Hassle Free - PPL Motor Homes
Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #21

Hello I am not too impressed by a comment from Christian 51 that said people who park their units outside don't look after them. We are not all blessed with having indoor shorage ( which by the way would love to have ) but I do look after my unit and give it tender loving care just as one with indoor staorge I only have a longer harder time keeping it looking great.Thankyou
Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Guy View Post
Hello I am not too impressed by a comment from Christian 51 that said people who park their units outside don't look after them. We are not all blessed with having indoor shorage ( which by the way would love to have ) but I do look after my unit and give it tender loving care just as one with indoor staorge I only have a longer harder time keeping it looking great.Thankyou
I think the point he was trying to make was that no matter how well you take care of an RV parked outside, there is no way it can be in as good shape as one that has been out of the sun/rain/hail/snow, etc.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #23

I agree with Medico. I bought a Newmar Dutchstar 3852 and it's 39' plus and I wish I would have gone to a 43 or 45 to get a tag. I love the star but the tag makes a huge difference in sway and going in and out driveways etc. Now if I sell the Star I will take a waxing. My .02.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure why everyone is talking about needing 15000 pounds for pulling a horse trailer. The majority of horse trailers I see being towed are being towed by a 1 ton pickup. Very few of those have 15,000 pound towing capacity and the bigger ones are almost always goosenecks. If the OP is going to be towing a bumper pull ( only thing she can tow with MH) then I am going to have serious doubts if it has to have a 15000 pound tow capacity to pull it.

I have a 38 foot tiffin and can get it pretty much anywhere I want to. I have seen several campgrounds that the 45 foot would be a bit tight but could be done. I think the bigger problem is going to be the 45 foot with a horse trailer. The questions that come to my mind is where is she going to park the horse trailer and how is she going to get it there. Trying to back it into a parking space with a 45 foot MH would be enjoyable to watch. I am not saying that it is not doable but the OP should make a list of where they would most likely go with the MH and the horse trailer then get on the phone and or internet and start checking about availability for big rigs. Campground owners could give her an idea of what they have that will accomodate all of that.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Not sure why everyone is talking about needing 15000 pounds for pulling a horse trailer. ...
I'm not sure "everyone" is. I mentioned it first only because, I don't have a clue on how big and heavy when loaded it might be. Generally speaking, IMHO, MHs with a 15k hitch probably also have a pretty good ratio of HP per pound of GVWR too. Not always but usually so.

I tend to agree with your comments on MH length especially as it MIGHT apply to the horse trailer and perhaps most of the places it might go. If the places the OP might visit don't normally have pull through parking and if they have short slots requiring parking the trailer in a separate space, it could become a problem. As an example, in another thread someone was looking for suggestions on something less than 40' because they trailered a large BBQ set up and went to BBQ competitions. The spots for the BBQ competitions were limited to enough room for the 40' MH and BBQ pit. If they went with a longer set up, they would have to rent another spot. The OP might have similar concerns that weren't thought of when they posted.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #26

Thank you for the responses. When it comes to the length of a horse trailer behind a 45' bus and the difficulty backing and maneuvering , I hear you loud and clear! In my experience, even the advertised big rig resorts can be very challenging. Our current rig is a Freightliner hauling a 4 horse trailer with a dual slide 20' living quarters; it is about 60' in length and 12' 8" high. When we get to the horse show, we are okay, as we are the norm with all the trailers and buses. It is the gas stations and restaurants and such. And narrow city streets with tall concrete curbs. When we want to stop over on a long haul and call ahead to verify have spots long enough or more importantly, wide enough roads and drives to swing out and make turns, we generally hear positive answers only to find trees, benches, narrow roads and rigs parked on top of each other. Not fun. We don't have near the turning radius of a bus. Funniest looks we ever got were taking the rig (sans horses) to Key West for some vacation time after a Florida show... A horse trailer on Hwy 1 over the water? And we stayed at a big rig resort with large lots but the aforementioned trees and permanent structures. I had notified them of what we were coming in and our requirements and they were great to work with but the stress!!!!! And the neighbors all came out to watch- it was entertaining to watch my husband back in an inch at a time. They all wanted to know when we were leaving so they wouldn't miss out on the encore!
retiredtenn is offline   Reply With Quote