Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #1

Does size really matter?

I am new here and doing my due diligence before commiting to motor home ownership and deciding if it is the right thing for my husband and myself, both newly retired.

We have been searching for a preowned 45' coach, as we have felt the size/interior room and storage capability of these would be ample whether traveling for an extended period, just ourselves and 2 dogs, or with other family members in tow. We also show horses, and are interested in the greater hp of the larger rigs in case we ever pull a loaded horse trailer behind it. This brings up a question that has been eating at me:

I see numerous references to rigs being stored in climate controlled garages when not in use? Is this important/crucial? I can't do this with a 45'. I can put it in a covered but open sided shed, with a 50 amp plug in.
I have a garage that can enclose probably a max length of 43' with a 12' door so top height 11 and change. Also a 50 amp plug.

I have no experience housing a motor home. We have stored LQ horse trailers in the accomodations I mentioned for the 45' for years, with no problem. Are familiar with winterizing etc. But is it a different beast with the motor home? In the LQ we have tvs, satellites, kitchen, (no w/d) inverters, slides, wood, leather, awnings, some computer assisted tech but not to the degree of the motor homes.

What should I do? Stay with a 45' or look for smaller? Thanks!
retiredtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We were in the same position as you 3 years ago. We researched, looked at class A's from 38 feet to the current one we have now. Our deciding factor was room, floor plan and storage. We wanted a high end coach with comfort. Just the two of us retired people. We have a climate controlled building to store it in when we are in between trips. The building is on property that we own. Fenced in with 50 amp service in and out, so I can park on the outside if I want. I recommend Inside storage, mainly for protection from the elements. We had a violent storm here yesterday with hail, I felt good that it was inside.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

We have a 43' MH and find it plenty big for Sandee, I and 2 German Shepherd Dogs. Even at that length you might have some problems with overall length if you tow a big horse trailer. I don't know the total weight of a trailer and horse set up but it is pretty standard to have a 10,000# hitch but probably not uncommon at all for 15,000#.

As to storage that really depends a lot on your situation. If you live in a place with extremes of hot and cold you get beat up no mater what you do if you leave it out. If it isn't too cold I think a covered parking spot would be fine for the most part. The nice thing about indoor storage is you can keep it cleaner, longer. Of course, it is better for tires and paint too.

I would make sure you have an accurate height for anything you buy. I would think a door height of 13' is real tights if you have anything more than AC units on top. Even then you will probably catch the CB antenna but that should flex.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #4

Retired: The quest for information on climate controlled rig storage is really a quest for information on those who can bypass many of the steps taken in winterization. No need to add cold weather antifreeze to the water storage tanks...or fuel degel'ing additives....no tire covers needed.... brake components will stay most healthy.... yadda yadda.... I do not have that ability for my old guy rig so winterization is my mantra. It is not difficult....but it is not loved.
45 footer...or smaller.... well I am thinking you have a great argument to talk yourself into a longer rig. If this is to be an extended home and you are not constrained by money in your purchase... the bigger rigs just offer that much more. More is often better as the commercial states.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #5

Thanks for all the feedback! Really like to learn from those been there, done that folks, best way in my opinion.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We wanted as big a MH as we could get without a tag...more expense, more weight, more stuff to break. Our model is listed as 40, but is actually 41, which is plenty of room for two.

The indoor storage, with power is great, although ours is not climate controlled.

As noted above, check the weight you will be towing and be sure the coach you select is rated for that much weight. Our AC tow rating is 15,000.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi retiredtenn,
Welcome to iRV2. My first coach was in 1978. All have been outside their entire lives. All one needs to do is regular exterior/roof maintenance and you will be fine. Inside climate controlled storage is a wonderful thing. Is it mandatory or even needed, for me, the answer is no.

Do not back off your quest for a 45' coach. I have a 40' coach. Moving to a 45' coach is much more expensive that making the 45' coach purchase in the first place.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #8

anyone happen to know how tall the Travel Supreme Select limiteds are? Late models. Our covered shed can accommodate our LQ which is about 13' tall.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #9

I googled this and found a 2006 with a 13'1" HEIGHT AND A 2007 AND 2008 WITH A 13'2" height if that helps.
http://www.mhsrv.com/pdfs/travel_supreme/2006Select.pdf

Travel Supreme RV Select Limited Motor Home Class A - Diesel | Reviews, Floorplans, Specs, Pictures and Price Quotes

2007 Travel Supreme Select Limited 45DL14 Specifications and Dimensions
merc669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtenn View Post
anyone happen to know how tall the Travel Supreme Select limiteds are? Late models. Our covered shed can accommodate our LQ which is about 13' tall.
The Entegra models which bought the TS line advertizes 12'11".

This is a link to a 2003 FMCA review listing the 41' model it at 12' 4" in height.

Travel Supreme Select
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #11

Thanks! I need to double check height of my trailer, its tall, hopefully the roof is tall enough for a motor home...
Do y'all recommend a Carfax or Autocheck report on any coach I have interest in? Worth the $ as far as accuracy?
What sites do you think are the best and most up to date with preowned listings? I have several I scan but not always accurate...
Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Remember, "posted" heights probably do not consider sat domes. I'm 13'3" because I am concerned about the holes if I tried to remove the unused KVH dome.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #13

Not usually much difference in the hiegths of 40-43-45 ft. Motorhomes except some of the very high end models are a few inches taller and nearly14ft. Just the fact that you store it under cover is important but climate control is not critical. My 43 ft has a tow cap of only 10,000 and with that I would be limited to how much I store on board the motorhome. Most 45 ft. Motor homes will tow 15,000 lbs with out much degradation to on board storage. Most 40 ft. Models will only tow 10,000 lbs, some less. I have a 14 ft. Rough opening so, with the door I get a little over 13 ft. That appears to be the limiting factor as I see it as well as the length of your garage. Good luck.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
Remember, "posted" heights probably do not consider sat domes. I'm 13'3" because I am concerned about the holes if I tried to remove the unused KVH dome.
Not on OP topic but you can usually remove an old KVH by unbolting the dome base from the 3 support plates and leave the plates on the roof .... no holes to repair.