Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Does the Henderson Trim unit work? Will it hold position in a Tire blowout?

I am planning to install a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer on my coach and was also looking at the Henderson Trim unit. https://supersteerparts.com/product/...ontrol-monaco/

I like the idea that I can make quick and easy adjustments to stabilizer for road crown and such, but...

after looking more closely at the Henderson Trim device, I see that it relies on friction between the air chamber pushrod and smooth/flat surface of the sliding rod to keep the Steering Stabilizer in the proper position.

It doesn't look like there is much surface area on the push rod tip to apply that friction (would be more comforting if they had used a notched sliding rod and grooved tip).

I'm wondering and concerned, that there may not be enough force applied by the air chamber to hold the rod in position if there is a sudden large force applied to the rod - like a tire blow out. The rod that comes out of the air chamber looks like it is about 1/2" diameter. So there is "only" the tip a 1/2 diameter metal rod keeping the Stabilizer from sliding out of position.

Under normal driving/steering forces the Trim design seems fine, but under the extreme force of a tire blow out the forces are much higher - and "if" the rod does move/slide under those forces then you would have the tire and the "new" rod position (i.e. the centering spring) now trying to steer the coach in the wrong direction (image the rod slides all the way to the end of its travel and your trying to turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction to keep coach on the road).

Does anyone here have this Trim device?

Has anyone had a tire blowout with the Safe-T-Plus and the Trim unit installed (if so how did it hold up)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	217993  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sitting in front of Henderson's shop this morning, waiting to go in for an alignment. I'll ask Richard his opinion and post the answer.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #3

If I am reading your post correctly you are suggesting a modification that would lock the wheel position and not allow it to move even against the pressure applied by the power steering pump which is considerable. That would produce a force against resistance problem and something would have to give way. JMHO
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:12 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Not exactly. I saying the Trim unit "should lock" in position and not allow any movement unless the air pressure in the chamber is released, but the stabilizer bar attached to the Trim unit would still be able to move (just as if the Trim unit was not attached) when the steering wheel is turned.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Henderson

I will say this about the Henderson trim unit, I would not want to be with out it. Makes the coach much easier to handle. I have never had a tire blow out so I can not answer that question.
Droski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #6

I was running about 60-65 when my front tire went boom. I held firm to the wheel, really a death grip then held gas for a few seconds and let it slow down some on its own before applying brakes. And it went straight as a arrow.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I was running about 60-65 when my front tire went boom. I held firm to the wheel, really a death grip then held gas for a few seconds and let it slow down some on its own before applying brakes. And it went straight as a arrow.
With the Trim kit?
Old 09-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
According folks at Henderson's the unit has less than an inch until it hits the to the stops - this should not effect the Safe-T-Plus functions at all in case of a blowout.

By the way Henderson just did an alignment and centered the Trim adjust for me this morning. We went on a test ride and Eric, the alignment technician has a mile long straight flat road where he set the trim and then took his hands off the wheel and we went at least 3/4 of a mile before he touched the wheel when a car cut in front of us. The coach was straight as an arrow with this test. They adjusted my TRW steering box and there is no play in the wheel at all now.

If you want a good alignment and are on Interstate 5 in OR, stop at Hendersons in Grants Pass. It took a little over 1 1/2 hour for a front, rear, and tag alignment.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
According folks at Henderson's the unit has less than an inch until it hits the to the stops - this should not effect the Safe-T-Plus functions at all in case of a blowout.

By the way Henderson just did an alignment and centered the Trim adjust for me this morning. We went on a test ride and Eric, the alignment technician has a mile long straight flat road where he set the trim and then took his hands off the wheel and we went at least 3/4 of a mile before he touched the wheel when a car cut in front of us. The coach was straight as an arrow with this test. They adjusted my TRW steering box and there is no play in the wheel at all now.

If you want a good alignment and are on Interstate 5 in OR, stop at Hendersons in Grants Pass. It took a little over 1 1/2 hour for a front, rear, and tag alignment.
What do they charge to have this done. I will be going through there in Oct.
MinnieSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I’m thinking about building one out of a 2” hitch receiver...Needs to be really strong because an 8 inch air chamber is going to put 5000+ pounds of force against what it is pushing on. It is the surface area on the other side that keeps it from moving, not just the little end on the air chamber. Have no idea how much force a blue safety plus cylinder exerts when you try to move it quickly, like in a blowout but I’m sure it’s not anywhere near enough to slide their adjusting mechanism.
According folks at Henderson's the unit has less than an inch until it hits the to the stops - this should not effect the Safe-T-Plus functions at all in case of a blowout.” Not a very comforting statement as a inch of movement on the tie rod is enough to put you in another lane, BUT that size shock cannot exerte that much force based on the size bolts used to mount it...not the bolts on either end of the shock.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
It is the surface area on the other side that keeps it from moving, not just the little end on the air chamber.

Have no idea how much force a blue safety plus cylinder exerts when you try to move it quickly, like in a blowout but I’m sure it’s not anywhere near enough to slide their adjusting mechanism.

According folks at Henderson's the unit has less than an inch until it hits the to the stops - this should not effect the Safe-T-Plus functions at all in case of a blowout.”

Not a very comforting statement as a inch of movement on the tie rod is enough to put you in another lane, BUT that size shock cannot exerte that much force based on the size bolts used to mount it...not the bolts on either end of the shock.
Thanks for asking Hendersons about this and posting back.You made some good points - and I feel better about the Trin unit now.

BTW - the centering spring on the Safe-T-Plus exerts 230 lbs force. Or put another way you need to apply 230 lbs of "additional force" (supplied by power steering system) on the steering components to get the wheels to turn.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
BTW - the centering spring on the Safe-T-Plus exerts 230 lbs force. Or put another way you need to apply 230 lbs of "additional force" (supplied by power steering system) on the steering components to get the wheels to turn.
That explains why I felt my new ride which has a safety plus was more tiring to drive than the previous rig without one. At this point I removed mine until I come up with some way of changing the center point on the fly...such as the above.^^^
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieSandy View Post
What do they charge to have this done. I will be going through there in Oct.
You should call Henderson's and ask them. Cost is dependent on the kind of coach and the work they have to do.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #14

Just get a Blue Ox Tru Center
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote