Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #1

Does Your DP Use Oil ???

Tried searching, but did not find any threads on this ....

I discovered yesterday that my engine (Cummins, 360HP) is at the "add oil" mark on the dipstick (two quarts down, right?, not two gallons??).

This unit is new this spring, currently has ~8,000 miles on it, and I have periodically been checking the oil, and have seen a slow decline in the level over that period of time. Recently I have had a significant number of cold-weather starts (cold = ~20F). I am used to gasoline engines that barely sip oil when new ...

Is the expectation different for diesel engines? Is therate of oil usage I am seeing typical for all diesel engines, or do I potentially have a problem I need to be concerned about??????

Thank you for sharing your experience ....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #2

It is possible that your dip stick needs to be re-calibrated! If you change oil and filter and use the recommended fill capacity, you can then check where the dip stick is in comparison to "full".
I would be concerned with a new engine that shows a constant oil useage. If you are indeed 2 gals. low your talking about a 35-40% useage in 8K miles assuming your capacity is 5-6 gals with filter. I would get it back to the dealer since it is still under warranty for peace of mind if nothing else.
On my Cat., if I overfill it will blow out throught the slopper tube.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #3

The add oil line should be 2 quarts/liters down. 8000 miles the rings are not seated yet and I would not consider 2 quarts use an unusual amount.
12>15000, would be considered full break in . When is your first service due? Maybe service now rather than top up the oil .
Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #4

You need to do some research on what you really have. There is some overlap among engine hp ratings but I assume that yours is a Cummins ISC. I'm not sure about the total oil capacity of the engine but it should be in the 18-22 quart range. With that total capacity it appears likely that you are not 2 gals low but you may be 2-3 quarts low which is not much for a new engine in 8k miles.

If this were my coach, I would call Cummins with my engine serial number and ask what amount of oil in the sump should put the level at the add mark. Then how much more is required to bring it to full. As mentioned earlier, many times the dip stick is not accurate. You. can calibrate the dip stick by filling using the info from Cummins. Scribe a new mark for the add level, then again at the full level.

If you want to keep up with the health of your engine over time, then start sending an oil sample to someone like Blackstone Labs at every or every other oil change. It's great for peace of mind. In your case, you will know if there is any internal problem while you are under warranty.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Cummins ISC 350 and my dipstick states at the Low Hash mark level that is it 4 quarts low (one gallon).

However, it is a good idea to have the dipstick calibrated. Many are wrong when installed.

Some ISC's will be overfilled when you bring the level up to the Full Hash mark. What happens then is that the engine will expel the oil out the breather tube all over your the rear cap of your coach and whatever you may be towing behind you at the time.

If you find that to be happening, and then it reaches its operating level, this means that the dipstick is not calibrated correctly.

My engine has a little over 70,000 miles and it does use oil. I may have to add 3-4 quarts over 8-10,000 miles depending on the terrain I have been driving through.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #6

I bought my DP with about 12,500 miles and it didn't use any oil. Now it has about 31,000 and still hasn't used any. I change the oil and filter every year, and I did calibrate the dipstick the first time to make sure of the proper marks on it. If your rig has too much oil in it it could be throwing it out somewhere.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Bought my DP (400 ISL Cummins) in 2007 and in 50,000 miles I've added one quart of oil. I get it serviced annually.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #8

Engine is a Cummins ISB6.7. Oil capacity is either 15qt or 19qt (sorry - not sure which). I think it most likely the dipstick is saying 2-qts down (not 2 gal, that would be really bad). I have not noticed any oil thrown around the back or on the toad.

Next service is the 12 month/15,000 mile. I am just putting the rig to bed for the winter, and so was planning to wait until spring to have the oil changed.

Interesting that some have seen oil usage, and some have not. Maybe the difference is a new versus "used" engine??

What is the difference between the ISB and ISC engines????
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler
Engine is a Cummins ISB6.7. Oil capacity is either 15qt or 19qt (sorry - not sure which). I think it most likely the dipstick is saying 2-qts down (not 2 gal, that would be really bad). I have not noticed any oil thrown around the back or on the toad.

Next service is the 12 month/15,000 mile. I am just putting the rig to bed for the winter, and so was planning to wait until spring to have the oil changed.

Interesting that some have seen oil usage, and some have not. Maybe the difference is a new versus "used" engine??

What is the difference between the ISB and ISC engines????
The ISB is 6.7 liter with around 600 lb/ft of torque. The ISC is 8.3 liter with around 1000 lb/ft of torque. Both have been around for awhile and are both successful designs in their weight class.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #10

Cat. C-9 34 quarts change yearly no visible lose.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MN_Traveler,
Only when you change the oil and count the quarts to get to the full mark on the dipstick will you know if the dip stick is okay. In addition your engine could be like mine. Engine capacity is 24 quarts. 22 quarts puts the oil level at the add mark on the dip stick. I found out a long time ago if I put 24 quarts in, the engine will burn off 2 quarts. Then it stops. It will stay at the add oil mark for 9 months or about 12K miles before I need to add a quart to get it back to the add mark on the dipstick. For some reason the engine likes to run 2 quarts below the recommended 24 quarts. If that makes the engine happy, so am I. Your engine may be similar and just like to run at the add mark on the dipstick. Try running at the add mark and see if it settles in at that point.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #12

Most diesel engines by design will loose a small amount of oil. They have a road draft tube(slobber) and gas engines do not. Gas engines have a PVC system that directs crankcase gasses into the intake to be burned. Do us older members remember the oil slicks in the middle of the lanes on the freeway? This was pre PVC when all engines had slobber tubes. Two quarts in 6000 miles is very good oil loss. Mine uses about that.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I assumed with mine that the add mark was 4 qt ( 1 gal) and I know Never assume .
I did burn 3 qts untill the 10,000 mile mark and then none since then.. Give it some time , that trusty ISB may just need a little more break in.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My engine will burn two quarts of oil, and the dipstick will then show ADD. That leaves 20 quarts of oil in the pan. Then it won't burn any more oil.

I change oil roughly @ 5000 miles. Some do it @ 10,000 miles. I figure if the engine wants to burn 2 quarts of oil in that mileage, so what? It's not costing me the 2 quarts. I'm doing an oil change anyway.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote