Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #15

I have always done my own work in all vehicles. Unfortunately a disabled back and neck put me out of work. We sold the house and bought a DP.
My question is where do full timers do the maintenance work. I do a lot of my own repairs. At least as much as I can. I'm not afraid to tackle most items. What keeps me paying for oil changes is no place to do them. I'm afraid to do them at any campgrounds I'm at. Our lot in Florida we own but I can't see the management allowing me to change the oil and I don't want the mess.
Any ideas?
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #16

Well done. I am impressed.
Ours is new enough that I am able to the easier stuff.
Learn as I go.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
2015 Fiat 500 Pop stick
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
I have always done my own work in all vehicles. Unfortunately a disabled back and neck put me out of work. We sold the house and bought a DP.
My question is where do full timers do the maintenance work. I do a lot of my own repairs. At least as much as I can. I'm not afraid to tackle most items. What keeps me paying for oil changes is no place to do them. I'm afraid to do them at any campgrounds I'm at. Our lot in Florida we own but I can't see the management allowing me to change the oil and I don't want the mess.
Any ideas?
As a fulltimer, we do our work at family's members houses. I'm lucky to have brothers in Upstate NY, Long Island and Florida and a daughter in PA.

Haven't had a breakdown that stopped us from getting to one of them yet.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #18

I have always done my own maintenance and repairs, everything from removing tires to replacing an exhaust manifold, removing radiators, replacing fan bearings. I buy the correct tools because likely I will use them again? I even try electronics, mounted a satellite dish and ran all new coax, mounted tv's. Most things are possible if you put your mind to it. I even found replaceable fittings for HWH hoses and how to make them work after the factory told me they don't make them, you have to change the hose out. If I could have gotten the hose out without dismantling half the coach I would have. Most of these things I have never done before. I have people ask "how do you know how to do it" followed by I could never do that. Well I don't know how to do it, I just figure it out. This forum is a big help. You tube, search engines also good resources. Whatever your issue it is likely someone on here has done it or knows something to get you started. Knock on wood I have not had to take a coach to a shop in the last 10 years. I also over maintain, my thinking is prevention. I couldn't afford to own this coach if I had to pay someone everytime I thought something was wrong. Well I could but my Wife would freak out when I told her how much $ it cost for repairs. Major engine overhaul I couldn't do, but a turbo, hydraulic pump or motor yes. Transmission repair no. Gotta know your limits too. It would bug me to pay someone $120 an hour to do something I could do myself. I think 1/2 the time they have to figure it out just like I would.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I still do all servicing and repairs.At 76 it just takes me longer.The main problem I have is all the changes that have been made since I retired.I am fortunate I have a son and grandson that I can call for advise on the new stuff.
When I read about all the problems that RV's have getting repair's I would be much more understanding if I was still working.
Doyle and Peggy
1999 Country Coach 2013 Silverado 4x4 crew
mackpeteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:05 AM   #20

I admire all the work a lot of you do. When I am under the coach, most of the time I have no idea what I am looking at. I have done stuff like replacing the air dryer and air filter, and installing a True Center and replacing TVs, lubing the Pac Brake, etc. But I bring the coach to Speedo or the local Freightliner dealer for the oil and filters change and lubrication and most of the other items on the maintenance list. I wish there was someone that could show me things like how to lubricate everything and other tasks.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
I admire all the work a lot of you do. When I am under the coach, most of the time I have no idea what I am looking at. I have done stuff like replacing the air dryer and air filter, and installing a True Center and replacing TVs, lubing the Pac Brake, etc. But I bring the coach to Speedo or the local Freightliner dealer for the oil and filters change and lubrication and most of the other items on the maintenance list. I wish there was someone that could show me things like how to lubricate everything and other tasks.

If you've serviced the air dryer & installed a TruCenter, you have already exceeded the difficultly factor or an oil/filter change. The addition of a Fumoto valve for ez oil draining is a good idea. The only difficulty there is the volume of oil involved. The only difficulty with the fuel filters is priming the system with fuel when finished and you can get advise on how to do that for your specific situation. Living is another thing that's generally dirty and messy but not technical. If you contact your chassis manufacturer, they can provide you with a diagram of the location and number of Lube points on your chassis.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
Wow that's very cool appreciate the post, yes it is inspirational! I think I will service my Onan generator this week
That's what I was thinking too. Btw, I tackled our DP maintenance myself. I had never worked on a diesel before. The CAT dealer and O'Reilly automotive are great references.
Plasticman is offline   Reply With Quote