Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Domestic 2 door side by side

Our freezer is -16C the fridge 15C. What can we do to get the fridge colder and freezer warmer?
Wildman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would call the customer service number at Dometic and give them the model number. You could need a simple part like a sensor.

I am sure you will not be the first to ask their opinion, and they are the authority.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #3

-16*C-----3*F
15*C-----59*F

Freezer temp is where it should be
Food compartment temp is 19*F too hot

Freezer evap coil gets cooling effect FIRST then the food compartment evap coil gets left over absorption effect.
Once freezer temps are cold (10*F or lower) THEN food compartment can get colder cause more absorption of heat by ammonia vapor is available

Temp sensor in food compartment is what thermostat uses to control heating cycles.
IF thermistor is bad thermostat has no feed back on temps.

By 2 door side by side I assume you mean a 1350 model.
If so w/o thermistor fridge stops cooling

Test thermistor by unplugging leads from circuit board (backside of fridge)
Place thermistor in a glass of ice water (more ice then water) with thermometer.
With temp at 33*/35*F wait 10 minutes then measure OHMS at end of leads.
8000--10000 ohms good. Otherwise replace thermistor

Hopefully it is the thermistor cause NEXT is not good

Freezer getting COLD and food compartment NOT
Obstruction/blockage in cooling unit tubing. Freezer evap coil OK but food compartment evap coil isn't...new cooling unit or fridge replacement

Fridge IS level...correct?
Is it on electric or propane.....or doesn't matter same results??
Model 1350?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Old Biscuit is right on target. Something is wrong with the fridge cooling and food will spoil quickly ay 15 C.

You cannot adjust the proportion of cooling between freezer and fridge - it is fixed by the cooling unit design. It may be possible to make both cooler and get the fridge to usable temps, but the typical reason for this sort of difference is the early sign of a failing (leaking) cooling unit. Poor fridge area cooling is the first symptom.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
I would call the customer service number at Dometic and give them the model number......

Customer service? At Dometic?

Other than printing the words "customer service" on their website, I've never encountered any evidence that Dometic even has a customer service department.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:59 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This often occurs in my older model Dometic side by side when exterior temps are high 80's or up. I did two things. First I bought one of those cheap fans for inside the fridge on the bottom shelf to help circulate air better. The other was to mount a fan on the back side to force air over the coils. Both of these allowed me to keep the fridge temp acceptable when it's really hot outside.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I Don't disagree with Gary or Old-Biscuit, those guys are always right on but I can offer a small possibility that could be way better than a failing cooling unit. The Dometic side by side in my unit was recently replaced but before I bought the coach and it had similar symptoms as yours. Turned out the refer was fine but the installation was done poorly. The blocking/insulation in the enclosure was bad and pushed out of position for one thing. The vent/draft area in the back was a little obstructed by a bundle of wires too. When I got those things corrected all was good.
What I learned is you can't just shove the refer into a hole in the wall and expect it to work. It has to be done like Dometic tells you in the instructions.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not quite sure who I'm "Quick reply"ing to or asking a question of b/c we just recently joined IRV2 and I'm still not real familiar w/how this works. I noticed Old-Biscuit mentioned a question in his reply:

Fridge IS level...correct?

Altho we purchased a 2003 FW Pace Arrow (our first RV) 10-31-16, the Dometic NDA1402 that was installed in 2012 (per a job ticket found in the paperwork) seems to be working well. But I cannot find a lot reference material on how this refrigerator works - ammonia absorption ? - but I have heard from other folks on the road that newer fridges are not as sensitive to "level" requirement. I've tried contacting Dometic, agree w/JFXG here. I've called a couple of dealers & as long as I'm interested in replacing this unit, they're happy to talk but don't be pickin' their brain - and I understand, time IS money.

So my question is is there some way to find out whether the Dometic I have is a newer model that is not as sensitive level requirement?

We're in No. Georgia which is just chock full of hills. We have created a crush run pad next to the house. It ends 90' after a +/- 5% grade 75' driveway. The Coach always rests at just under a bubble out of level. We have installed 30 amp breaker for coach.

So, here I am at last - can I start this fridge a day early when we're planning a trip so that I can keep cold/frozen stuff cold/frozen w/out relying on cumbersome, inefficient coolers? Thanks for any assistance.
Micki-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I have tried to find out the same information you are looking for too and never found a great answer. I have a sloped driveway at home. The best I have found is the level from side to side while facing the refrigerator should be within 3 degrees (thats 5/8" rise per foot run with a level) and it should be withing 6 degees front to back. As expensive as it is to replace a cooling unit I would advise caution.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
I have tried to find out the same information you are looking for too and never found a great answer. I have a sloped driveway at home. The best I have found is the level from side to side while facing the refrigerator should be within 3 degrees (thats 5/8" rise per foot run with a level) and it should be withing 6 degees front to back. As expensive as it is to replace a cooling unit I would advise caution.
Thank you so much for reply. My husband spent 35 yrs in roofing, I know he'll be able to take your info and tell me how close or how far we are. Thanks again.
Micki-D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door