Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

Dometic 15m Penguin Heat Pump

Hi everybody I need a little advice,

Got home from work today and recieved the second notice from Dometic asking me if I would like to purchase an additional 1-3 year warranty on both units on top of the 2 year warranty parts and labor on the units. Has anyone else done this ? I realize it depends on how long we plan on owning the mh but just wanted to know if it was beneficial to anyone else in the forum. As always thank you all for your time and knowledge.

Sincerely, David

BTW we bought the mh in October and it's new.
NEWMARDS3724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The new units are made in China. They are not at all as durable as the older units.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #3

I have had both go out in less than 2 years. Enough said.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #4

It really depends on the cost of the extended service plan.

The cost of new roof mounted a/c units is relatively inexpensive in comparison with some other components on RV's. And they can be easily replaced in short time.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWMARDS3724 View Post
Hi everybody I need a little advice,

Got home from work today and recieved the second notice from Dometic asking me if I would like to purchase an additional 1-3 year warranty on both units on top of the 2 year warranty parts and labor on the units. Has anyone else done this ? I realize it depends on how long we plan on owning the mh but just wanted to know if it was beneficial to anyone else in the forum. As always thank you all for your time and knowledge.

Sincerely, David

BTW we bought the mh in October and it's new.
Buy it!!!! I bought the 3 year extension for my 2013 Ventana and I am on my 5th. set of AC units - that's 10; and the best part is that it will cover both parts and labor. They finally sent me the Blizzard NXT because of the Penguin II issues.

Not only are they made in China, Domestic has started using a vertical mount LG compressor, and I don't think that they will hold up.

So, for that extra $350 ??? this is the only extended insurance that I'm happy to own.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Buy it!!!! I bought the 3 year extension for my 2013 Ventana and I am on my 5th. set of AC units - that's 10; and the best part is that it will cover both parts and labor. They finally sent me the Blizzard NXT because of the Penguin II issues.

Not only are they made in China, Domestic has started using a vertical mount LG compressor, and I don't think that they will hold up.

So, for that extra $350 ??? this is the only extended insurance that I'm happy to own.
Lass,

I appreciate your experience and time. $166.90 for 3 Year extended warranty for 1 unit double that for 2. I'll talk it over with the wife and probably move on this before the expiration date in Feb.

Thanks again guys for all the comments, David
Old 01-15-2017, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post

10 holy cow, what were your issues. Both of mine failed producing hot or cold air.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
10 holy cow, what were your issues. Both of mine failed producing hot or cold air.

The first 3 years with the old style horizontal compressors were fine but starting in year 4, the new LG vertical compressors were so loud that I gave up. Actually sent a recording of the sound to Dometic and they just kept sending new units until I was satisfied.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
GET IT!

I also went through 5 units in 2 years on my front one. 2 of those in 2 weeks!

The current one is noisy at times but I will suffer through it until it breaks. I'm more concerned at this point about the affect to the roof for reinstalling another unit on the roof.

I would need to double check some coach height measurements but I would probably have to go with the new Blizzard NXT if I needed to replace either of my units. The NXT is NOT a direct replacement but there are relatively simple mods to the ducting that can be made. However, it is about 2.5" taller than the Penguin II unit is.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
GET IT!

I also went through 5 units in 2 years on my front one. 2 of those in 2 weeks!

The current one is noisy at times but I will suffer through it until it breaks. I'm more concerned at this point about the affect to the roof for reinstalling another unit on the roof.

I would need to double check some coach height measurements but I would probably have to go with the new Blizzard NXT if I needed to replace either of my units. The NXT is NOT a direct replacement but there are relatively simple mods to the ducting that can be made. However, it is about 2.5" taller than the Penguin II unit is.
Sky Boss,

Thank you for the insight and your knowledge on this issue. Going to write the check this week. Safe travels my friend..

David
Old 01-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One last thought....

Supposedly you can tell if a unit was made in China by the serial number having a "C" in it. Take that for what it is worth. The idea being that if it was made somewhere else it is "better".

Unfortunately, as others allude to and my RV techs told me, the compressor design is not very rugged. No matter how well they are built and if that is true, you can't make them any better during assembly.

Tags
dometic, heat, heat pump