Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #1

Dometic Fridge Issue

I turned on my Dometic frig on propane. Two days later, the frig temp was at 60. The dealer replaced the cooling unit. They ran it on electric. It cooled to 33 on electric. Brought it home. Ran it on propane to check it out. The temp went up to 60. The dealer replaced the control board. All this was suggested by Dometic. Dealer ran it on propane. It cooled to 33. Brought it home and ran it on electric. The temp went up to 58 overnight. Went back to the dealer. He ran it on electric. The frig went down to 33. Why doesn't it work at my house? When plugged to my house, everything else in the motorhome works on 110. It only seems to be the frig. HELP!
novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #2

Try RV Cooling Unit Warehouse and look for the phone number. The owner is a man named David Force. He has helped me keep our unit running, talked me through replacing the cooling unit, and been a source of info for helping me get a friend's unit running again. He gives excellent customer service and I highly recommend him to anyone with rv fridge issues. Good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #3

It does not like your house...

Measure ac volts at fridge at home as first step.

If works at dealer and not at home then possible intermittent that was fine at dealer or something funny while at home.

Get voltmeter and read manual and troubleshoot while at home.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #4

I checked at home outlet. It was 120 volts. I also checked polarity at the plug. Eveything was correct.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #5

are you level? if the refig. is not level it w0nt work properly. ck to make sure your flame is on.
Old Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
It does not like your house...
time to sell the house, go for full time
mine is a newer model 1292. it gets to 30ish on either propane or electric, regardless at a dealer or at home.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

The motorhome is close to level. It has been working in my driveway since new in 2010.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take it back to the dealer, he replaced the cooling unit and the control board and it still does not work. Tell him you will pick it up after he fixes it and tests it on both gas and electric.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Just wondering why did they replace the cooling unit?
Old 11-10-2014, 01:06 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a thought after you have spent so much money and it is still not working. I know I have not seen all the posts by any means, But I have not seen one post where someone switched over to a residential refrigerator and wished they had stayed with their dometic.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #11

The cooling unit was replaced when it did not work on propane. It worked on electric at the dealer. The control board was replaced because it was found to intermittently fail. It has worked at the dealer on gas and electricity. I was hoping someone else has experienced this. Looks like the answer is no.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

First of all you need a different dealer shop. They've been throwing expensive and unneeded parts at it with obviously no knowledge of how an RV fridge works. You did not need a cooling unit, and probably not a board either. If the cooling unit worked on electric, there was nothing at all wrong with it - the only difference between LP and electric is the heat source. Cooling unit is exactly the same for both.

Nor is it a leveling issue if Electric works. Again, everything is identical as far as leveling is concerned.

If the electric mode problem occurs only at your house, then we need to do some diagnosis to see if the fridge is getting proper 120v power at the house. What is the power source at home? When you use electric mode at home, what is displayed on the fridge control panel? Does it stay in Auto/Electric mode or switch to LP?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have had problems with our Norcold 2 door frig and the cooling unit most of the time is not the issue. In ours I found no signs of residue from a leaking cooling unit or smell. I checked the easy stuff, heating element, thermistor, and burner. My burner had carbon flakes that I cleaned out with air from a compressor. (worked better with strong flame) It turned out it was the board which I replaced. Hopefully they installed everything correctly. On Norcold you can check for error codes.
This is some info on cooling units problems: What is the
Old 11-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #14

Everything so far has been covered by my Cornerstone extended coverage. The dealer ran tests going from electric to propane using my extension chord for the electric hookup. The frig was between 33 and 34 degrees at the dealer. It is now back at my house. I was asked by the Service Manager to plug the motorhome to electric, do not open the frig door and make sure the gage shows that the frig indicator light for propane is off and the indicator light for auto is on. He wants to let it run for a couple of hours. He wants to know the results. If the temp starts going up, he said he wiil immediately come to the house to see what is happening. I will update after the couple of hours goes by. This dealer has been helpful and is concerned. They want their customers to be happy and satisfied.

Tags
dometic, fridge