Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #1

Dometic Thermostat and Heat Pump problems

About 3 months ago I was boondocking in Panamint Valley. It was warm during the day and cold at night. One morning I fired up the generator and turned on the Thermostat to heat pump and set it to 70 and walked away. After about 3 mins of nothing coming on, the furnace (Oasis) fans came on in the front (zone 1)of the MH and the heat pump came on in the back (zone 2). I looked at the thermostat and checked the temperature inside the MH, zone 1 read 32f and zone 2 read 56f. It was about 44f outside. The thermostat for zone 1 was blinking from HP to Furn and back. Now I do know if it cold outside it will do this but I think the cutoff is 40f. Also why is zone 1 showing 32f? Looking through the manual for the thermostat, I found how to reset it. I went through the procedure and nothing changed.

I took it to my local dealer, when I got home, since I have an extended warranty. Dont get me started how long it took them to look at it. Anyway when they did and the manager claimed they did a reset (just like me) and all was working. They charged me $70 for this. I figured as long as it works. I went to pick it up. I got in the MH and decided to check. I fired up the generator and turned on the thermostat. IT WAS NOT FIXED! I walked back in to the manager and told him. He got a puzzled look on his face. I asked him to come check it. He sent a tech to look at with me. The tech #1 agreed it was not working correctly. Then we walked back in to the manager. Tech #1 told him it was not working. The manager wanted a second opinion (apparently tech #1 had only worked there 2 weeks so the manager did not trust him). Tech #2 got in and proceeded to tell me that is how it is suppose to work and there is nothing wrong with it. I was about to come unglued. I walked back into the mangers office and tech #2 would not come with me. The manager said he would have to call Dometic. I decided to leave it.

They called the next day to say it was fixed and that it was a bad plug. I drove down to pick it up. As I arrived they were driving it out so I could drive away. I got in and tech #1 was there looking puzzled. He said it is still having the problem. Then as we were standing there it started working correctly. Well since it was the wife's Bday the next week and we had plans, I decide I would just take it and deal with it. I told the tech I will bring it back and he agreed.

When we took it out it still had the same intermittent problem.

So I ask what would you do? Take it back to this dealer and hope tech #2 dosnt work on it or should I go someplace else?

Also has anyone ever had this problem before with a Dometic thermostat?

Kent
N6WT
N6WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 07:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Absolutely find someplace else. I bought my rig and my extended warranty from a dealership, Darren Bideaux in Ogden Utah, and their service department was the WORSE. Two attempts and they sucked both times. One time, they left all the lights on, drained all the batteries to dead. In two weeks, they fixed NOTHING. Morons! So I fired them, and I'd advise you to do the same.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:36 AM   #3

I had an issue with a dometic thermostat showing 32 deg f inside, and it took months to troubleshoot.
Several RV repair people looked at it, and couldn't fathom it out.
I finally decided to look myself, and with the help of a guy on here, determined that it was the freeze sensor grounding out to the evaporator.
It had been pushed in too far, and the insulation was nicked. This problem first showed up when using the heat pump.
A quick fix if you are handy, the sensor is about 30 bucks.
May not be your problem, but it is worth checking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sensor.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	233261  
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:10 AM   #4

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
Did you get to do the loop?
G jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magredvet View Post
I had an issue with a dometic thermostat showing 32 deg f inside, and it took months to troubleshoot.
Several RV repair people looked at it, and couldn't fathom it out.
I finally decided to look myself, and with the help of a guy on here, determined that it was the freeze sensor grounding out to the evaporator.
It had been pushed in too far, and the insulation was nicked. This problem first showed up when using the heat pump.
A quick fix if you are handy, the sensor is about 30 bucks.
May not be your problem, but it is worth checking.
Yes I am handy! I also see we have the same year and make of coach. This gives me hope.

Where is the sensor located?

Kent
Old 01-28-2019, 06:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by G jeffers View Post
Did you get to do the loop?
Loop?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6WT View Post
Yes I am handy! I also see we have the same year and make of coach. This gives me hope.

Where is the sensor located?

Kent
Not trying to butt in here, just help. The freeze sensor is normally pushed into the fins on the a/c condenser. The fins are sharp and can skin the insulation if not careful
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #8

MoCoTom, is correct, it is pushed into the fins of the evaporator, and mine had the nicked insulation.
You need to remove the shroud, then remove the evap cover, and it is right in front of you, with white wires.
The wires plug into the board, which is on the side of the unit, under a sheetmetal cover.
Discharge the caps first, before going in there....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sensorinst.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	233325   Click image for larger version

Name:	acbox.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	233326  

Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
MoCoTom, is correct, it is pushed into the fins of the evaporator, and mine had the nicked insulation.
You need to remove the shroud, then remove the evap cover, and it is right in front of you, with white wires.
The wires plug into the board, which is on the side of the unit, under a sheetmetal cover.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:11 PM   #10

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
Quote:
Loop?
Yes, up pleasant canyon behind Ballarat, across South from Rogers pass to South Park and down South Park canyon. The Loop.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by G jeffers View Post
Yes, up pleasant canyon behind Ballarat, across South from Rogers pass to South Park and down South Park canyon. The Loop.
Yes I have done that loop. How did you know??

Kent
N6WT
Old 02-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #12

Quote:
So I took the lid off and discharged the cap (I hate getting shocked). I removed the freeze sensor and could see no evidence of the insulation being cut. I put everything back together. But now after doing this the thermostat is working correctly and the heat pump work also. Not sure what to think.

I will leave it for now and hope the problem does not come back.

Thanks for the help.

Kent
N6WT
Old 02-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes I have done that loop. How did you know??

Kent
N6WT
Let's see...Jeep Ruby, boondocking in Panimint Valley, if you hadn't done it to you needed to haha! I've done it 20 or 30 times,I used to live in Trona. I live in Nevada now but still go back every year or so. Love Panimint.

Tags
dometic, ems, heat, heat pump, problem, problems, thermostat