Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2018, 07:00 AM   #141

Wow. Some folks seem overly sensitive, No? I don't think anyone's going to leave any marks with what they type, and I have gotten some good food for thought on this thread.

1. I think I will get some spray bleach disinfectant and spray the hose connection when I hook up. Just common sense - I'm getting older and as you age, your immune system isn't as efficient as it used to be (I'm a nurse, so I get to worry about germs).
2. When I hook up, I'll continue to do the fresh water hose first, run some water through it to flush it out before connecting to the rig (I already do this)
3. Sewer connection last.

this sequence is common sense and the addition of the bleach on the hose connection is a reasonable precaution. I haven't done it to this point, but I will. Personal preference.

When disconnecting. Same sequence with the addition of flushing the black tank with a different, utility hose after removing the white, potable water hose:

1. disconnect fresh water hose
2. gloves (optional, but I try to do this most of the time)
3. connect utility hose to black water tank flush
4. drain black, flush black, drain gray.
5. I do have a flushing cap for the sewer hose if I need to rinse the stinky slinky:
https://www.google.com/search?q=camc...80881668220560
6. WASH HANDS!

If I'd have to use a dump station, I would not rinse the black tank - but if there's a hose connection and no line: go for it.

Overall: Sharing your experience is what it's all about. If you feel strongly, fine. I really haven't seen much in the way of insults on this site and it's the best one I've found out there. You really can't interpret text as readily as face-to-face, so sometimes humor or light sarcasm can certainly be misinterpreted. I wouldn't throw out the knowledge on this site just because a poster got a little enthusiastic.

Health issues are important to me and this has been a great thread for the info and concerns. It WILL change my practice slightly. Will it save me from Hepatitis or norovirus? Actually .... it might

best to all:

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I find it interesting and it’s quite evident how prevalent the all about me attitude has become.

Those who have no problem because you use bleach. Well what about the elderly couple or the family with kids that comes in behind you that doesn’t use bleach because they believe everyone has the same respect for the spigot as they do.

I miss the time where others considered how they might affect others.

Then they are being very naive......the world is full of germs
Fuel nozzle, grocery carts, bathroom door handles, buffet line, drinking fountains, pic-nic tables, Grill at parks, etc etc etc

Speaking of bathroom duties...
After finishing your business do you wash your hands before or after pulling your pants back up.....
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #143

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Then they are being very naive......the world is full of germs
Fuel nozzle, grocery carts, bathroom door handles, buffet line, drinking fountains, pic-nic tables, Grill at parks, etc etc etc

Speaking of bathroom duties...
After finishing your business do you wash your hands before or after pulling your pants back up.....
That all depends on how things went.

And because they are trusting its ok for us to make them sick?
Old 10-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
That all depends on how things went.

And because they are trusting its ok for us to make them sick?

It's not all about the 'me generation',,,there HAS to be some personal responsibility for ones own self

One should NEVER assume anything that is for public use is 'safe'.
And I dang sure can't worry about what others do/don't do to protect themselves as they see fit...or don't

I have hard enough time with taking care of ME
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post

Health issues are important to me and this has been a great thread for the info and concerns. It WILL change my practice slightly. Will it save me from Hepatitis or norovirus? Actually .... it might

best to all:

Dave
It really might. We went on a 14 day cruise with 19 family members. I had already had Norvirus and was not spending any part of the cruise lying on the bathroom floor wishing I was dead.

I washed my hands, kept them out of my mouth, nose, eyes etc. I pressed elevator buttons with a part of me that wasn't used for anything else. lol If we had a buffet adventure I tried to scoop with one hand and handle foods that you eat with your hands with the other.

At the end of the cruise. All of the entire family was sick with some lung infection sinus crud that actually put a few in the hospital. My husband had to go to the Dr. . One of the family members is a surgical nurse. She came down with it hard.

They all got sick near the end of the cruise. I had brought cold meds etc with me and was playing nurse. I never even came down with the slightest sniffle.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
It's not all about the 'me generation',,,there HAS to be some personal responsibility for ones own self

One should NEVER assume anything that is for public use is 'safe'.
And I dang sure can't worry about what others do/don't do to protect themselves as they see fit...or don't

I have hard enough time with taking care of ME
Haha yeah I deal with the stupid things people do daily and have to explain why they can't have it the way they think it should be.

My husband didn't realize the faucet could be contaminated. He would never do something like that he figured no one else would either. Yes he is naive. Sometimes I think my sole purpose is to keep him in one piece. haha

Told him after he got his new life insurance policy I wasn't going to work so hard at it anymore.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #148

I just throw mine in the dishwasher when we get home. Told my wife it's part of the self-cleaning dishwasher kit.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #149

Has anybody ever noticed that, and wonder why every municipal water treatment plant draws water upstream from where the wastewater treatment plant discharges?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #150

And there is almost always another water plant downstream sucking up water to fill the next cities pipes.

Kinda like the country folks having their drinking water well near their neighbors septic tank.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
And there is almost always another water plant downstream sucking up water to fill the next cities pipes.

Kinda like the country folks having their drinking water well near their neighbors septic tank.

Our septic system is in the back yard and the drain field is about 3' deep. The well is in the front yard and about 100' deep. I'm not too worried about contamination there. In fact most ground water aquifers are supplied from water sources hundreds of filtering miles away.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Wow. Some folks seem overly sensitive, No? I don't think anyone's going to leave any marks with what they type, and I have gotten some good food for thought on this thread.

1. I think I will get some spray bleach disinfectant and spray the hose connection when I hook up. Just common sense - I'm getting older and as you age, your immune system isn't as efficient as it used to be (I'm a nurse, so I get to worry about germs).
2. When I hook up, I'll continue to do the fresh water hose first, run some water through it to flush it out before connecting to the rig (I already do this)
3. Sewer connection last.

this sequence is common sense and the addition of the bleach on the hose connection is a reasonable precaution. I haven't done it to this point, but I will. Personal preference.

When disconnecting. Same sequence with the addition of flushing the black tank with a different, utility hose after removing the white, potable water hose:

1. disconnect fresh water hose
2. gloves (optional, but I try to do this most of the time)
3. connect utility hose to black water tank flush
4. drain black, flush black, drain gray.
5. I do have a flushing cap for the sewer hose if I need to rinse the stinky slinky:
https://www.google.com/search?q=camc...80881668220560
6. WASH HANDS!

If I'd have to use a dump station, I would not rinse the black tank - but if there's a hose connection and no line: go for it.

Overall: Sharing your experience is what it's all about. If you feel strongly, fine. I really haven't seen much in the way of insults on this site and it's the best one I've found out there. You really can't interpret text as readily as face-to-face, so sometimes humor or light sarcasm can certainly be misinterpreted. I wouldn't throw out the knowledge on this site just because a poster got a little enthusiastic.

best to all:

Dave
Well stated. Fecal Bacteria is present in many water sources and that is why the boil water notice kicks in when chlorination has been interrupted or the system has been opened due to repairs or breaks. With more people present on the planet the potential gets worse by the day. Good sanitation is a must.

I worked in the water treatment industry for 40 years.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote