Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 08:21 AM   #1

Don’t do it, it’s gross!

Full-timing for just over a year we have developed a pretty efficient setup/takedown routine. One thing we always do is spray down the water supply with bleach. It only took watching one guy do this to make it a “must do” step. Folks the potable water spigot IS NOT there to clean your stinky slinky, people use that water for drinking!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0991.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	221722
2aktravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #2

Get over it. As long as there's no contact, water comes OUT the FW hose and IN the waste hose. You think germs swim upstream?

Door knobs are the dirtiest item in existence, keep your bleach handy.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
After watching male dogs lift their leg on low lying water spigots I carry a spray bottle of bleach and liberally spray the spigot. Some pet owners are really rude!!!!
2inclassof56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Get over it. As long as there's no contact, water comes OUT the FW hose and IN the waste hose. You think germs swim upstream?

Shopping cart handles ..... nasty!
Old 10-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post

"Get over it"????

Yeah sure. This is another one of the many non-common sense, no-common decency and no common courtesy things that some idiots seem to display quite often. Yes, water DOES FLOW OUT but, there's also SPLASH BACK that can quite possibly happen which, would not only get contaminates on the spigot but, anywhere else it's not supposed to go. This was just plain stupid and we all know, you can't fix stupid.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't see the problem. His hose is all that is coming in contact and germs will not travel upstream several feet. He could have just rinsed it with his grey water tank alot easier though.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #7

6 years full timing and never felt the need to flush my sewer hose out. The grey does that.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our county health department requires bleach/water mix to be thrown out and remade every 24 hours. After that time it is no longer effective for sanitizing. Do those of you who use bleach do that?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #9

I wash my sewer hose like that all the time, whats the big deal? To my knowledge, no one has died from me washing out my sewer hose. There are too many "germophobe people" in this world! Germs play a valuable role in life's evolution and life as we know it would not exist w/o germs, that's why you have a immune system.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2aktravelers View Post
Folks the potable water spigot IS NOT there to clean your stinky slinky, people use that water for drinking!Attachment 221722

Who made you ruler?
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our county health department requires bleach/water mix to be thrown out and remade every 24 hours. After that time it is no longer effective for sanitizing. Do those of you who use bleach do that?

I never pre-mix. I just figure out how much I need to add and pour it in.
RadioRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #12

I’ll chime in here just because. Does anybody have money in their pocket? Think about it.
Blueharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:10 AM   #13

OMG I can’t take this anymore. You just can’t fix stupid. You can’t. And you can’t talk to them or even show pictures of the stupidity and get anywhere.

This isn’t just about the water spigots. HELLO !!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s about rinsing their sewage lines in other people’s yards…..WHERE THEY LIVE !!!!!

Shame on you if you practice this. If you don't see the problem with this you are part of the problem.

Here's what they're thinking when they do this:
I don't want this nasty, stinky thing in my RV, so before I store it, I'm going to wash it here the best I can and I'm not going worry about all the unintended consequences, bacteria, smell and all the other nastiness that will affect other fellow RVer's.

It’s people like this in the picture, that just don’t have a clue on basic common cleaning habits, common sense, camp ground etiquette or even care about other people AT ALL. It's all about them.

And even after telling them that this practice—killed our little 9yr. old Yorkie, our best little guy ever—from multiple bacteria infections that this sewage created, it will go in one ear out the other and they’ll just argue with you with useless dribble.

Oh and let's not forget the beautiful, safe environment this practice not only creates for our pets but also for our children and grand children to play in. I have heard our grand children express many, many times on the way to a camp ground that they hope there has been a fresh sewer water dump in the grass right before we get there. They just love playing in there with their toys.

Respect for others and common sense today is such a rare, rare human quality. It's quite scary honestly. I wonder if those that condone and practice this nastiness, if they’d mind the next time I’m doing some long term boon docking in their area, if I can swing by their house and rinse out my sewer/toilet hoses in their front yard for a couple of years? I mean what could it hurt?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Why don’t the ones that think this is an acceptable practice screw THEIR drinking water hose on to the campground water spigot and then rinse their stinky slinky. At least this might keep it more sanitary for the rest of us at the tap connection. What.....you don’t want to do that with your hose?

Why do you think that at public dump stations they post that the water at the dump site is not potable and that potable water is available 50’ further forward where you can’t reach it with your stinky slinky?

Can’t teach common sense or fix stupid.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote