Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 06:52 AM   #43

I think the State Farm agent gave the OP bad advice or the OP actually didn't want to file a claim. I pay my insurance agent, to figure this stuff out for me.

Now that all of this time has passed he still may be filing a claim, contacting lawyers and going back and forth with "BIG" business, instead of using his MH.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 07:33 AM   #44

After bashing cw on the internet you may want to have the coach repaired elsewhere. Sometimes it's better to shame the company after your coach is repaired.

It seems that you may have jumped the gun in dissing cw to the world because it appears a little fuzzy on which insurance company is on the hook for repairs.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:00 AM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're all assuming that the CW people (in giving bad info early on) were just ill-informed and innocent. Wrong in the info they gave, but relatively innocent.

Unfortunately, whether they meant to or not, they bought time so that the cause of the fire could not be investigated by OP's lawyer, insurance company, etc.

The question is: Do we really believe innocence is the culprit? Maybe an underling, sure, but management not responding? I'm not so sure.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:11 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have some questions:

Does the OP know what was the cause of the fire? He said it was in CW's yard. Is this a locked and secured yard? How many RVs fit in it? Are there closed circuit cameras scanning the yard? Is it easily accessible for an arsonist?

Is the yard's electrical system well-maintained?

How long did it take before the fire department was notified?

Did the fire originate from one of the other RVs in the yard? If so, what is the procedure that CW follows when taking possession of an RV? Do they inspect it to make sure the propane and systems are shut off? (If not, there may be negligence if the fire originated from someone else's RV and the propane and systems weren't shut off.)

Did the fire originate from a tank or any equipment belonging to CW? Were they left on or even have a leak?

Were there oily rags improperly left out to ignite?

We can probably give the OP a better opinion if we knew more about this.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #47

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This reminds me of why I never sign up for car rental insurance when renting a vehicle. My own auto insurance covers me while driving a rented vehicle. I'm sure if I paid for the auto rental insurance (nothing but a profit maker for the rental agency) and that if I were involved in an accident while driving a rented vehicle, I would be told to file a claim with my own insurance. Don't mean to steal this thread. But that's how insurance works, the more companies involved, the more finger pointing happens. Let your insurance company figure it out.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
wordsofgodspe please post followups as you progress.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Thumbs up Let your insurance company do the work.

This is why I carry insurance and always go through my insurance company. Let them do the work and litigation. That is what I pay them for. To protect me, regardless who is at fault. On the other hand There is such a thing called CARE, CUSTODY, and CONTROL. Who had the care of the vehicle, who had custody at the time of the fire, and last who had control of the vehicle. It is up to your insurance company to determine these things.
Mel
Old 08-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Whaz wid da grama polece?I con reed it fin and dandee.
Good one. LOL I read it just fine also. I would contact a lawyer then go from there. Keep your insurance out of it if you can. Sounds like CW is protecting their own butt and hanging you out to dry. Now if you need to have your insurance company do the repairs, what will happen is they will go after CW to compensate them for the money they are out but your insurance premiums will increase. I would also go have a sit down with your agent. (My wife worked as an agent for Allstate Ins. broker for 40 years.) Good luck.

Update: My wife (the retired insurance agent) says to file a claim with your insurance company and let them fight it out with CWs insurance. She states that is what should have been done in the first place. You should get your deductible back when the first money changes hands and that insurance companies can't raise your rates for comprehensive claims and this would be a comp claim. Don't waste anymore time, tomorrow is Monday call you agent first thing.
P.S. CW is owned by Good Sam insurance company.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
How can anyone read that post that has no paragraphs or any other formatting? I can't!

Good Luck!
Wil
Just scroll lol and get over it
Old 08-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Something else to keep in mind. You are fighting CW's insurance company, not CW. It is likely CW has no control over any of this. The local CW dealer is not raking in millions, where he can afford to just make a payout. When CW tried to process the claim, no doubt their insurance denied it, based on the contract you signed. CW's insurance was probably involved in the origination of the fine print on your contract for service. That statement is there to protect the insurance company, not CW. Not trying to stand up for CW, but just stating what you are dealing with.

Yep. Insurance personnel probably told the dealership personnel to shut up and quit talking out of school. No different than your carrier of (whatever insurance) will always tell you as the policy owner not to admit or promise or discuss anything with other parties other than who you are and who your carrier is. Same deal here.

Additionally, I think I saw in the OP's ocean of words a little island objecting to paying his deductible and/or worrying about impact to premiums. If OP hasn't already, he will quickly learn that engaging an attorney personally to pursue this will far outstrip any deductible, in very very short order.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #53

amen
Old 08-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #54

Don't Do Business with Camping World

For those who have had a hard time reading this post, that was not the intention. I have tried to shorten the space on the by not making separate paragraphs. For those that don't understand that there is a policy that is sold in Illinois and many other state's called *"Garage Keeper's Lease Insurance" (which this Camping World) that covers such damage of their customer's property when on the establishments property. The problem is that they will not disclose the pariculars of that policy. This is also much different than for accidents between two vehicles involved in a motor vehicle accident while in operation, *not being stationary on a repair facility's property in the normal course of business.*
Old 08-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #55

Don't Do Business with Camping World

Now my State Farm Insurance Agent was more than willing to file a claim, but was wondering why Camping World wasn't taking care of this and standing behind their customer's because they do have the same kind of liability protection insurance that State Farm sells to their business clients that do this type of work. They said that there was no excuse for them not doing their ethical obligation.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #56

Sorry this happened to you, but your best course of action is to get your RV repaired and back on the road so you can enjoy it as soon as possible. Yes, you do need to get an attorney involved, in a sense, that what buying insurance does, it puts the insurance companies attorney's on "retainer".

The attorney's job is to make sure the insurance company makes as much money as possible, and pays the fewest claims they have to. That goes for CW's attorney's as much as for your insurance companies attorneys. Your insurance, provided you have comprehensive insurance, will have to repair your coach. And in order to try and recoup the cost of the repair, they will go after CW. If successful, they will refund your deductible.

Hiring an attorney on your own is senseless, unless you intend on going after loss of use, pain and suffering, loss of value and the like. I know it sucks, and goes against the grain, but get you coach repaired through your insurance company, get back RV'ing, and put it behind you.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping