Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #1

Door Locks

Had 3 RV's broken into at the local (secure) storage facility, mine was one, no sign of forced entry on any of them. Most likely the perp had a master key?! Anyone know of a lock that can replace the dead bolt and or the door lock with a different type of lock? Re-keying the existing locks will not stop a master key. Thanks.
franknslots is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #2

Mine has been hit twice. First time they just smashed the door window. Second time they tried to force the lock and destroyed it. First time they got the tv's, second time the cops interrupted them. My point is, a better door lock isn't worth it. It's too easy to break or force a sliding window to get in. I've actually considered not locking the door to avoid damage since they will get in anyway.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
Door Locks

Are you sure it was not an inside job? Do they have your key? Did you lock both the dead bolt and the standard lock? ... Sounds like you may want to look for another "more secure" facility, with cameras, etc. You may even want to consider those regardless (inside and outside your coach).

Regardless, I hope they never did much damage and that insurance covered what they did do...

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknslots View Post
Had 3 RV's broken into at the local (secure) storage facility, mine was one, no sign of forced entry on any of them. Most likely the perp had a master key?! Anyone know of a lock that can replace the dead bolt and or the door lock with a different type of lock? Re-keying the existing locks will not stop a master key. Thanks.
I always hate to hear this. I had a TT broken in to at storage facility a few years back. Butsed the lok on the door. All they took was a cheap AM FM CD radio but trashed the trailer. I am thinking about putting an envelope with a $100 bill in it at the door with a note. Here take this and be on your way and save yourself a lot of work.

Did your storage had a history of break ins.

The storage lot I have now has high fences and a lot of cameras and lights. Also this is the only good RV boat storage around the 3 smaller towns in the area and the a lot of the guys on the police force have their boats an RV stored here. They are in and out all the time. So I think that helps.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknslots View Post
Actually I am not sure what you are calling a master key. I have rental houses and all of my locks are keyed to one master key and a second renter key with different renter keys for each house. It is possible I guess that a master key has been keyed for each model of bus with the door key as a second individual key. If that is the case rekeying will stop the master key from opening the door. To the best of my knowledge which is limited there is no such thing as a master key. There are tools that will open any lock and having access to them is illegal unless you are a certified lock smith. More than likely someone just picked the lock which is not that hard to do and any lock will have that problem.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine was broken into in a storage place too.

You should be glad that they had a key. Busted my door window and cut the screen door. Cost more to fix that than what they stole.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Had a TriMark door key for our 2013. Campsite neighbor had problem, door locked, keys inside. For laughs, tried my door key in hos lock. Opened right up. His door lock did not say TriMark! As there were a few other campers assisting him, I tried my key on their MH, and opened up two other locks???
Old 08-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re keying will indeed stop a master key,, however there are often other ways to get in to a motor home.

When you Re-key make sure you specify you wish NO MASTER KEY, have the job done by a pro.....

Option that might work on SOME RV's (Depends on thickness of door and some other things)

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...XkIngaIxJY2BRA

NOTE: Item is linked to only as an example.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
Had a TriMark door key for our 2013. Campsite neighbor had problem, door locked, keys inside. For laughs, tried my door key in hos lock. Opened right up. His door lock did not say TriMark! As there were a few other campers assisting him, I tried my key on their MH, and opened up two other locks???

How many different key configurations do you think are possible? If you want strong key security, you have to spend for high end locks, and manufacturers don't do that. Manufacturers rely on two things: 1) most people are honest, and 2) the fairly low likelihood that two random keys will match.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
All locks, doesn't matter what they are for have only one function and that is they keep honest people honest. If someone wants to get into your rv, home, shop, etc, they will find a way to do it. I am sorry your rig got broken into. Our house got broken into several years my wife and I never felt so violated in our lives as we did then. It is truly a scary thing to have happen to you.

Jerry
Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #11

I put alarm stickers on the windows and a fake push button alarm pad on mine next to the entry door on my last coach and this one,so far so good!
I think if it puts a doubt in their mind,maybe they will move on to the next one.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
If I recall correctly, the deadbolt lock is the lock that can be opened by a master key, which every dealership has. The passage lock is the lock that only you can open. That said, the deadbolt is a POS and would take no time to get into with a screw driver or pry bar. But I agree with previous posts that if a toad wants to get into your rig or house, he will find a way. Everyday locks are only there to keep honest people out.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It pains me to see these stories. You can get your stuff replaced but somehow feel violated. Our is in the shop now for repairs and I don't think their lot is even fenced all the way around. It is out in the country though.

A neighbor at a CG locked his keys in his Airstream so he called the CG office. An employee came by with a bucket full of keys to RVs in their storage yard. He said "so and so" has an Airstream let's try his key first. Bingo, first try.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #14

Are you aware that your compartment doors can be unlocked with a compartment door key from most like RVs, (as well as the compartment door key of many other brands of RVs).
Next time you are in a campground try to lock or unlock the compartments of some of the other RVs...(you will be surprised how many your key works on).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door