Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #1

Door Strut Spring Rate

Want to replace the basement door struts that swing sideways, not up. The spring rate is 10 psi, but as is that feels like no resistance and I'm concerned with unsuspecting users, or a gust of wind when opening to put stress on the system as it slams to it's furthest opening.

Has anyone gone to say a 15 psi strut, and was the difference noticeable enough to control the opening or closing, or did it mess up the way it should work and make it too difficult to open or close?
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You might try to find an auto parts store or other local outlets that has struts in stock and a return policy. That would allow experimentation with stronger struts at little or no cost.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My basement doors have gas struts that are 50 lbs force each (two struts for top hinge doors and one strut for side hinge doors).

Looking at suppliers website for gas struts, it looks like the majority (for motorhomes) are over 50 lbs, with many at 80, 90 and 100 lbs. https://www.makariosrv.com/gas-springs-gas-struts/

I do see some rated at 10 and 15 lbs though.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #4

Have I stumped the IRV2 crowd?
Old 07-30-2018, 05:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
Want to replace the basement door struts that swing sideways, not up. The spring rate is 10 psi, but as is that feels like no resistance and I'm concerned with unsuspecting users, or a gust of wind when opening to put stress on the system as it slams to it's furthest opening.

Has anyone gone to say a 15 psi strut, and was the difference noticeable enough to control the opening or closing, or did it mess up the way it should work and make it too difficult to open or close?
If they are original struts, they seem to loose their strength over the years. I replace a couple last year with exact same strength as listed on the old struts and they work like new.

I'd be reluctant to upsize the strength too much from original, especially if they are all the same on all the doors.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:55 PM   #6

Thank you all. I found Hatchlift and they recommended just going with the 15# model. Will report the difference when I get them.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #7

Just installed the 15# Hatchlift struts. What I like is the sideswing doors close on their own once I push the door past the midway point with just the right amount of force. Opening however needs to be controlled. They want to spring to the end of their throw.

Tags
door