Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2022, 06:06 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 144
Dos and Don't on an Upcoming 99-05 DP Purchase?

I'm looking to full time for a couple years, there will be three of us in total. I will be pulling a 14x7 enclosed aluminum trailer that has a full sized washer/dryer, chest freezer, tools and additional supplies and well as things related to our businesses. We will have our Toyota Tacoma as well, it's driving along with us versus being towed. This should give you some idea for reference.



I'm 47 and very mechanically incline
My kids are early 20s and very easy going.


We're all basically looking for a new place to settle in and figure it will take us some time to feel that out so we're turning it into an adventure. I may continue to make this my lifestyle half the year at that point and would downsize accordingly.



I've been watching the markets closely, checking new listings daily and so on. I'm pretty confident that $30-$35 buys me nearly any 1999 to 2005 Diesel Pusher I could want. I currently have 10 tabs open for local sales posted between 3 and 50 days ago on Craigslist and the only thing that seems to be moving is the prices.



Since that's a lot of cash to spend I'm wanting some advice on what to look for or look out for. I know the wisdom on that old of a unit is always maintenance and condition first so I'm shooting for 1-2 owner units with service history.


Outside of that I'm looking at:


Georgia Boy
Dutch Star
Safari
Renegade
Coachman


The list goes on, they have a wide range of miles from 18k to 130k and seem to mostly have a Cat or a Cummins here and there.



One of the only things I think I want is a side radiator just because I have a fully stocked toolbox and will likely be doing all of my own repairs short of an engine or trans swap.


Do you have any other tips, advice, things to avoid, years, models, systems, pitfalls I should lookout for?


I will add that I'll be fully solar as I boondock 95% of the time so I'll have 18kwh (I may upgrade that to 24) or battery storage and should be able to power myself without ever needing the generator.



Thank you all for any help you can think of.



PS Also, is there anything that I should look for that may be non detrimental but serve as a good bartering chip? Mild de-lamination (I'm guessing this is a bigger concern on some construction types than other), faded paint, fogged up windows and so on that wouldn't impact function but would help me find a better value?
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Odessa, Tx.
Posts: 737
[QUOTE=
I've been watching the markets closely, checking new listings daily and so on. I'm pretty confident that $30-$35 buys me nearly any 1999 to 2005 Diesel Pusher I could want. [/QUOTE]

I wish you well in your adventure but I think you are looking through Rose Colored Glasses. I have a Dutch Star so I occasionally watch those prices out of curiosity. 30-35k will get you a 99-00 DSDP. IMHO. YMMV
I could certainly be wrong (again)
__________________
John and Sue from W. Texas
2001 DSDP, 3126B Cat

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:07 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
DandyDon's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: PA,Mt or AZ
Posts: 399
I wish you well but 35k isn't going to buy my 05 Essex anytime soon, even with the market falling like a rock.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502
500 hp Cummins
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Toad
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:50 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
I wish you well in your adventure but I think you are looking through Rose Colored Glasses. I have a Dutch Star so I occasionally watch those prices out of curiosity. 30-35k will get you a 99-00 DSDP. IMHO. YMMV
I could certainly be wrong (again)



I am figuring I could likely get this one for $20k but this was just listed yesterday so I have no idea how quickly it will sell.



https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/r...501173011.html
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:33 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 16
Struggling to find any fault with a unit like that around that price, it seems to my newbie eyes like as safe a plan as is possible
Gelato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ & Plover, WI
Posts: 5,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
I am figuring I could likely get this one for $20k but this was just listed yesterday so I have no idea how quickly it will sell.



https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/r...501173011.html
What are you waiting for?? If it's a floor plan you like, drive it and check it out. It's a one owner and that is rare for a coach 22 years old. Paying $23,000 gives you a $10,000 reserve for future problems. If I was looking, it's worth a drive up for a look see. He who hesitates is lost.
__________________
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
2013 Avalanche
2000 AEV TJ
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:08 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 13
Things to look for

I just picked up my first diesel pusher. I got what I really wanted, which was a 8.3 Cummins. I'm a Cummins man. I expected to have to take a 5.9 but I got lucky I feel.

My suggestion is whatever you think your going to buy, get on that roof and walk around looking for soft spots. 20 years old your sure to have some water damage.

I have 3 soft spots on mine, and am debating on getting the roof redone at a price of 9k (FlexArmor) which is HUGE. Blows the good deal I got right out of the water but I will have no more roof issues. The problem is, the roof is just plywood so I should be able to find someone to strip mine and redo it for alot less.

My neck of the woods all the rv guys are booked, and this flexarmor guy is about 60 days out so I have 60 days to figure it out. Not sure which way I will go but I can tell you there are a lot of things to fix on a 20 year old RV.

Water fittings, refridge was broke, all the maint like tranny fluid 5 gallons, it will seriously nickle and dime you to the poor house. Good luck!

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/r...501173011.html This looks the exact same as mine, pretty much the same price and same mileage but is in better shape than mine. Expect to replace some tires no big deal you have money to work on it. I would be suprised if you found a better deal than that coach.
__________________
1999 Newmar Dutch Star Spartan Chassis
AirDog Fuel System
Cummins 8.3
HomeyClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:36 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
What are you waiting for?? If it's a floor plan you like, drive it and check it out. It's a one owner and that is rare for a coach 22 years old. Paying $23,000 gives you a $10,000 reserve for future problems. If I was looking, it's worth a drive up for a look see. He who hesitates is lost.

I have a little time and I'm honestly looking for a $40k unit for $30k right now, I'm fine with letting them sit for a bit, we'll see where the prices are after next months rate hikes when they see inflation hasn't dropped again.



I'm not being greedy, but time helps me on my end and the market end. I'm noticing if I even inquire about a unit the owners are calling me several times a day and I'm sensing some serious desperation. I would also prefer to have a seller come to me from a wanted listing if at all possible.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeyClown View Post
I just picked up my first diesel pusher. I got what I really wanted, which was a 8.3 Cummins. I'm a Cummins man. I expected to have to take a 5.9 but I got lucky I feel.

My suggestion is whatever you think your going to buy, get on that roof and walk around looking for soft spots. 20 years old your sure to have some water damage.

I have 3 soft spots on mine, and am debating on getting the roof redone at a price of 9k (FlexArmor) which is HUGE. Blows the good deal I got right out of the water but I will have no more roof issues. The problem is, the roof is just plywood so I should be able to find someone to strip mine and redo it for alot less.

My neck of the woods all the rv guys are booked, and this flexarmor guy is about 60 days out so I have 60 days to figure it out. Not sure which way I will go but I can tell you there are a lot of things to fix on a 20 year old RV.

Water fittings, refridge was broke, all the maint like tranny fluid 5 gallons, it will seriously nickle and dime you to the poor house. Good luck!

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/r...501173011.html This looks the exact same as mine, pretty much the same price and same mileage but is in better shape than mine. Expect to replace some tires no big deal you have money to work on it. I would be suprised if you found a better deal than that coach.

The roof I can do myself. Everything else I would prefer wasn't working, I'm going to have a 20kwh battery bank so I'll be pulling the gen set and everything propane in favor of electric anyway including a tankless electric hot water heater.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:35 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: N.E. Florida
Posts: 1,309
With the vintages that you listed, I would only consider rigs that were the flagship for their manufacturer.


While I am not objective, I would add American Eagle to your list.
__________________
DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:50 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 26,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
With the vintages that you listed, I would only consider rigs that were the flagship for their manufacturer.


While I am not objective, I would add American Eagle to your list.
For his requirements, initial build quality is very important.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:43 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
vito.a's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 5,881
Open your search up to nation wide. Search RVTrader.com, RVT.com, eBay, and the classified section on this forum. You'll find you can save $5-10k by looking in various markets.

The coaches in your price bracket are 20 years old so I would focus on higher end models. High end models will hold up much longer. I see only two coaches in your current list that I would consider owning.

Look at every coach you can. You will learn something from each one. Take notes and pictures. Split the duties up with your spouse. You take the outside and let her take the inside. Then swap.

Take your time. I'd allow up to one year to find the right coach.

Some quality manufacturers to look at: Country Coach, Monaco Coach, Holiday Rambler, Beaver Coach, Travel Supreme, American Coach. Newmar also makes a great coach but you will pay a large premium on the used market.

If you find a model you like, but it's priced out of your range consider dropping the model year back a couple of years.

You have the right idea on labor. You can save big by doing the work yourself. Any coach this age will needs lots of TLC.
Best of luck!
__________________
97 Monaco Windsor- Sold
07 Monaco Executive McKinley- Sold
04 Monaco Signature Chateau IV
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
purchase



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there an inexpensive scan tool for Cat that dos more than pull active codes? CountryB Caterpillar Engine Forum 1 09-30-2021 06:37 PM
Free parking dos? Kbwitt Class A Motorhome Discussions 93 04-05-2020 04:14 PM
Getting "cold feet" about upcoming Tiffin Phaeton purchase dmcquinn Tiffin Owner's Forum 30 08-25-2014 07:20 PM
i hope this dos not take off ..become a new thing terry735001 Just Conversation 4 07-16-2014 08:48 PM
Fall Rally To Dos ParTheCourse Northeast Region 7 09-26-2005 12:20 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.