Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
DOT Safety Inspection??

We bought our 40'DP last year about this time and I just got it smog checked in prep for re-registeration. The nice lady at the somg check place asked if I needed a "DOT Safety Inspection". I said I have a valid Utah Safety Inspection, do I need a DOT safety inspection? She hummed and hawwed so I thought I'd ask this wise forum. How many of you have both a state and federal safety inspection on your rig? Mine grosses at 32K.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #2

Personal use DOT not required commercial use only

have a good day Missey
missey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #3

I agree with missey. A "DOT inspection" refers to the inspections that commercial vehicles must pass in accordance to the FMCSA (the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, a federal agency) regulations. RVs used exclusively for pleasure are not subject to DOT inspections.

ETA: I believe most states do not even require safety inspections for RVs. Last I read, only about 20 states require some type of inspection for recreational vehicles.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #4

I wanted a general all systems "safety check" to be done on our 2002 Expedition before we head south for the winter. Our regular maintenance shop doesn't have this on their service list, but they DID say they could do the DOT inspection for $100 which should do the job. So, not required in NC (but the annual Safety inspection IS) but a reasonable expense for me.
ellisda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:01 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by missey View Post
Personal use DOT not required commercial use only

have a good day Missey
I will join this chorus.. DOT Might be needed for the trip from the manufacturer to dealer via paid driver.. But even then it is questionable. Once you the USER take possession DOT no longer has jurisdiction.

EXCEPTION: If you slap a "For Hire" or "For Rent" sticker on it.

Even teh Trail-Hauler line of semi tractors are not subject to DOT inspection since they bear the legent NOT FOR HIRE, RV USE ONLY.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:13 AM   #6

Not required for personal use, however it is a good inspection to have when purchasing a used MH. We had the local Freightliner place do a DOT inspection, their bays were full, which was a bonus since they did the inspection in the parking lot, allowing me to crawl around under the coach with the inspector. Took a little over an hour, cost under $150, also pulled the codes on the engine etc. He was able to answer my questions at the same time. Well worth the money. He caught a few things like v-belts needed replacing, Desiccant dryer, seep on hyd pump jack pad.

Please understand that the Chassis inspection is not a Coach inspection! The Chassis and Coach are two separate inspections. That needs to be done by itself, either by a qualified inspector, or by the perspective buyer if they have the knowledge and feel comfortable doing it.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Missouri is one state that requires a DMV (not DOT) inspection on all vehicles. It is a basic mechanical inspection. The cost is minimal at $12.00. The idea is to make sure vehicle is in sound mechanical shape.
It can be a pain, but also gives you peace of mind.

Inspection includes:
Lights (headlights, running, clip, blinkers, brake lights and high beam indicator)
Brakes.
Shocks, suspension and tires.
Steering components.
Exhaust system.
Glass and mirrors.

Inspections have found a bad Bell-Crank on our old RV and an exhaust leak on our TOAD.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
That's what I thought. Nothing I need, and I'm a good mechanic, I can do my own inspection. We do have bi-annual safety inspections, and mine was done by the dealer last year. Since it was done by someone with the integrity of a used car salesman, I did one myself, and paid Allison to do the drivetrain and chassis.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety