Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 05:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDandGREY View Post
Check for a bee/wasp net in your air intake, they may have built something and moved on
This was one of my first thoughts but this time of year they will probably be raising babies. If you drove a few miles and the brakes weren't smoking they probably aren't seized You did have a smell so if you don't know the difference between brake lining and rubber burning smell you might mistake one for the other. In your case the mobile tech sounds like a good idea, watch and learn, you will probably get you money's worth in education. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 05:52 PM   #30

and the solution is in! drumroll please.....

Cold air intake clamp blew up and was disconnected - computer showed an intake code - took him 5 mins to see it... Arghh - i totally could have seen it if i had just looked all around the engine... you can see it if you look straight up from the far passenger side corner....

i have to actually go get and install the clamp - he didnt have the right one - the tech was pretty much amazing though and gave me a TON of info - it was largely spending money on some consulting! its going to be an expensive bill for something so simple, but i learned a TON!

hopefully this helps the next person using the search function!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3844.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	327263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3842.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	327264  

Old 05-04-2021, 07:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbward View Post
and the solution is in! drumroll please.....

Cold air intake clamp blew up and was disconnected - computer showed an intake code - took him 5 mins to see it... Arghh - i totally could have seen it if i had just looked all around the engine... you can see it if you look straight up from the far passenger side corner....

i have to actually go get and install the clamp - he didnt have the right one - the tech was pretty much amazing though and gave me a TON of info - it was largely spending money on some consulting! its going to be an expensive bill for something so simple, but i learned a TON!

hopefully this helps the next person using the search function!
The Cost of education is always expensive, but WORTH it in the long run. LOL
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #32

Cummins

I would have your engine sensors checked, I had a cummins 260 which was running in limp mode (15 mph up hill) and turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor. Just a thought!
weird109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #33

Quote:
So my new-to-me coach is way down on power after sitting a couple of weeks after our a successful trip. Pretty much can't get over 40 mph and takes forever to get there. The background info:

2018 Tiffin Phaeton - ~36k miles - 380 cummins diesel pusher

2 weeks ago took it over the colorado mountains and back, probably 600 miles or so round trip. Handled it like a champ, absolutely no issues.

I parked it in my back yard on rocks over dirt, we go some moisture and it ended sinking in to the ground a bit. I decided I had better move it and it wouldn't budge. weirdly, it felt like there was not power to get it unstuck - no wheel spin and wouldnt go over 1000 rpm. Got winched out - $500

Went to park it today and noticed it still didnt feel right. Did a quick test drive and found it was way down on power.... No warning lights, no indicators at all. Maybe smelled of burning rubber after the drive - not strong, but maybe....

So - I am sure I am not fixing this one - I just figured I would see if there are common things this could be. Is there any chance I escape this without it costing me thousands? Any guess on the likelihood of causing more damage limping in to a service center?

Just seeing if I have any chance of sleeping tonight....

Brian
We had the same experience with our Thor, but the solution was simple. My husband didn't fully release the parking brake. That burning rubber smell sounds like brakes - start there.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:54 PM   #34

repair

So glad it was something simple and very repairable. for the most part diesel engines are pretty simple and boils down to air and fuel. It really likes having both and if it runs, but low on power... its more often than not... restricted air or fuel. Those are the things that you can do and learn about. If those check out, then you find the checkbook. The DEF thing is a whole different ball of wax and I think for a 2018 they might have the bugs worked out, but I've managed to avoid that issue by buying an older rig.
JimWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:54 PM   #35

Well if he didn't milk it for a few hours to soak you, seems like you found pretty good/honest mobile tech, hope you got his card ect.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:47 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One of the unfortunate downsides of a DP, you can't hear engine trouble. I've told my kids, who like to ride in the back bedroom for some reason, to alert me if something doesn't sound "normal". Losing the cold air intake more than likely would have made a loud whooshing sound for sure.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:53 PM   #37

Test your DEF
Rick3390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:29 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwdnet View Post
We had the same experience with our Thor, but the solution was simple. My husband didn't fully release the parking brake. That burning rubber smell sounds like brakes - start there.
OP has a DP with air brakes. There is no partially releasing emergency air brakes. They are either on or not.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:35 PM   #39

If no heavy black smoke indicating poor mixture and possible blown hoses among turbo, CAC, and engine induction, may possibly be a fuel problem. Fuel filters should be changed annually and / or at 15,000 mi. If not done, you may consider at home fuel filter change-out of usually a pre-filter (water separator, 10 micron, usually remote mounted) and an on engine (usually) filter of 2 microns. The lift pump may be failing, and if so continued operation is not recommended since low output can cause failure of the main injection pump - testing the output pressure of the lift pump may be within your expertise. After those checks, further checks get pretty sophisticated.
dhschultz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:38 PM   #40

Quote:
So my new-to-me coach is way down on power after sitting a couple of weeks after our a successful trip. Pretty much can't get over 40 mph and takes forever to get there. The background info:

2018 Tiffin Phaeton - ~36k miles - 380 cummins diesel pusher

2 weeks ago took it over the colorado mountains and back, probably 600 miles or so round trip. Handled it like a champ, absolutely no issues.

I parked it in my back yard on rocks over dirt, we go some moisture and it ended sinking in to the ground a bit. I decided I had better move it and it wouldn't budge. weirdly, it felt like there was not power to get it unstuck - no wheel spin and wouldnt go over 1000 rpm. Got winched out - $500

Went to park it today and noticed it still didnt feel right. Did a quick test drive and found it was way down on power.... No warning lights, no indicators at all. Maybe smelled of burning rubber after the drive - not strong, but maybe....

So - I am sure I am not fixing this one - I just figured I would see if there are common things this could be. Is there any chance I escape this without it costing me thousands? Any guess on the likelihood of causing more damage limping in to a service center?

Just seeing if I have any chance of sleeping tonight....

Brian
Check for mud-daubber wasp nestings in intake or tailpipe areas. These LOVE those enclosed spaces. Otherwise, I got nothing.
mogul264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:42 PM   #41

Glad you got it fixed and it was relatively simple and comparatively inexpensive.

One thing not mentioned here is the use of an infrared thermometer. I use one on trips and when we stop for fuel or a break I will shoot the tires and hubs/ brake drums checking to see if any of the tires or hubs are materially different than the others. When you drove your RV a few miles it would have been a quick easy way to check if you had a brake dragging.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:16 PM   #42

Any chance it has a catalytic converter? I’ve had 2 different vehicles that had similar symptoms and it was catalytic converter.
DGP-Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power