Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 AM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy07 View Post
The cost of properly maintaining an RV is not that bad. The cost of repairing an RV especially a diesel pusher that has been under maintained is very expensive and the parts specific to RV's are pricey.
Or, if you buy one that has been maintained correctly and has an engineering defect that Cummins admits but won't stand behind.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 02:47 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had 2 gasser "A"s prior to this DP. Lack of any hill climbing ability in the V-10's was my main reason to get a diesel. Pulling a car was out of the question. My 1 more DP mpg, pulling a car, was a bonus, reducing my fuel bill. (which is a small part of our expenses)
To my wife it was the 100+ more amenities for her. (She won't drive this beast even with her Class B license).
But your 3rd RV 1st. I wasted $75k+ not doing this.
We put on about 7500 miles per year. That is ONLY 2% of our time, traveling. Having a really nice "mobile home" (ie. luxury) to come home to is much more important.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:18 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I have yet to see any truth to this statement, nor have I ever seen any documents that indicate this is fact. As such, and from personal experience, I just don't think this is true.

Typically, the mpg will vary due to hp/weight ratio, speed, wind, traffic, and of course, driving habits. My '13 Phaeton with the DEF equipped 400hp ISL Cummins has, so far, averaged a little over 8 mpg while pulling our 4000 lb GMC Terrain over the past 10,000 miles. Yes, I have dropped down to 6 or 7, but that is usually due to mountain grades or traffic condition. Out on the interstate at 62mph, I will average over 9.

Our previous coach was an 08 Safari Simba with the 330hp CAT C7 and over 35,000 miles, I "averaged" 8.6 mpg....again pulling our Terrain and our previous toad an 86 Toyota 4x4 pickup.

I really see very little (if any) difference in mpg between the two drastically different motor homes. However, since most of the other causes mentioned above have been fairly constant, I can only surmise that the smog control devices have had little or no effect on mpg.

As far as the difference between the Bus and Phaeton, only you would be able to justify the difference. We looked at the Bus and decided on the Phaeton as we could get "almost" the same accessories on the Phaeton but a couple of feet shorter which only really resulted in a larger closet at the end. The Bus has a little more "Bling" to it, but I just couldn't see the difference in $$. We spend 5 months of the year living in our LH and the only thing I wish it had would be the heated floors....those tiles can get really cold in the mornings. However, the newer Phaetons not only have the heated floors now, it also has the same engine as the Bus.

Compare the written specifications between the two and see if the difference is worth the $$ to you.

Ron
I am in the trucking business. Fuel mileage has dropped slightly, then improved slightly. Not enough for MH owners to worry about.

However, as another mentioned, it is the complexity and Unreliability of the new emissions systems that is the problem.

Our newer trucks have LOTS of emissions problems. The shops have a hard time fixing them. They are an expensive pain in the rear.

The MH engines are the same engines. They have the same emissions systems. Personally, I would go 2003 or earlier. You then get PRE most of the troublesome emissions requirements.

Go to a high end coach, pre 2003.

Prevost. Bluebird Wanderlodge. Newell.

You will get quality of built that is head and shoulders above the newer regular RV's, at a reduced price!
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:57 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
We average 8.1 mpg pulling a Ford Edge, that is heavily loaded with "stuff". Our travels average 5 to 8 months yearly. The amenities and comfort far outweigh the differences in cost. Someone mentioned something like buy your last coach first. We didn't and it cost thousands out of pocket. Truly,! Buy your comfort zone, floor plan and if feasible get a coach with a tag axle you'll never regret your decesion.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote