Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2019, 02:36 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I'm not sure how many miles most put on their coach but assuming 5000 miles per year at 8 miles to the gallon, paying extra for a tuck stop like Pilot at $.30 a gallon. This equates to $187.50 per year. In my opinion worth every penny to have an easy entrance, exit. The wife also has an app that allows us most of the time to pay with it and never go into the store.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
Oh please...what a load of nonsense. I’ve been fueling at Flying J and Pilot truck stops for years and have NEVER stood “...in a puddle of diesel...”

If you don’t want to fuel at a truck stop, that’s your decision. But don’t try to paint a totally false picture of the truck stop experience, when it is obviously something you know nothing about.

If I’ve ever stood in a puddle of diesel it’s because I’m the dummy that wasn’t paying attention and let it splash out on me. [emoji849]
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #59

I was sorry to hear that fuel stops were so stressful for you. I looked forward to them. Never stopped at anything but truck stops (Flying J, Love's, Pilot). Always lots of room to manoeuvre and I chatted with the big rig drivers. Going in to pay was no biggie.
paaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #60

Option

There is a free app called Mud Finder. It is for people that ride off-road, etc. They have a services section. They are starting to add fuel stations that accommodate large vehicles. You can also add them too. They give away a lot of stuff too for those that add places. You go to services, not Locations.
Quiggley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #61

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I could try to save $10. and do a $1000.++ worth of damage to the coach.
I totally agree. Trying to squeeze into a tight spot to save a dime a gallon could cost you thousands.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
We are noticing more "national brand" stations (not Loves or Flying J) are putting in RV lanes and advertising it on their signs. Hopefully this is a trend that will continue.
i don’t understand. most Flying J’s HAVE RV lanes.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:09 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
which app is that?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am a 36 DP and pull 26 ft trailer. So glad you all go to the big boy pumps and leave more room for me at the Save a lot pumps. If I can "and do" save $26 bucks on a fill up at Murphys I will. Don't really understand what all the problem is with learning how to transverse a Walmart parking lot. I look at this way. If the Big rig can enter the station to fill the tanks so can I and if the walmart big rig can deliver to the store I can get there too.

Practice makes perfect. Backing up is an art and if you do not practice you will never do.. Now we will be only pulling a four down jeep and it goes where I pull it a whole lot easier than the big trailer. I hate those big truck stops.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #65

If you travel along I75 in Florida, my favorite place is the Shell truck stop on Hwy 326. They have credit card readers on some of the pumps and I like to use the gift cards that I get from Publix which equate to a 20% discount and an added measure of safety against skimmers. They have lots of room and it is right off of the interstate. Just don't confuse the normal car pumps in the front of the station with the truck pumps in the back. Drive around to the back or you will wonder what the heck I am talking about. Having a Dairy Queen doesn't hurt my love for them, either.....
New to this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #66

Check out "Next Exit", an invaluable resource, particularly until you establish your favorites.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Latte View Post
I don't know about anyone else but, one of the most stressful parts of my trips is stopping to fuel up. This is particularly compounded by having my car in tow and being unable to back up. I spend a lot of time checking out diesel pumps that I can't fit into, can't drive through, or can't access. Truck stops don't always work because you can't use your credit card at the pump at many. About the only place I have found that accommodates Rvs is Flying J. But they're not always nearby. So I've decided to share whenever I find a good place for Rvs. Driving home from Florida, I spotted a sign on I95 north at exit 13 near Emporia, VA. It read, "RV Diesel". Could it be? Someone thinks that rvs deserve some consideration? I pulled off, followed the signs to discover it was true! A fuel station with 3 easy in/easy out pumps for any size rv! I just had to pass it on. It's rightly called Slip-In.

Maybe we should start compiling a list of such unique stops so those of us who feel the same way I do will be less stressed out.
We have noticed more and more rv pumps being advertised. But because fuel is so much less if paid with cash, we use cash. I have a zipper plastic envelope that I keep with several hundred in for this purpose. It is definitely stressful when towing and you can't reverse.
But I thought I'd add a couple of easy in/out locations for you as you are driving through south Ga.
Exit 22, the is a Citco that's super easy.
Exit 82, Ashburn. A Flash store/station.
Vicky H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I'm not sure how many miles most put on their coach but assuming 5000 miles per year at 8 miles to the gallon, paying extra for a tuck stop like Pilot at $.30 a gallon. This equates to $187.50 per year. In my opinion worth every penny to have an easy entrance, exit. The wife also has an app that allows us most of the time to pay with it and never go into the store.
I agree.
And areas like rt. 127 south of Danville have some Marathon and Shell stations that are great for access and most always the lowest prices in the tri state area.
Running the interstates its Pilotfj, loves for us.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #69

We usually stop for fuel at the end of the day and have found big savings by avoiding truck stops. Gas Buddy has a wonderful app that allows you to search for the lowest fuel prices in your area. If you select directions it will give you an option to select Steps & more at the end of those directions it will usually give you a street view of the station, in most cases you can tell if you can maneuver an RV in and out. Thankfully discovered this after a few stressful fuel stops with a 40' Class A and tow vehicle. Diesel prices were $3.00+at the truck stops and $2.60 - $2.80 just off the highway.
dollydeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #70

Alpine Owners Club
We had a dear friend who put millions and millions of miles on his class 8 trucks. In his sixty plus years of driving (17-83) he never skimped on fuel. He used Pilot/Flying J religiously....no not all 66 years. NEVER had a fuel injector or a fuel filter go bad from fuel. When we bought our Alpine in 2004, he told us the same.

Flying J, Pilot and Loves are my stops unless I have planned poorly. I only use the truck islands and always walk in, give them RV discount card, then use my 1.5% or 5% rebate credit card.
We do plan our fuel stops on long trips to take advantage of state tax differences.
Now I'm gonna knock on some wood.

Tags
fuel