Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
How about the actual operating/driving differences? I know to expect the maintenance to be much higher than a gasser, but what has to be maintained that is different from a gas rig?
Most of the maintenance items are the same for gas and diesel engines. Both have coolant, oil, battery, transmission systems, etc. The major difference is my old Itasca used 8 quarts of oil, where Cummins engine uses about 5 gallons. The fuel filter on a gas rig does not have to be changed out often, but the diesel fuel filters (there are two of them, filter and a water separator) need to be changed with every service. Cost for the oil filter and the two fuel filters ran about $90 last time I bought spares. The last complete Freightliner service with lube, oil change and filters was about $450. The air filter is supposed to be changed every two years (or sooner in dusty conditions) and runs about $135.

With all that, I don't think I would go back to a gas rig. The ride is much better, though not silky smooth like a tag bus, but still a lot better than the Itasca. This one doesn't climb the hills any better than the Workhorse, it just does it much smoother and quieter. The FL chassis is a pleasure to drive with minimal input on the steering, where the Workhorse required constant tweaking. Diesel fuel mileage is better at an average of 8.5mpg versus 6.0 in the Itasca towing the same Jeep.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well i also left out ism and various permutations of isx, but it didn't sound like the op was inquiring about the newer power plants. And c12/c15 are not rv primemovers.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Dave really a nice job explaining the differences and taking the time yo do it. Regards
Old 12-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
How about the actual operating/driving differences?

I know to expect the maintenance to be much higher than a gasser, but what has to be maintained that is different from a gas rig?
I have not experienced maint. costs that are greater than a gasser would cost so far. Oil changes are more expensive but not as often. An oil change in my truck costs about 100.00 for synthetic every 3 months. Yes I could stretch synthetic longer I don't. I change the oil in my DP every 12 months or 12K miles as recommended by the manufacturer. It costs around 400 or less. Everything in the house is higher quality, normally. Costs the same to fix a refer ect... Air suspension might be more expensive to fix in a DP but it doesn't break. I probably do spend a couple hundred more a year on maint. but that is peanuts.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
Well i also left out ism and various permutations of isx, but it didn't sound like the op was inquiring about the newer power plants. And c12/c15 are not rv primemovers.
The "prime mover" in my RV and thousands more are CAT C-12 through C-15's. Cat got out of the RV/OTR business in 08 or 09 or thereabouts.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:10 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
I wasnt aware that there were many with the larger cats. But if you say so.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:06 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You are forgetting the CAT C-12 (12 Liter), 13 and 15. The C-12 is 1550 torque and they go up from there.
And for Cummins, the ISM (11 liter) and ISX (12 & 15 liters) engines.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
And for Cummins, the ISM (11 liter) and ISX (12 & 15 liters) engines.
See post #16.

Now, the DD and maxforce guys feel neglected....
Old 12-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #23

Quote:
How about the actual operating/driving differences?

I know to expect the maintenance to be much higher than a gasser, but what has to be maintained that is different from a gas rig?

I have had both gasoline V=10 Ford engine and Caterpillar diesel pusher. The actually had more maintenance on the gasoline engine with spark plugs, wires, etc etc.

The Cat engine all I do is change the oil once a year and filter. Plus a diesel you can drive it five times further in miles then any gasoline engine before it needs an overhaul.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvadventure View Post
Dave really a nice job explaining the differences and taking the time yo do it. Regards
Ditto that. Awesome job.
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, David that helps me out too!! Thank you very much for all of that info! We are wanting to upgrade to a diesel pusher. My wife is wanting one with a bath and a half and I want at least 3 slides. I can't wait to get a diesel pusher!! Thanks everyone for all this info!!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #26

Regarding the chassis inspection, I worked on these things (gas mostly) for 20 years and STILL didn't trust myself to pass judgement on our DP purchase until I had a pro go over the chassis....

I just don't trust my luck when it comes to this kind of money.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #27

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
Wow, David that helps me out too!! Thank you very much for all of that info! We are wanting to upgrade to a diesel pusher. My wife is wanting one with a bath and a half and I want at least 3 slides. I can't wait to get a diesel pusher!! Thanks everyone for all this info!!
You might want to take a strong look at what we bought recently and described below. This coach was built on the American platform that Fleetwood owned at the time and even though, the American name doesn't appear on it anywhere.
I'd also stick with the LE models of 05, 06, or 07 and especially if you should want a CAT C9 and don't want any of the later pollution junk that was added on to other over the road engines, after CAT bowed out, altogether. One certainly doesn't have to buy and add DEF with these models, either. There are plenty around to chose from, that look like new and hardly broke in, for quite a savings in a quality built coach, that uses the Spartan chassis.
All this IMHO of course, but also not like we bought this particular model on a whim, either and did spend a lot of research time prior, for what I think is the one of the best bangs for the buck.
Now again with having said all of this, none on the planet are without issues and just in case you think there is such an animal out there....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:30 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tropi Cal 36. Thanks for the info, we have actually looked at a Revolution but, it didn't have the bath and a half. I wanted to take it for a test drive but, they were about to close and the DW wasn't liking it. I thought it was a really nice rig tho!
Thanks again for the info! !

Tags
motorhome