Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2020, 08:42 PM   #197

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Last summer I picked up my first diesel rv in Phoenix. I was shocked that they didn't carefully vacuum the dust off the cannister before they opened it to install the new air filter. They said it's fine. Was it? So far so good.
Dust on the outside of the filter can doesn't matter. What does, is if they took a damp cloth and wiped out the ducting towards the engine, before they installed the new filter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #198

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OP Update

This is Nick, the OP.

I just came back from an RV Rally where I had the chance to pick the brains of a Cummins Rep and talk to some folks in the maintenance industry. Here are my take-aways:

1. Replace your Fuel Filters often. There is no harm in changing these out more frequently than necessary (at least once a year). The more used a fuel filter gets, the less efficient it is in keeping bad stuff out of your fuel.

2. Your air filter does not need to be changed annually. In fact, the consensus (and several here posted) is that there is a greater risk of damage to the engine each time you remove the air filter to replace or examine (as dust and dirt have the opportunity to enter your engine during this process). Use your gauge and monitor the life of your filter. For my own piece of mind, I will replace every 2-3 years.

I thought I was asking a simple question....I did not expect 15 pages of comments (and they keep rolling in). Thanks again for everyone who responded!!!
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
I have a 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus, with 425 Cummins ISL on a Spartan Chassis.

At a recent event, Spartan was on site, and told me very sternly that I should replace my Air Filter every year. They said it is a paper air filter inside the metal tube, and that moisture from rain and humidity will severely impact the life expectancy. So, regardless of the miles or usage, change out my Air Filter every year as part of the annual maintenance.

So, how often do you change your Air Filter?

Do you buy an OEM Air Filter? Is WIX, Fram or Rayco an acceptable substitute?

My unit uses a Spartan #0420-HH2 Filter
I use the Donaldson Eco-Lite filter and replace it annually as per manufacturers recommendation; wouldn't be good to have degrading filter materials sucked into the intake of that very expensive diesel.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
At a recent event, Spartan was on site, and told me very sternly that I should replace my Air Filter every year. They said it is a paper air filter inside the metal tube, and that moisture from rain and humidity will severely impact the life expectancy. So, regardless of the miles or usage, change out my Air Filter every year as part of the annual maintenance.
I toss out the red flag on that advice.

That's classic overkill - how does Spartan know how much "moisture from rain and humidity" any given air filter is going to be subjected to?
The obvious answer is, they don't. They just give that shotgun answer to cover all the bases. My motorhome that stays inside its enclosed metal building most of the time isn't going to be exposed to anything close to the motorhome outside fulltime in a rainy location in the country.

Some common sense needs to be brought to bear at some point, IMO.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:07 AM   #201

There is no "one size fits all" answer to this question.
The answers are neither right or wrong. The answers are simply interesting information as we share the different ways we use our rigs, where we travel and the environments we subject them to.

It's like asking how often you replace the tires on your car. Simple sarcastic answer is "when they are worn out".

Naturally, when pressed for a simple answer, a manufacturer's rep will err on the safe side.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:07 AM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by fottip View Post
I toss out the red flag on that advice.
Some common sense needs to be brought to bear at some point, IMO.
Much more economically feasible to buy and install a reusable air filter. Several companies make them, K&N is an example. The secret to using these successfully is learning the proper way to care for them.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #203

I'll just chime in on the K&N argument....

Not anecdotal...back in the day, I was a member of a forum called "thedieselstop". Lots of info regarding dusted motors from the use of K&N. Ignoring the warnings, I purchased one for my F350 Powerstroke. I had been using K&N's in my Mustang Cobras and wanted to do the same in my truck. As I always do, I sent an oil sample in to a lab a few months later. The results came back with a warning that my sample had, "abnormally high amount of silicates" (sand). Needless, to say, the K&N 's came out of all my vehicles (Acura, mustangs, Jeep and truck). Went back to paper filters and the oil results have been normal ever since. My experience was not unique. It was echoed many times throughout that forum.

As for the filter in my coach, I'll trust the filter minder and my oil lab reports.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air