Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #43

Wow - you guys have it easy with your one-a-year paper filter element changes. My manual calls for inspecting/cleaning the oil-bath air cleaner "every 1500 miles, more often in dusty or dirty conditions".

Of course, it's pretty simple to service mine. I only have to drop the pan from the canister, pour off the gallon of oil in it, clean the sludge from the bottom of the pan, refill the oil to the proper level, and put it all back together.

I'm not complaining, just saying that changing a paper filter element once a year would be simple compared to this. Guess it's all relative...
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #44

Been hanging every two years, but I found that last time it was only one year and it required changing. So for me it would be a one to two year change depending on the condition of the filter. Was thinking about a K&N filter but I will have to re think that one and do more research on it.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:46 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
re: K&N - lots of historical and often repeated BS. They work just fine. And don't compromise any warranties other than a service advisor that has read the BS and doesn't really know the difference. Lots of misinformation in this simple thread...
Some people still believe the hype put out by K&N. Here is a test that demonstrates that a paper filter is superior to an oiled cotton like the K&N if removing dirt is your priority. If maximum air flow is your priority, then K&N is the one for you. It's a long and in depth scientific report but covers all aspects of what a filter does. It confirms why I use a paper filter in my coach.

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #46

Interesting deal on filters regarding vehicles used in very dirty conditions. Most of the equipment used in coal piles, mining, farming have dual filters, outer and final.

Outer filters are removed each day and blown out if filter minders indicate and some people just pull them each day and either blow or beat them.

Typically the filters like on our JD's last for years even though during used are pulled and air cleaned each day.

Heavy equipment operators tend to pull them based on the minders and send them in to be cleaned and tested and returned to service.

As to the OP three years for me given I don't drive on dirty roads.

And to add to the KN story I gave my little brother a F550 a few years back. He lives on dirt roads and the service center talked him into a KN filter as he was changing the fiber filter each oil change. The F550 is in the shop and expected out this week with a new engine due to the old one being dusted.

I do make sure my large diesel air filters have the wire mesh screen in the outlet portion.
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Every three years, which = ~ 15,000 miles. Maybe I should rethink.
I do the 3 year change too. last year the owner of the HDT repair center I patronize recommended I extend that to 4 years, because when his technician removed my old filter it was only slightly dirty, and the filter minder was showing the filter at 15/half-way to replacement reading.
I told him I'd read on the internet camping forums about the glue failing in old filters. He asked me who told me that, as he has never heard of it happening; but then he's only been a diesel mechanic for 43 years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #48

K&N reusable filters are useless at stopping fine particulates. Sand and dust will pass right through. You would be money ahead to not run an airfilter and set the money you spend you would spend on the filter, cleaner and oil aside for your rebuild. Use a quality brand paper filter they work.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #49

I changed mine after 8 years although the filter minder wasn't in the red yet.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:18 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 5 year old diesel filter still looks new with 40k miles.
It is wax coated so it does not get wet.
Your wasting big bucks doing it every 1 to 2 years. Especially if you only put on 5-10k miles a year.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #51

Every couple years. My first change out was about a dozen years old when I got the coach. There was even a little rust in the can. Other than a little dirty, paper and glue looked fine upon close inspection.

I've been thinking about getting a semi truck housing and adapting it. They usually have a serviceable housing with a much cheaper element inside. If it were $20 a year instead of over $100 or so I'd change it more often. Plus I'd be able to pop it open and get a good look without destroying the housing.
LPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpsycho View Post
K&N reusable filters are useless at stopping fine particulates. Sand and dust will pass right through. You would be money ahead to not run an airfilter and set the money you spend you would spend on the filter, cleaner and oil aside for your rebuild. Use a quality brand paper filter they work.

The K&N website says the dirter our filters get, the better they work. To me that means when they are clean they are ineffective at stopping fine dust.

This ISO 5011 study on Duramax diesel engine air filters is very informative: ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #53

K&N filters are a joke, if you want a dusted motor. The only good air filter is the Donaldson Blue.
2 strokerClick image for larger version

Name:	20190809_163939.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	273271
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
Interesting deal on filters regarding vehicles used in very dirty conditions. Most of the equipment used in coal piles, mining, farming have dual filters, outer and final.

Outer filters are removed each day and blown out if filter minders indicate and some people just pull them each day and either blow or beat them.

Typically the filters like on our JD's last for years even though during used are pulled and air cleaned each day.

Heavy equipment operators tend to pull them based on the minders and send them in to be cleaned and tested and returned to service.

As to the OP three years for me given I don't drive on dirty roads.

And to add to the KN story I gave my little brother a F550 a few years back. He lives on dirt roads and the service center talked him into a KN filter as he was changing the fiber filter each oil change. The F550 is in the shop and expected out this week with a new engine due to the old one being dusted.

I do make sure my large diesel air filters have the wire mesh screen in the outlet portion.

The last filter I installed had the wire mesh over the paper element. Does this eliminate the concern of paper being ingested into the engine?

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #55
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Every three years for me doing about 6k per year with no inspections in between.
I do this also.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #56

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
The last filter I installed had the wire mesh over the paper element. Does this eliminate the concern of paper being ingested into the engine?
It should.

Tags
air