Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2018, 06:25 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
DP Side Radiator?

I have been searching the forums concerning used DPs and I have seen several comments recommending a coach with a side radiator instead of the rear one. I get that it makes the diesel engine easier to service. But is this a deal breaking or making feature?

Thanks,
Ben
W4TDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #2

For many, a side radiator can be a critical feature. Ease of maintenance and better cooling are two factors to consider. It might be a make/break item for people operating in hotter climates, or hill climbing in the West.

Coaches with rear radiators certainly work, and there are thousands on the road. For me it would be a factor, but not “The Factor”.
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I work on mine and wouldn't have a rear radiator coach.

If you take one to a shop you will pay dearly for maintenance as it will take more man hours of labor due to difficulty of access.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #4

I live in Las Vegas, NV and do a lot of travel in the Summer throughout the Western States with a DP having a rear radiator without any difficulties. I do try and hose out the radiator area every 60 days but have never found anything more than a little rust accumulation. For me this type of radiator has never been an issue.
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:10 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
If you are a DIY person it is great to get a side radiator.
Since I am one of those people to me it was a deal breaker.

When I was in Alaska I lost an alternator.
Drove five days without it until I reached Anchorage where mine could be rebuild.
It was an easy 30 minute removal and then 30 minute reinstall.

I really like the side radiator.
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Only if you need to work on the engine...10 minutes to change the serpentine belt without standing on your head. In 14 years I only cleaned the side radiator several times unlike a rear that needs cleaning every year even if you've added a slobber hose.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:21 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I was flush with cash and did not do my own work, It would not matter. If I did my own work, Which I do, I would certainly go with the side radiator. The side radiator is more complicated. The rear radiator is driven by the engine. The side radiator has to be driven by a separate power source, Usually a hyd. drive. That opens you to more problems. Leaks, etc.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #8

Depending on the size of motorhome you are looking for, you might not have a choice. Most, but not all, coaches under 40' and 400 hp will have a rear model. There are a few 450 hp ones with a rear too. The side mounted one comes into play with higher HP generating more heat. It allows for a larger core for better cooling. The first four DP's I owned had a rear radiator. Only three times in 15 years did I have to do anything on top of the engines. 1 air compressor and 2 alternators. It wasn't a big deal. It's something to consider, but not if you like the rest of the coach.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:38 AM   #9

….rear radiators on older coaches with engine "slobber tubes" was probably a bigger issue.....if you are a DIYer, a side radiator is a must have for me....if not a DIYer, plan on a good extended warranty or have lots of cash on had for routine maintenance and repair....just the thought of changing a serpentine belt, or an alternator, or a hose makes my skin crawl.....don't even ask about a water pump or AC compressor...
PS--friend paid $2000 labor to Cummins to have an alternator replaced on a 2011 Tiffin rear-radiator equipped product ….
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
….PS--friend paid $2000 labor to Cummins to have an alternator replaced on a 2011 Tiffin rear-radiator equipped product ….
They took him to the cleaners big time. I changed one on my 03 Phaeton in less than an hour. Then did it again 10 months later when the replacement failed. I agree, the side radiator is easier to work on, but the rest of the coach would carry more influence in my decision to purchase.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I really like the side radiator! It makes it so easy to get to the engine.

I also love the side exhaust that allows me to use the Protect-a-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad, giving complete protection from rock chips.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Love my RR8S
But I just like looking at my cummins too ;-)
Old 09-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #13

Do yourself a favor, and research the number of recent posts about diesel pusher cooling problems, and total them up by side or rear radiator.

Side rads are desirable for several reasons, but is reliability one of them? You be the judge.

Reality is it's a packaging decision by the chassis maker, as the engine and transmission get larger (longer) rear overhang becomes an issue.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Side makes for easier and less expensive maintenance. You typically pay more for a coach with side radiator. So I can't say the labor savings equates to money savings. As to cooling the engine they both get the job done.

Not a deal killer for me if rear radiator. I have a rear radiator.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator