Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
DP? (Sorry!)

First off, apologies for this question. It's just so important from a financial standpoint and quality of life! Been RVing for a long time. Always a gasser. Approaching semi-retirement. DPer's, any regrets going in that direction? Seriously shopping for my final rig. Thoughts?
frogpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogpond View Post
First off, apologies for this question. It's just so important from a financial standpoint and quality of life! Been RVing for a long time. Always a gasser. Approaching semi-retirement. DPer's, any regrets going in that direction? Seriously shopping for my final rig. Thoughts?
Depends on how you use it. If you drive a lot you'll appreciate the better ride and suspension. If you make 2 trips a year from north to south, then the ride is less important. What do you tow or want to tow. DP has the potential ability, depending on chassis of course, to tow much more than a gasser.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #3

Quote:
You mentioned two things that were important to you--finances and quality of life--the meaning of both are only known to you so we can only generalize in our responses.

Cost-wise, a DP will always be more than a gasser to maintain. How much more will depend on your ability to DIY the routine items and even tackle some more complex repairs. You've had gassers all this time and are likely familiar with repairs. You will lose that familiarity. The "million mile" trouble -free diesel engine is a myth without continued/regular maintenance.

If you plan to drive continually, then a DP may be a better choice for "quality of life", but that is purely subjective, especially since you are used to gassers already. If you are bothered by noise of the gas engine now, then a DP will fix that, but at the cost of maintenance and repair. The air suspension on DPs is, IMO, terrific and a big plus over gassers. Again, it comes with more complexity and need for maintenance.

As far as the coach itself, you will find comparable/identical lay-outs in both types. A DP will cost more initially and more to maintain. The ride comfort and overall durability is superior, IMO. Fuel costs are currently comparable to gas, and economy can be better.

I have a DP because I wanted one and knew of the differences, going in. I've never regretted it.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have no regrets on purchasing a DP for retirement. For us the higher purchase price and maintenance costs are worth the nicer ride and features. But that is not to say a gasser wouldn't also be a fine retirement coach. Have fun shopping for the new coach!
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Owned multiple gassers and TTs over 40 years of rving and now own 1st (and only) DP and loving it. There are too many differences for me to even go into. For me, bought older DP (2007) and expected to spend money to bring it up to nearly new condition but quality wise couldn't be more satisfied.

As you plan for retirement every RV IS GOING TO require constant repair as there is always something breaking down - at least that has been my experience. TTs required the least and MHs required the most and since they include the transport system it is extremely frustrating when it breaks down. Cost is a major factor and DPs cost more money to maintain unless you can do, or learn to do basic maintenance and even then they are more expensive to maintain than a gasser or TT.

An acquaintance once told me (2 years ago when I started seriously considering DPs) that "If you have to ask how much it costs to maintain a DP you can't afford one." While it slowed me down a little as I am very conservative I still made the decision to purchase my DP based on what I wanted and perceived operational cost. His advice may have been good, but he just sold his DP and bought a gasser. Maybe he ran out of money or finally considered his 2 weeks of usage a year wasn't financially feasible. I don't know.

A DP is not for everybody, nor is any MH. Consider what you want and weigh it against your assets and GO FOR IT!!!! Wife and I enjoy traveling but not as full-timing. Would like to go for some longer trips but wife's health not up to it at this time.

Wishing you the best. Enjoy - Richard
Old 12-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #6

Only you can decide on the budget. If it won't break the bank and will use it so the mentioned advantages are of interest I'd lean towards the DP.
We had 2 gamers and enjoyed the heck out of them. Third and likely last... we went DP (mostly my /only driver preference) and absolutely love the ride. Newmar Comfort Drive an addn'l plus.
I've never heard DP negatives other than cost and don't recall any DP owners wishing they had a gasser.
I am NOT saying DP is for everyone... they work fine in many situations and served us well for 15 +/- yrs
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #7

I can't comment on what buying a used DP would bring for repairs and upkeep. I have always bought new from an excellent local dealer and have had very few unexpected expenses. The annual service runs $4-600 and I just add fuel in between. It's certainly more than a gasser would be, but the interior quality and ride more than make up for the difference. We have found the DP experience to be far superior to the gas coaches we have owned in the past. We think we are in our last motorhome and am glad it's a DP. It will serve us till we decide to stop.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #8

You may actually not have a choice depending on which length and weight you choose.

Pretty much if it is 40+ feet, it will be a diesel coach. If it has a tag, it makes it that much better. A side radiator is preferred, especially, if you are doing your own work.

Good luck,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:47 AM   #9
Community Moderator

DP? (Sorry!)

A DP allows you to go with a larger more functional floor plan than a gasser limited to 39 ft. Going to 45 feet allows walk-in closets, large showers, etc. Plus the basement storage on a DP is way better than a gasser. The CCC allows you to take all the items you want, plus full fuel and full water if you want without being overloaded.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Having owned both gassers and DPs, NO regrets.

I don't do my own maintenance but have found a reliable local shop who specializes in diesels with great mechanics and reasonable rates.

Someone will soon post on here about how a DP costs thousands of dollars a year to maintain and list dozens of examples and costs of what could go wrong based on posting of DP owners on this forum. And yes, there is more oil to change and filters are more expensive and there are more of them.

As with any MH purchase it can be a crap-shoot, you will see several horror stories on the forums but on the other hand you don't see everyone posting about their trouble free year(s). This applies to both gas and diesel MHs.

I'm on my 3rd DP and besides oil/filter/belts and other regular maintenance I have not had any problems. I haven't posted about my thousands of trouble free miles.

Only you can make the final decision based on your needs and wants.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I would never want a gasser. I would much rather buy an older, higher-end DP that's been well-maintained, than a new gasser. Our
Windsor was 10 years old when we bought it in 2012, with 84,000 miles. We've never had a problem with the engine, generator or tranny. We have had to replace both A/C units and other smaller things, but that's to be expected.

The ride and handling is outstanding. It has full-body paint that looks almost as good as new. We can carry on a normal conversation while that diesel engine roars 40' behind us, and the list goes on and on......

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Our first motor home was a gas Itasca coach. Our last two have been diesel and I have never regretted the change. The ride is better, quieter and fuel costs are about the same with the higher mileage of the DP. Maintenance costs may be a bit higher, but most gas coaches require two oil changes two one in the DP.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Had a "top of the line" gasser..
Looked at hundreds of coaches. both gas and DP's (Thor/Fleetwood,Winnabago, Newmar.Tiffin... DID NOT like the quality of build & assembly, tank sizes nor the components used)

While camping..long weekend.... had 4 neighbors show us their coaches..
2 Prevost conversions(Marathon & Liberty), Newell & a Foretravel..........

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!
BOUGHT a 40' w/tag .............Foretravel...
Have never looked back.....
only regret is not buying a 42'/45'
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #14

Quote:
3 new dps in 20yrs, absolutely no regrets. Keep maintenance on time and you will have minimal problems. The endurance of a dp is second to none. Just my opinion.
ejl822 is offline   Reply With Quote