Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter Engines

As I understand, the DPF was required on all diesel engines on MH's built between '08 and '11.
A quick Wikipedia search did not give much info on DPF as it concerns MH's but it did say the filter does need to be changed periodically and I read somewhere that it is expensive to replace, like $7000 expensive.

I would like to get more info on this as this is a year range that I might be interested in. I know the filter can be regenerated and there is a specific procedure to accomplish this, but at some point it is my understanding that it will need to be replaced.

Thanks for any info.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #2

Yes the DPF filter can get expensive, my Dad just picked up a 2009 coach that has it. After a manual re-gen that was preformed by a cummins tech at the house, it still wasn't running right, so we pulled the filter and sent it with the tech to put in the oven to be baked. Afterwards it was found that the ceramic filter had cracks and replacement was required. Best price we found for the part was $2k.
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #3

Unless there is a fueling issue that causes the DPF to clog, beyond the ability of the re-gen cycle to clear it , I doubt that most motor homes would require a replacement of the DPF, in the life of the coach, assuming average annual mileage , of under 12k.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityJim View Post
Yes the DPF filter can get expensive, my Dad just picked up a 2009 coach that has it. After a manual re-gen that was preformed by a cummins tech at the house, it still wasn't running right, so we pulled the filter and sent it with the tech to put in the oven to be baked. Afterwards it was found that the ceramic filter had cracks and replacement was required. Best price we found for the part was $2k.
Any reason given as to why it had cracks?
Both sold
Old 07-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
YC1

I can tell you from personal experience and the dumpster full of the filters that they are a money maker for Cummins. Mine cost me a little over 4K last year on my 08. They tried the manual regen and found it cracked.

My rv had been trying to do a regen off and on until it just crapped out and put me into the limp mode. Fortunately Coach Net paid for the tow. Or it would have been a 5K repair.

My extended warranty did not cover anything. I was not happy. My rv only has about 35K miles on it.

They claimed my rv had high idle time. As I did some mental match it is easy to see how one could get to 15% easily. I don't let mine idle more than necessary but short trips allow the math to come out.

A probe was also replaced. I talked to another truck customer there and he said he had gone through two of them and was still in warranty.

A flash upgrade was done on my ecm so the regen cycle should be improved.

If you have a low mileage unit and take lots of short trips it would be worth the 1K to have it taken out and manually cleaned and the ecm updated.

If mine ever fails again it will go into the dumpster and and I will have the ecm reprogrammed. I suspect the mileage would increase a bit too.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #6

Well that's kind of scary.

I haven't seen much discussion on this and other forums about DPF problems so I'm hoping your in the minority.
Both sold
Old 07-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Well that's kind of scary.

I haven't seen much discussion on this and other forums about DPF problems so I'm hoping your in the minority.
Go to the little search box above and to the right. Put in DPF and see what comes up.

Based on the dumpster full of filters I would say it is not uncommon.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
YC1

Home Page || Cummins Power Club - The Power To Keep You Moving

For $20 I saved 10% on parts and labor. That saved me about $400.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Durham Performance in Weatherford, Texas. Just sayin.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:24 PM   #10

The DPF requirement didn't end in 2011. The system is still on all the engines that I'm familiar with. In 2010, the DEF system was added to the mix.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
The DPF requirement didn't end in 2011. The system is still on all the engines that I'm familiar with. In 2010, the DEF system was added to the mix.
Exactly! Without getting too complicated think of a DPF like a catylitic converter (it's a "thing") and DEF is fluid which is injected into the exhaust. With DEF injection and other changes, the DPF doesn't have to work as hard but it is still part of the emissions system.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #12

Google DPF delete, program and a piece of pipe....just sayin

Old 07-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Google DPF delete, program and a piece of pipe....just sayin

The best thing we ever did to our F-450's and ACERT CAT's. Even a GMC 3500 van.
Not spending tens of thousands of extra dollars keeping them running is a plus too.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #14

So when I was in business.. we looked at a process to "service/clean" the filters... we were approached by Donaldson with a turn key package that would allow us to remove the filter, run the filter through a cleaning process and oven cleaning process... the filter was run through an oven to turn all the contamination in the filter to ash and than a pulse air/vacuum process to clean it out... Donaldson's program was designed to do the process in about 1/3 the cost of replacement and after sitting down with the people I had decided that if I'd not already decided to retire I would have bought the system and added it our business..

Also the trucks I've owned that have had the filters would go through a re-gen and the engine ECM would send excess fuel down the exhaust stream during freeway speeds to heat the system up... and burn away the contamination...

My current unit doesn't have this... but if it did I'd go looking for someone with either the Donaldson system...
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine