Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

Drain leak

I there,

Well it's been a week or two that i'm working on this one: i have a drain leakage.
Even though i'm using the kitchen sink, toilet sink or shower, i have leakage between the bedroom and the bathroom.

Curiously, i've been through the bedroom closet , nothing there, i've been underneat the shower (where all the drains join)......no traces of water...

I thought it could have been the water input, but nothing is leaking....

I'm opened to ANY suggestion....i'm desperated a bit.....imagine my spouse!

Regards thanks in advance
Simonmay777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 from Canada.
It may not be a drain if you have hand tighten all the connectors to the drain pipes which show no leakage.
Whats left is your water fittings to toilet and if you have a two piece toilet with a steel band around the bowel and floor flange the band may need to be tighten.
Water will travel from source leak where floor is driest move toward wettest area may find your leak.
If your water tank is under bed may have the feed pipe, to and from, with a cracked thread pipe into tank.
May help to post your RV so we know what we are talking about in your signature.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #3

Does your RV have slides? If so, you might want to check the kitchen sink drain line that moves in and out with the slide on most RV's. The flexing over the years can cause the flexible tubing to finally crack. And water can run a long way before it "comes out". Had this issue on our coach 2 years ago. Not difficult to replace....but you have to be VERY careful when rerouting the replaced line and any electrical/water lines involved under there. If you have a pedal-operated flush on your toilet, you might also check the valve on the side of the toilet...pretty common leak area. Just replaced the one on ours.

Please let us know what you find out....thanks!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #4

Thank you for your fast replies.
My rv is a 1990 general coach citation excella.

I've had my lot of problems with electricity, i paid for repairing it: now it's functional enough i don't want to pay more for that issue.

But the water leak is really annoying.

I've eliminated the input circuit: when i activate the pump and all the faucets are closed: the pump remains silent and no leakage occurs.

I'll read again your replies to extract the pertinent information to my problem: there's alot of good clues in it.

The problem, of course would be easier to sort if i could access averything without destroying evrything.

What i understand is i should start by the end : the grey water tank and try to follow it through the kitchen sink.

Logically tough, it should be between the shower and the grey water tank isn't it ?

Btw: the leakage never occurs using the toilet, and i don't have any slide out
Thanks again in advance and best regards
Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #5

I just had a simular problem, a wet spot on the carpet between the bathroom and the bed room. My problem was the flange seal on the Thetford toilet. Although I did not have a visable leak out side the toilet, or anywhere else I searched, it was leaking onto a small portion of exposed wood not covered by the vinyl flooring underneith the toilet, and then the moisture traveled to a low spot in the hall way. Unlike a wax ring on a home toilet, this sponge type seal needs to be sliped onto the toilet, and then the toilet set inplace on the floor drain. I learned this the hard way.
Hope this helps!
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
I just had a simular problem, a wet spot on the carpet between the bathroom and the bed room. My problem was the flange seal on the Thetford toilet. Although I did not have a visable leak out side the toilet, or anywhere else I searched, it was leaking onto a small portion of exposed wood not covered by the vinyl flooring underneith the toilet, and then the moisture traveled to a low spot in the hall way. Unlike a wax ring on a home toilet, this sponge type seal needs to be sliped onto the toilet, and then the toilet set inplace on the floor drain. I learned this the hard way.
Hope this helps!
thanks for your reply rv lover rvluvin !!!

Well at this point i'm still in my driveway searching for that leakage, but i don't use the toilet.....i'm doing some works like cleaning (using water and getting rid of it in the sinks, and i take a shower once in a while, just for fun and confirm that my vehicule is losing draining water, the shower makes me meditating), but most of the time when i have to use the toilet i go inside the house.

The other test that i've made is put water into each drains, from my house in 4 liters tank, it still occurs so ....it can't be the toilet, but i know, we never know with these "portable houses"

thanks for your suggestion.

My feeling is truly that the leakage occurs in a drain collector somewhere between the shower and the grey water tank but i don't know how to diagnose it since this part is almost imposible to access unless remove the shower and h** shm*** i'd like to find an alternate solution before doing that
Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #7

Perhaps if you bought some of the pink stuff (RV winterizing liquid) and poured it down one drain at a time would help locate the area of the leak?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #8

Good idea, if i could find some phosporescent stuff would be easier....
Thanks for the advice: i'll try it today or tomorrow (i leave a bit remote) i have to go in a more urban area to find that kind of stuff....

Many thanks for this one...

Is there some camera that could be used also ?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #9

Since things are invisible even with coloured liquid, maybe i should use lavender diluted in water and pour it in the kitchen sink....
I know that what will drop will smell, but the remaining smell in the coach could also be an indicator.....?