Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2020, 04:53 AM   #1

Drinking water filters

Americans exposed to toxic chemicals in drinking water 'dramatically underestimated': report

https://www.foxnews.com/health/ameri...timated-reprot
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 05:35 AM   #2
IC2

That article is junk scare science and a Fox filler piece. 44 samples in 31 states is far from representative and unacceptable statistics in a country as large as the US, with a 330 million population.

Regardless of that article, I have a two stage water filtration system for our RV since we have on occasion traveled to areas where the water quality is known to be iffy at best
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:49 AM   #3

Ever hear of Flint?

There are many issues out there all over the country regarding water contamination

It is a big deal

You are not up to speed on water issues

I take it you are a CNN follower?
Old 01-22-2020, 06:05 AM   #4

Having worked in water treatment for 40 years I can assure anyone that there are many more water quality problems than ever get attention

Nitrate levels, fuel leaks and improper chemical dumps have created many issues

Arsenic has been in some areas for years naturally, while Chromium is specific to disposal sites

RO and various water filters are required in many areas while some places can still use dilution for a solution

If you're immune system is compromised watch your water source

I know many of you will and are still drinking from the hose that you picked up off the ground where Cousin Eddie dumped his sewage
Old 01-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Having worked in water treatment for 40 years I can assure anyone that there are many more water quality problems than ever get attention

Nitrate levels, fuel leaks and improper chemical dumps have created many issues

Arsenic has been in some areas for years naturally, while Chromium is specific to disposal sites

RO and various water filters are required in many areas while some places can still use dilution for a solution

If you're immune system is compromised watch your water source

I know many of you will and are still drinking from the hose that you picked up off the ground where Cousin Eddie dumped his sewage
M

Mental note to self. Amazon.com; new drinking water hose....The PO had it stored right next to the sewer hose which was in a leaky old bag.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:41 AM   #6

We use one of these: https://www.propurusa.com/-Propur-Fr...her_p_184.html

Will be installing their under counter system next month.

Also use this when traveling without the MH. https://aquaovo.com/products/alter-e...=7186036490275

I drink a lot of water. Prefer not to have the fluoride and other stuff in my system if I can help it.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #7

We use a RO (reverse osmosis) system at the house, and will bring/buy water on a trip. I chose not to drink water from my holding tank or park water even if run through a carbon filter as they only filter out so much. There are a lot of pesticides and chemicals in ground water these days.
Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:53 AM   #8

Water

Speaking for our rig, we bring gallon jugs of bottled water for cooking and drinking. We use the hose attached filter and have a whole house filter on the rig but never drink the water out of the tank or from a city source.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use the Camco in-line blue filter at the spigot, and a high-quality 1/2 micron carbon-block filter under the sink with separate faucet that we use for all consumable water!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We use the Camco in-line blue filter at the spigot, and a high-quality 1/2 micron carbon-block filter under the sink with separate faucet that we use for all consumable water!
Ditto what they do.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Ever hear of Flint?

There are many issues out there all over the country regarding water contamination

It is a big deal

You are not up to speed on water issues

I take it you are a CNN follower?

Fox, CNN... Uh... both have covered Flint's water problem. I'll leave it to viewers to decide if the coverage was accurate.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #12

We use a Rain Fresh RO system that has worked well and am considering getting another one to replace the costly to maintain Kinetico unt at home.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I had been using the blue Camco in-line filters until I hooked one up to a spigot at a park on my way home from AZ. I had been using this filter for a couple of weeks in AZ. I turned on the spigot at this other park kinda fast with just the filter attached.
You would not believe the brown crap that came out the end of that filter for the first couple of seconds. They must have some kind of bypass, and when the flow is high, allows whatever the filter has trapped goes right on thru !!
Old 01-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I had been using the blue Camco in-line filters until I hooked one up to a spigot at a park on my way home from AZ. I had been using this filter for a couple of weeks in AZ. I turned on the spigot at this other park kinda fast with just the filter attached.
You would not believe the brown crap that came out the end of that filter for the first couple of seconds. They must have some kind of bypass, and when the flow is high, allows whatever the filter has trapped goes right on thru !!
Lots of possibilities on this type of thing, from the filter element inside the canister tearing from the water being turned on suddenly to the brown water being caused by rust in the lines which was not captured by the filter. Not all filters can capture rust in the water. Those Camco in-line filters are not the highest quality units out there, and they are not going to filter the finer particles.

In spite of the problems that hit the news from time to time, the drinking water in our country is by and large safe to drink. For every problem or contamination documented in the news, there are millions of people drinking perfectly safe water from their taps.

In fact, much of the bottled drinking water is simply tap water which has been filtered for better taste.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water